Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Planning a 10-12 day trip for $2K- where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby has about 20 days off of work the end of this month into July, so we're decided to take a spur of the moment trip. He's a pilot for Delta so we fly for free, standby, wherever Delta goes. Standby to Asia could be tough, bc there are several legs, but it can be done.
I have been to SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, & Cambodia), but my husband has a clean passport. (I enjoyed Thailand and Vietnam, not so much Cambodia) We don't want to "rough it" if we don't have to. We enjoy sightseeing somewhat. More, we enjoy walking around towns, enjoying good, local food and wine. A little bit of adventure is good, but I don't want to hike 500 miles in 5 days- lol. Any thoughts at all? We'll be flying from Atlanta.
Our first thought we to go to Europe, as H has never been. But it doesn't look possible on our budget. TIA for any advice you can give.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Consider the Philippines- your $$$ go far, everyone speaks English, and the people are warm and friendly. You can get 4/5 star accomodations for maybe $100/night or less.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Ditto BillTs comments re India. On your budget you will get good acco and is reasonably well connected out of the US. Only issue is places to go to in July which is peak summer are a bit limited. You could also look at Bali - again a destination where that kind of money goes far - great resorts, restaurants, etc. Any interest in Latin America? That amount will take you far in Argentina. 10-12 days is just right to see Buenos Aires, the Iguazu Falls and the Patagonian glaciers. Great food, drink, etc.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Thailand is certainly an option as well. As you can see, there are many options in Asia. The places in Asia that are more expensive are Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore. By the way, wine is pretty expensive in most Asian countries.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:18 AM

Here is the Delta destination map for Asia/ME.
http://www.delta.com/travel/plan/des...east/index.jsp
A lot of choice if you can use Delta codeshares, but otherwise it looks like Delta flies only to Tokyo and Bombay.

On that budget, you could visit Japan for 8 days, depending on how much you spend on <b>sake</b>.

I think that hobbes has the best idea, though I would modify the trip just a bit.

Fly to Buenos Aires. Have Aregentine beef and wine. Buenos Aires is very strollable. Do a day trip to a town (I forget the name) on the Tigre train line. Do a day trip to Colonia, Uruguay. This would be a hydrofoil trip across the mouth of the Plata. You could then go on to Montevideo, Uruguay, or return to Buenos Aires. Then buy a ticket and fly to Iguazu, Argentina (IGU) to see the falls.

From Iguazu, fly to Santiago, Chile, to enjoy Chilean wine, food, and strolling! Then back home.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:21 AM

The problem, of course, is that it will be mid-winter down there at the end of June.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

South America is an option, but Argentina would be waaaay too cold!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Delta just started flying to Chennai last month. South India is a much better place to visit in the summer because of weather.

Cities to see - Chennai, Pondicherry, Kerala, Mysore, Bangalore, Goa