Half day on Phuket-what should we see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be coming off Star Clipper in the early morning Nov. 29 and have a flight out at 1:50pm. I plan to hire a driver and go sightseeing and then to the airport. What do you suggest we see or where should we have the driver take us for 4-5 hours of touring? We will have been to beaches on the cruise and don't want to go shopping.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Hmm... Tough question, since there aren't many sights around Phuket, that you can see in that limited time frame. The main "must see" sight around Phuket is Phang Nga bay, but that takes all day. There are not ancient temples or anything like that.

About the only thing I can think of would be the "old" buildings in Phuket town. There are several nicely restored Sino-Portuguese shophouses along Thalang Road (?) as well as some old European mansions around Krabi street.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM

there is a nice overview of kata beach which is quite nice, but i agree with michael there really is not much to see
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM

go have a good lunch by the water... mon's kitchen would be a fantastic place
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM

You would have time to go to KOK CHANG elephant safari, not far from Kata beach and have a quick elephant ride. Then have lunch at Little viewpoint restaraunt,an open air treehouse that overlooks Kata beach, a very unique experience but not fine dining. From there you could go see the new giant statue of Buddah that would be nearing completion. You could also drop into Wat Chalong on the way to the airport.

Unlike others on this forum, I think there are a lot of great things to do and see in and around Phuket, but your problem is time as the airport is quite a long way from the better and more interesting sights.

Call or email one of the drivers that I gave you the link for on your other thread and ask them for any other suggestions in your given time frame.

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

shanek:
I emailed 4 drivers from Cathyandgary's pages. Only 2 responded, one was busy and one was too expensive. I looked for recommendations on TA also and hired a guide named Kom to pick us up at the airport when we arrive on Phuket to take the cruise, then take us around a week later after the cruise and back to the airport. Here's his suggestions:

09.00 - 11.30 from patong to karon beach ,katabeach ,big buddha,chalong temple
11.30 - 12.10 from chalong temple to phuket airport

He is charging 600 baht for airport to Patong, then 1200 baht for the 5 hour tour.

He knows where we can stop for a quick cheap lunch on the way to the airport.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Hi Susie,

That seems to be around the going rate for a decent air conditioned car for 5 hours considering the distance you will be travelling, maybe a little on the high side but not too much. The thing is, you only seem to be travelling for 3 hours if that iteinery is correct. What time and where do you disembark the Star Clipper?

If he is picking you up at 7, I would ask to go to the temple first and then see the Big Buddha and get to Kata beach late morning when the restaraunts open and have a brunch there before you go to the airport. Do ask to go to the restaraunt/bar near Kata viewpoint not far from the Elephant trekking place (KOK CHANG) as the view is spectacular and if you dont have time for an elephant ride you can still wizz past and get to see the elephants and gibbons there. There is not much point in stopping at both Kata and Karon beach but the drive from Kata to Patong is nice (past Karon).
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

All I know is the Star Clipper is supposed to arrive at 7:00am at Patong unless the weather is bad. Then it goes to Phuket Town. Because we have to tender off, it could take a while. I am having Kom pick us up at the airport on Nov. 22 when we arrive on Phuket for the cruise so I will ask him about us being first off the ship and starting to tour earlier post cruise.

I can't ride an elephant as I have allergies, but going by to see them night be fun. I do want to see the temple and Buddha.

Susie