Search

Phuket Tailor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket Tailor

Any good tailor suggestions for myself and my son to have a few suits made in early July?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:44 PM

many people think it is better to have tailoring done in bangkok if you possibly can...
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

We will only be in BKK for 3 (5 nights) full days-with several tours scheduled.

My wife wanted her beach time, so we have 8 nights in Phuket.

I didn't want to add more to our Bangkok activities if I can avoid it.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM

I have bought a few suits in Phuket at a couple of different shops. I've never been disappointed. If I can find any of their cards I'll post them, but I think you'll be satisfied at most places. If you wind up taking a taxi at all I'm sure your driver won't be at a loss for recommendations. I tend to prefer the tailors in Phuket town as they seem to have a better selection of fabrics. Patong beach has plenty of good tailors though and if that's where you're staying it might be more convenient. They normally take 2 days but you can get next day work done. Also if you don't tell them to double stitch, they won't.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for great tips jak1975.

Funny you mention the stitching-I purchase 3 suits in Bangkok last year. No back left pockets on the pants-didnt realize until back in the US. No big deal, I just thought it was funny.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM

If you get in downtown Bangkok by 6:30PM you can make an advanced appointment for 8:30.Tell tailor, maybe you want to use Monet Sarto-100 yds. behind Marriott,email him in advance, you will do 3-4 fittings but you will only pay after final fitting and you are completely satisfied and let him ship it home. He usually will split DHL cost with you so it will cost $50USD tops and you don't have to carry it. By making an 8:30PM appointment you have time to grab a bite local restaurant and get taxi for $2-$3 before going to his shop.That first appointment will take 1 hour to pick out cloth (better to get 120 and 140 superfine Cannali, Valentino, Zegna fabric than just the super 80-100 wools. The cost difference on slacks is $10-$15 a pair and $30-$50 tops on a suit. After your tour the first day and before dinner go for second fitting at 6:30. This visit will take no more than 45 minutes to one hour based on how much you are buying.But don't settle. Take the extra 15 minutes to communicate what you want. If you have a suit or slacks that fit great bring them it sometimes accelerates the process.Then after second tour day and before dinner go for third fitting. This took me about 1/2 hour. The tailor offerred to come to my hotel but I suggest to do it on his turf. Tell him on your last night you will come back to try everything on expecting it to be perfect and then you pay him and let him ship it home on the last day you are in Asia so you are home when it arrives.If you use Jack at Monet Sarto behind the Marriott on mezzanine level he will split shipping so DHL will cost you $50-$60 tops, as I said.
He does a great job on mens clothes but just o'k on ladies clothing based on our experience in April. But of the $1100 I spent total only about $225-$250 was for my wife. They are quite wearable but not finely tailored but also they were for casual cruise/cruise outfits. If it is for ladies suits he would do a first rate job in my opinion.
You might mention Stan and Linda Kase sent you and raved about quality of mens tailoring and that he quoted us very fair prices. It may save you $100 if you by enough and tell him if you are fully satisfied you will put it on the Fodor's site. That helps more than my name, probably. Six slacks of the finest material (sell for $200-$250 in US), 4 chino-type wrinkle resistant slacks (sell for $65-70 and 1 sport jacket Sell for $500+/- was about $800 with shipping. It is true I spent 5-6 hours between fittings and going there and out to eat but it was worth it for suits, slacks and sport jackets. I did not have shirts made.It's not worth the time unless you are hard to fit in sport or dress shirts.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Stan - Is this tailor behind the JW or the Marriott Resort and Spa?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Stan-I agree about the shirts. The clothes my wife (Vker) and I purchased last year, the poorest quality were shirts.

We will try this place out-but we want know which Marriott its near, we are staying at the Resort and Spa 2 nights.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:20 PM

it is in the mall attached to the marriott resort and spa on the river....you take the skytrain to taskin, go down stairs towards the river....there are two or 3 boat docks...wait on the hotel dock and you will see the hotel boats come...the marriott boat comes every 15 minutes...its a fantastic 12 minute ride (free)...walk along the dock to the pool area, walk by the hotel pool...through the lower lobby, across the drive-way....through the mall area and go up stairs to the upper level...he is on the right when you have the hotel to your back, or to the left as you come off the center stairs...his shop overlooks the parking lot on the street side...monet il sarto is the shop, and he is 'jack'....you may get $101. off if you mention both stan and karen and bob...haha

his shirts are excellent...he often has a special of 6 for $80 or with better cloth slightly more....i have been wearing them for years...make the sleeves extra long as i find they shrink badly, but not the rest of the shirt..odd really...

karen has been very pleased with several things he has made for her...she sews so that may help as they are endlessly discussing this or that option and detail and tweeking the fit....the key is the more fittings the better the product...jack is a perfectionist too...he has to work with your available time however..

i have had fittings in my hotel room as well and delivery in the room or at the front desk...don't leave everything to the last minute however for security and sanity... he will come all over the city to your hotel...he lives near sukhumvit so it is easy for him...
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your VERY helpful responses. I think we will try to see him the day we get to Bangkok.

As far as discounts go, when he sees that I am 6' 5" and my son is 6' 4 & 1/2" (I can not let my son think he will match or exceed my height.) , I will be lucky not to pay a markup.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:32 AM

you have big measurements from top to bottom, i have big measurements from side to side....he takes this into consideration in pricing but it is not much really....yours is much easier to deal with honestly....

go as early as you can in your stay as the more time allowed the better off you are....he gets in around 10 usually and works till about 8-9PM....if i remember correctly...

you might just touch base with him on line in advance to set something up...he sometimes is off seeing clients at some hours so you would not want to waste your time and his assistant is of no help at all....
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:34 AM

tker;If you are going tell me when for I just ordered some additional slacks. I'd be glad to email him and remind him "word-of-mouth" if sometimes the best adverising. I doubt he will charge you more (if so, $5-$10 based on an item just for the fabric) but not for the workmanship.
I will even try to get you a discount,if you want me to email him. Unfortunately, I did not get one on my initial purchase but I am on future orders.You really should have 3 fittings. If you are ordering enough, he will come in early (usually opens at 10AM) but if you had one fitting at 9AM and his busy bees work on it that day you could have another one at 6:30-7PM that same day so one the first night, 2 the next day and a final the next morning and you would get a quality product.I truly believe the more fittings (I had 4) the better the tailoring.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

That's great-we land in Bangkok on Sunday June 25 at 4pm-we are on the non=stop from JFK. We are staying at the Resport and Spa Marriott for the first 2 nights and then the Peninsula 2 nights.

Do you think he would meet us the Sunday we arrive-around 7-8pm? If so, that would be perfect and allow time for all fittings.

If not, we can meet him the afternoon (3-4p) of the the 26th as we have a tour in the morning. This would just make the subsequent fittings tighter to schedule.

I am planning to do an entire trip report about this vacation and will certainly include this experience and his info in my report and any posts on the travel message boards that I post on.

THANK YOU!
Todd
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:48 AM

i think sometimes jack takes sundays off but i am not sure of this...no i am quite sure...

e mail him and see what you can set ut:

[email protected]
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Also-there will be three of us purchasing clothes. Myself and two 17 year old boys.

Todd
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Stan: Let me know what he says, or I can email myself. Whatever is best for you.