Phuket Resorts

Nov 29th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Phuket Resorts

hello, has anyone stayed at the JW Mariott recently--is it worth the price? How does it compare to other suggested "top resorts" (Meridien Yacht Club, Mom Tri) in terms of luxury and location.
Thanks!!
Nov 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Jessy, these are all very very different. JW Marriott is on the far North West Coast, north of the airport, a fine resort by accounts from Bob and others who stayed recently, it is very quiet and remote from other areas, that is either good or bad depending on you.
Meridien Yacht Club is on south west at Nai harn, area is still quiet but busier than the JW area. Mom Tri's is at Kata beach, busier than those others but not as busy as some other areas.

You have a very large choice of resorts and hotels so if you can give us a better idea of what you are looking for it helps. Do you want to spend most of your time at the resort? Do you want to eat out at restaurants and no bee too far from them? Do you like shopping? Would you prefer to be close to places with street stalls and markets or not bothered, do you want nightlife?

be as specific as you want, I always say and I know others also agree, before choosing your resort or hotel decide on what beach area, although Phuket isn't a huge island you can stay at a reasonably quiet beach area but be 15 minutes from night markets and entertainment, or you can be 40 minutes or more away!

www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com has a good choice, but if you can tell us more of what you are looking for. There are also smaller places such as Mom Tri's that are very different in character and ammenities when compared with say the JW.
Also a budget helps.
Nov 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for your post! I know I've asked this before, so hopefully no one minds my repetition. We are booking this week, so trying to make a somewhat informed decision, and guidebooks are overwhelming.
To provide more details:
We are looking for a top notch resort (nice amenities, nice beach views,etc)but don't want to be overly isolated (we are a couple in our 30's coming from NYC). In terms of beaches, yes we would like something peaceful and quiet, but not to the point that we forget where we are (in Thailand!). So I suppose we would hope for a happy medium--not interested in nightlife, crazy backpacker/tourist side, but do want access to variety of restaurants and whatever local culture should be experienced (great seafood, snorkeling, day trips,etc). I know this is still vague, but I it's tough with too many choices!
Nov 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Based on your criteria, adding it all up, I think an ideal place would be the 'Kata Thani'.

There are hundreds of places on Phuket but based on wanting some luxury but not over the top, relatively quiet but at the same time easy access to nice restaurants and local shops, far enough to be quiet but easy enough to get to say Patong for entertainment, plus nice beach, I really think the Kata Thani would suit you nicely.
Take a look at the photos, you can have spa there and also close to some great restaurants.

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...thani/details/

I think others would agree for a first time visit it's a reliable well known and very popular resort, also search back for Kata Thani as some recent rewiews from Fodorites who have stayed, I lived on Phuket for several years and I would call this a very 'safe bet' as a weel run established place with a fine reputation, good facilities and service without going over the top preicewise and good for 30 something's.
Nov 29th, 2005, 02:46 PM

I have sent to the top a previosu discussions about the Kata Thani which should be interesting for you.