Please help with hotel location Tokyo

Oct 6th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Please help with hotel location Tokyo

hi there! My DH and I will be in Japan for almost three weeks in March and Iíve worked out our itinerary and hotels all except for Tokyo. Iíve made reservations
at two hotels for our five night stay-Century Southern Tower and Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi.
I have to cancel one. Shinjuku location looks great all around. Mitsui Garden looks very well located close to Tokyo Staion with Shinkansan to Kanazawa and subway to Asakusa right out the door. I guess my question is how do you find the area in Kyobashi? I imagine quiet with a lot of businesses. I know either Hotel/location would be fine but Iíd love to hear what you Tokyo experts think! Thanks.
Oct 6th, 2018, 10:04 AM

OK. It took me a while to pull up links of these hotels as links are helpful. At first I thought the Mitsui Garden Hotel, that you have posted above, was the brand new one that opened last month. But, I then noticed that that one is in Nihonbashi which is also close to Tokyo Station and not that far from the one that you have posted.

The Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi is a good location. I'm sure that I have walked the area as one area where I go shopping is in Nihonbashi at Mitsukoshi department store and also the one in Ginza. Those areas of Kyobashi, Nihonbashi, Marunouchi, and Ginza are not far from either other and I have most likely wandered into the Kyobashi area while out on a walk. However, I don't remember specifically how the Kyobashi area was, but there was nothing negative that popped up in my mind. My hotel, in Marunouchi, is a 5-minute walk from Tokyo Station, accessed out both the Central Yaesu and South Yaesu entrances of Tokyo Station. I walk the adjoining areas a lot.

I personally like being near Tokyo Station as I'm in and out of it quite a bit. Plus, it was really handy for when I took the Shinkansen to and from Kyoto in July/August. A hotel staff member and I walked to the Shinkansen train, in July, and when I arrived back to Tokyo in August, the same hotel staff member was waiting for me at the Shinkansen platform in front of my train car number and we walked back to the hotel together. The hotel had made a copy of my Shinkansen tickets upon my July arrival into Tokyo. The previous summer, I had flown to Osaka-Itami airport and then taken a shuttle to Kyoto (1hr20min). But, it was so nice and relaxing taking the Shinkansen train this past summer until I plan to stick with the train whenever possible.

As for which hotel and area for you to select, that's totally personal. I am one who has gone over to Shinjuku quite a bit, but to do specific shopping. But, I personally don't care to stay in Shinjuku although there are those who love it. I just find it too busy for my own preference and personally prefer both Marunouchi and the areas surrounding it as mentioned above as they just seem quieter and less busy. I'm out all day in busy, crowded areas and personally like coming back to a hotel in an area that is quieter in the evenings.

As for Shinjuku, I've also been in and out of the Shinjuku train station many times and haven't gotten lost although many find it to be confusing. It's the busiest train station in the world.

So, as to which hotel/location to select, I think it basically comes down to personal preference. I'm one who likes to be as close to easily-accessible public transportation options as possible and especially when it's either pouring rain or I'm really tired. Once I get off of public transportation, after a long day, I like to be close to my hotel

Have a great trip.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Oct 6th, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Oct 6th, 2018, 04:30 PM

I like the Kyobashi area. I've stayed at the Marriott Courtyard (about a block fro the Mitsui Garden) and enjoyed that it is close to Tokyo station and lots of subway stations. It is a little quiet at night, but you are right on the edge of the Ginza. There are plenty of places to eat in the neighborhood, as well as at Tokyo Station and in the several large Department stores down the block. It's walking distance to the main parts of Ginza, and a longer, but still interesting walk to the Tsukiji Market area.

Shinjuku can be very busy, but on certain sides of the station are also mostly schools and office buildings, and not very interesting or lively. Sorry, but I'm not sure exactly sure where the century tower is.
Oct 6th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Guenmai and Icuy- appreciate your input. Iím leaning towards the Kyobashi area with its very convenient location. I didnít know about the new Mitsui Garden Nihombashi and Iím going to consider that one too. It has a beautiful looking bath and that would be fun after a long day thanks again!
Oct 6th, 2018, 06:58 PM

You're welcome. If I were to choose, it would be either Kyobashi area or Nihonbashi. And if you're in Ginza on a weekend, the main street in Ginza is closed to pedestrian traffic. I had great fun walking around on both a Saturday and Sunday back in August 2018. There were a lot of people out and about in the pedestrian street, but it was a totally different vibe than what I have experienced being among the crowds in Ginza.

And as Lucy has mentioned, there are plenty of places where one can eat in the area and nearby, surrounding area. Food should not be a problem. Also attached to Tokyo Station is Daimaru Department store, one of my favorites, and inside that structure there are lots of restaurants and a food court in the basement. I have eaten at some of the restaurants in the Daimaru structure and they were quite good. I even liked the Italian restaurant there.

In August, one of the restaurants where I ate in that Daimaru structure, was an unagi (eel) restaurant, as I love eel, and it was full of Japanese families and couples. It was a really pleasant experience and with the tables being close to each other, folks started up conversations with me in basic English. The waitresses were also great and very pleasant and happy.

