Picking a Ryokan in Hakone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to spend a night at a ryokan in Hakone. We will be traveling by train from Kyoto on our way to Tokyo so will have our luggage. Could someone please recommend one that has a private toilet and private bath? Also, close to a train stop. And we are not big on trying new food. Do they give you menus? Or could we opt out of the food? How do you contact them to make a reservation. Do they take credit cards? New at this. Thanks.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM

The nicer areas in Hakone are not near the train station in my opinion. You need to get away from Odawara and take the Odakyu transportation system. Of all the areas, I liked Gora best. There are ryokan for all budgets and all styles, with meals or without (though restaurants for dinner are few). All can be contacted directly to reserve, though many have no English website. japanican.com and japaneseguesthouses.com have a very limited selection and you can reserve through them in English.

What is your budget for the night and what style are you looking for?

We spent one night, and found we would have preferred two nights to be able to see more of the area.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Budget about $500 for a couple for 1 night. I thought close to a train would be better since we will have the big luggage.
We want the experience of having a private bath attached to the room.
And we need to pay by credit card.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Often the ryokans provide free transfer service between ryokan and let's say the railway station. It may be worth inquirying so you don't have to limit your choice to those near the station.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:52 PM

labern116,

Did you consider using the courrier service (takkyubin) if you're stayin in Hakone as a transit point from X (say Tokyo) to Y (say Kyoto)? You can just use an overnight bag that way.

Most upscale ryokans in your budget range should have a private toilet and a sink attached to the room. Though the whole appeal of hakone ryokan is in large and various bathtubs, which are communal (of course not co-ed). You MAY be able to reserve a small bath for private use in some.

Food--they usually do not have menu in advance because what chef serves depends on what's available in the market that day. But no harm telling them if there are particular food you don't like. Basically you should be ok if you enjoy regular Japanese food like sashimi, miso soup or tempura. Most places have traditional Japanese breakfast (rice, miso soup, broiled fish, etc) but some MAY be able to offer western breakfast. I won't consider opting out of food as there are limited dining options once you're in Hakone.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Do you have info on takkyubin, like how much and how to arrange?

Also, I read that you could check your luggage over night at the train station. Is this correct? Any info on this?
Thanks in advance for all the great info on here.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM

here is some info on baggage delivery in Japan. You would have your hotel bell desk make the arrangements or the front desk of your ryokan

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Aloha!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM

In addition, rooms w/ indoor/outdoor onsens are for example,
Ginyu:
http://www.hakoneginyu.co.jp/english/guestroom.html
Ichinoyu:
http://english.ichinoyu.co.jp/index.html
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Somehow my post doesn't show up.

Go to Odawara by shinkansen, buy the Hakone Freepass and then to Yumoto by Odakyu. There in the station, they have the luggage delivery service(operated by Odakyu Group) to most of ryokans in Hakone. http://hakone.syuriken.jp/hakone/1/carry.jpg
Left click to enlarge.