Phuket New Years Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked Mom Tri's for a week over New Years this year, and we were presented with the option of a New Years's dinner at $250 per person. I realize this is standard for most hotels during this time, but (perhaps to ask a silly question) is it worth it? What do you get for this price? I am just having a hard time imagining getting $250 per person in value from any meal. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:25 PM

That is without a doubt the most ripped-off mandatory dinner I ever herad of. I'd either have them waive the requirement or I'd cancel the reservation.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM

rose
We've stayed at Mom Tri's Villa Royale twice during the New Years. Yes, we did the dinners at Mom Tri's Boathouse Grill. It was a nice dinner, exc food, great service, plenty of party favors, some fireworks right there on the beach. Is it worth $250 per person?? NO. But just about any of the nicer places on Phuket have these dinners for NY Eve. For us, (pre tsunami) it was mandatory. Sounds like you at least have the option of not going. Up to you... we did enjoy it the two times we went.
Carol
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Carol
Thanks for the info. Is the dinner an all night thing, or is it a timed sit-down dinner and that is it? Also, is there any entertainment (dancing, etc)?

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:48 PM

It was a sit down dinner. There were probably about 70-80 people at the party. There was no entertainment as far as dancing and music. There was a coctail party at 8 and then dinner was served at 8:45. We were amazed that they coordinated the serving so well! The champagne was pretty good quality. The Boathouse Grill has probably the finest wine cellar on the island. Mom Tri's Kitchen (at Villa Royale) is also superb.

I happened to run across the menu card from New Years Eve 2002. Here is what we had:
Pan fried foie gras de canard w/cognac and lychee confit
Tiger prawns & tomato confit scented with white truffle oil
Pear sherbet drizzled w/champagne gosset brut
Grilled Australian rack of lamb encrusted with mustard and oriental herbs
Assortment of French cheese with figue marmalade
Crispy mango tart with coconut sherbet
Mocha
Mignardises
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM

mcdonalds was not that far off on their menu selections for NY eve then...good to know
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:57 AM

ha ha ha
McDonalds! Bob, you crack me up.
Carol
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Most places charge these 'huge' amounts, but I have to agree USD 250 ( B 10,000 ) per person is just over the top, that would be USD 500 ( B 20,000 ) for a meal!
If it's optional I would not take the 'option', though many other places it is compulsory. All main hotels and resorts have these parties for Christmas and New Year so no reason why you can't shop around when you get there, you no doubt will find superb alternatives for less than USD 500 a couple !!