Also, if you happen to end up in Nihonboshi, the food courts in the basement of both Takashimaya department store and Mitsubishi department store are great. I love the food courts and there are some delicious fried shrimp in panko and they're not oily at all.

I highly recommend the food vendor called, Sozai, which is my favorite. That food is really good. It's a chain and found in department store basement food courts. If I'm out and about and get hungry and don't feel like stopping for a restaurant meal, then I go to a food court and get some food to go. I'm away for 3 weeks, in Japan, and have a mixture of types of places where I eat, depending on what food mood I'm in and also how busy or tired I might be.

https://www.google.com/search?q=R1F+Sozai&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CS1q4NyfgMtYI jgUdm4h7qdhh3_1w-GhtNjUBaYQGOxDvP1ZQz_13sZDm3DIqn5eRi9miW-deS8gH0tR2rJSP8a_16HmCoSCRR2biHup2GHEQZX43KzGHAMKh IJf_1D4aG02NQERfaQEs9S8GUQqEglphAY7EO8_1VhHxt0c93L RKByoSCVDP_1exkObcMERJG_1u9geTIJKhIJiqfl5GL2aJYR_1 gdSsrH6pdwqEgn515LyAfS1HRHxt0c93LRKByoSCaslI_1xr_1 oeYEQeIi7k3eO39&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQr6uF0NXcAh WNMN4KHXaSDV0Q9C96BAgBEBg&biw=1264&bih=616&dpr=1

Below is another photo of Sozai, but one of the ones in Hong Kong. But, when looking for one, wherever, the sign is easy to spot.

https://www.citysuper.com.hk/en/city.../June-2015/RF1

[floor guide] [Daimaru Tokyo]

Have a great trip!

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Oct 6th, 2018 at 07:18 PM.
Oct 6th, 2018, 10:24 PM

efarr99: I just came upon the below video that Mike published in July 2018. I didn't come across it before I left for Japan in July. But, I was already aware of the department store food as it wasn't my first time in Japan. I like a variety places/restaurants where I can either eat in or get food to go.

Enjoy!

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Oct 6th, 2018 at 10:48 PM.
Oct 7th, 2018, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Guenmai- thank you for all the information and videos. Looks amazing!
Oct 7th, 2018, 07:36 AM

You're very welcome.

Oh, and I need to make a one-word correction in my #5 post above as it should have read, "....but it was a totally different vibe than what I have experienced being among the crowds in SHINJUKU. I accidentally typed, "Ginza". And also, "Mitsubishi" should be "Mitsukoshi". That one is an auto-correction problem as auto correction changes it to "Mitsubishi".

Sorry, for the typos. I'm usually multi-tasking while also typing fast and don't always catch the typos and incorrect, auto corrections until later.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Oct 7th, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
Oct 7th, 2018, 04:05 PM
mjs

I think both locations are fine but different. Tokyo station and Shinjuku are the two main train stations in Tokyo and its pretty easy to get to almost anywhere from either station. It depends on where you are going as to whether one is better than the other in this regard. Tokyo is definitely better than Shinjuku for the Shinkansen for an example. The locations are different in that the area on one side of Tokyo station near the Palace is full of tall buildings and dead at night while the side towards the Ginza is full of shops, department stores etc. Lots of restaurants especially in the underground next to the station. Shinjuku station has one side full of tall Government buildings that is dead at night and the other side is full of shops and stores and restaurants and entertainment. Ginza tends to be more upscale and business while I think of the Shinjuku area as being in some ways more mainstream in terms of people although this may be stretching it a bit. Lots more happening in Shinjuku than Ginza if you are young.
Oct 7th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mjs! Weíre not young anymore but would certainly enjoy walking around a bit after dinner. It really is hard to get a sense of a neighborhood if youíve never been there before!
Dec 14th, 2018, 11:37 AM

efarr where did you decide to book in Tokyo?
Dec 15th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Yestravel. After much hemming and hawing I decided on the Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi by Tokyo Station. I think itís central location was the most important thing for me. Easy access to Asakusa and Shinkuju- only 10-15 min without transfer. Also Shinkansen to Kanazawa when we leave. I also considered the Gate Hotel in Asakusa but decided it was a little out of the way. Are you planning a visit?
Dec 15th, 2018, 08:23 AM

I stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel Otemachi and found it to be the perfect location. It was within walking distance of Tokyo Station but in a nice quiet part of town. There were washing machines in the hotel, the staff spoke English and there was a delightful little restaurant. Have a great trip
Dec 15th, 2018, 09:34 AM

efarr -- thanks! Would love to hear how it works out for you. Tokyo Station does seem to be a good location. Yes, we're going in September/Oct. We'll be in Tokyo a week so was hoping to find a place that has a little bit larger rooms without spending a fortune. Did you join the club that they advertise as giving lower rates?

buzz - how long did it take to walk to Tokyo Station? Did you join the club?
Dec 15th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes I joined their rewards program for the best price. Twin rooms are 258 sq feet. Price wise, it was halfway between the Century Southern Tower and the Gate Hotel in Asakusa.