Reload this Page >

TOKYO HOTEL Similar to Hotel Granvia Kyoto

Notices

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a hotel in Tokyo that is similar to the Hotel Granvia Kyoto.

I am looking for a similar type hotel with a similarly great location (trains, shopping, dining).

I plan to stay in Tokyo and make day trips to a variety of places by train. I prefer an area where there might be a variety of places within walking distance. Night life is not on my list (bars, discos). However, a park or lovely view is.

I don't want a "Wall Street" type area that is deserted at night. I'm looking for ambience, eating, shopping and interesting walks.

My price range per night is $150. - $250. per room.

If anyone has stayed at the Granvia Kyoto and a similar type place in Tokyo, I will greatly appreciate any opinions.

Other ideas for very nice, very clean Tokyo hotels in great locations welcome.

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM

C W I - I have no personal knowledge of this hotel but it is written up in the September issue of the Natl Geographic Traveler - it is near Shimbashi Station which is one away from Tokyo so good for day trips.

Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza - seems to be in your price range...

Hope that helps...I know more about budget hotels ;-)
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Chocolate:

we enjoyed the Park Hotel in the Shiodome comlex....yes, it is in an office structure, but "walking close" to the Ginza, and a convenient subway station is reached through a tunnel full of shopping.

It was elegant, unique and about $175 when the yen was 117-1. Go to their web pages below...several restauarants in the basement, and in the adjacent Shiodome complex, in addition to the hotels own restaurants...great views from the hotel, which begins at the 25th floor...offices below. We would certainly stay there again.

Stu T.
http://www.parkhoteltokyo.com/
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Chocolate,

I have stayed and enjoyed the Kyoto Granvia which is in a great location for transport, shopping and restaurants.

A similar hotel and location in Tokyo imo is the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku. It's not connected to the train station as the Granvia is but is only a five minute walk away. If you stay here just as the Granvia I advise not getting the cheapest rooms but one grade above to avoid the smaller rooms.

Here is an excerpt of a previous post in support of the Shinjuku neighborhood and all it has to offer.

"Shinjuku offers what a lot of other neighborhoods in Tokyo cannot, a little of everything.

Shinjuku, being one of the biggest and most diverse areas in Tokyo, offaers you, Shinjuku West, which is located out the west exit of the Shinjuku train station (which is Tokyo’s busiest) home to the financial district of West Tokyo with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building at it’s center. You can go up to the top of two of the towers here for free and have spectacular views of Tokyo. On a clear day you can see all the way to Yokohama and have picture perfect shots of Mt. Fuji that we enjoyed on our April visit this spring.

Two of the hotels that we have used on our visits to Shinjuku are located in this area, The Keio Plaza Hotel and The Century Hyatt Hotel.

Right above the train station is where the major shopping area is. Shinjuku is a paradise for shoppers. It has more department stores than anywhere else in Japan. The most famous are Takashimaya-Times Square, Isetan, Mitsukoshi, Marui, My City and Odakyu.
Shinjuku boasts the biggest camera shops, such as Sakuraya, Yodobashi Camera and Bic Camera. Only Akibara(sp) has bigger.

Music lovers will find their happiness at Tower Records and HMV.
Out the east exit of the station will take you to the Kabuki cho district which is entertainment district par excellence and one of the hottest places in Tokyo, with hostess bars, adult video shops, soap lands (massage parlors), strip bars and love hotels
And of course my favorite part of Shinjuku the Takadanobada District with all of it’s cute, quaint, shops and restaurants which remind me of a time in the past.

Here are some links to hotels we have enjoyed in Shinjuku"

http://www.keioplaza.com/index.html

http://digbig.com/4nkhf

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aloha!

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM

The Century Southern Tower is closer to the Shinjuku station than Keio or Century Hyatt. It has awesome reviews in tripadvisor.com

CST is a 4-star hotel with limited service--there is no bell service and no room meal service. There is concierge staffed with helpful English speakers. However, the location is excellent and it's newer than the above two hotels and others around Shinjuku station. The view is also amazing and the design is very modern.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be looking into all the hotels mentioned.

I really had no idea which area of Tokyo to stay in.

This will be a great start to planning a visit to Tokyo.

Thanks again.