Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Beijing, Taipei, and Hong Kong - what do I wear for business and play time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been getting mixed information from people here in the states who have been to the Far East over the past several years. I want to be comfortable, especially in the heat, but I also don't want to offend anyone.

Business-wise, I will be doing some presentations for training of internal employees inside my company as well as some sessions for customers. Is "business formal" (a suit with matching jacket and skirt/pants) necessary, or can I get away with nice pants and jacket that don't match? If I should do business formal, can anyone recommend places to buy clothes not too expensively there? The summer suits are already gone from my local stores....

When I'm playing (sightseeing, shopping, eating), are shorts and Tevas or sandals okay? How about cotton sundresses?

Thanks!
Kathy
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Kathy - I'll only comment on Hong Kong.

If depends on what kind of company you're presenting to. If it's a "business" business (banks, insurance, mutual funds, etc) located in Central, Causeway Bay or Tsimshatsui; I suggest you wear a suit. That's because even new hires who do nothing but file stuff away dress up if they work in one of the "big buildings" in Central.

They will not disrepect you for not dressing like them, but they'll probably just think Americans dress like crap.

I'm a man, so I may have a different take on shorts/sandals in Hong Kong. But here in Houston, I wear jean shorts and Tevas throughout the summer wherever I go. But in Hong Kong, I feel like my feet and toes need more "protection" when taking buses/subways, etc. You'll also need to dress up if you're eating at one of the top restaurants in one of the 5* hotels.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM

I think it might be wise if you compared Beijing, Taipei and Hong Kong to Manhattan when deciding what to wear. They are all world-class cities. Suits would be appropriate for business presentations. For play, something more casual and trendy, such as nice t-shirts and capris or peasant skirts. I think that shorts and tevas would stamps you as a tourist instantly. I've traveled to the Far East several times, and in my opinion, most people in the cities dress much more nicely there than in the US.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM

hi
have to agree with the above - best to stick to suits. However, if it is the same company, don't they have a dress policy for these Asian countries? E.g. where I used to work it was smart casual.

as I mentioned before, G2000 is a great place to buy light smart business attire at very cheap prices. Without being rude though, please note that sizes may not be as extensive as in western countries.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, this is exactly the input I wanted. I had wondered about someone (originally from Beijing) who told me that "business casual" would probably be good enough; I will pack at least 1 suit!

bkkmei - is G2000 in Beijing or just Hong Kong? Will the hotel concierge be able to help me find it?

Thanks a bunch!

Kathy
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Kathy

I'm sorry, I forgot that you're going to Beijing first. Basically G2000 is a HK store and can be found there everywhere. But a lot of these HK stores e.g. Giordano, G2000, U2, Bossini etc. have spread to China. Problem is I can't find out where as their (G2000) website doesn't seem to give such info on my pc.

My guess though is that outlets would be available within a larger department store. The main shopping area in Beijing is Wangfujing - this has all kinds of shops and department stores and shopping malls. I'm sure somewhere there you'll be able to find smart clothes for yourself, if not a G2000 outlet.

rgds & best of luck
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:58 AM

DEF a business suit. HK is one of the best dressed cities I have seen w.r.to everything - suits, bags, shoes, accessories. A more exp but good option to shop is Lane Crawford - your concierge shd be able to direct you. Great womens wear. Sundresses are fine for casual wear - you will see loads of Chin women in them too.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, you all! I'm in Beijing now, and just wandered around in a sundress and sandals. I don't think how I was dressed was unusual... however, I am blonde and 5'7". so I didn't blend in to the crowd in other ways! bkkmei, I'll try some of your suggestions for shopping. I did bring a light weight wool suit I can wear in a pinch, but I would like to see what I can find here.

Thanks again,
Kathy