Phuket Marinas

Old Oct 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket Marinas

Believe it or not ~~ I actually research a topic in Fodor's (and elsewhere) to see if there is an answer to my questions in a previous post. So far, no luck!

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with, or knows about, marinas in Phuket and Hua Hin. I would think that the western side of Phuket would be calmer (Gulf of Thailand) than the eastern side (Andaman Sea). But this is just my assumption, and some of you, I am sure, are more knowledgeable than I about this. BTW, it doesn't necessarily have to be a marina as a part of a resort ~~ stand alone is a posssibility, too.

Thanks.

Sandra (McBeanie)
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM

There is no marina at all in Hua Hin. The only pier I can think of is at the palace.

Phuket has one international-standard yacht marina - around the middle of the east coast. There are also several piers around the south (Chalong) and east side of the island.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 07:14 PM

The only marinia in Phuket with which I am familiar is the Phuket Boat Lagoon on Thepkasattri Road in the Muang area. It is on the eastern side of the island. To reach the sea you have to take a rather longish channel. The marina seems well-run. It probably is calmer than marinas on the western side, but I also think that some of that would depend on the time of year; if you are not there during monsoon season, winds are waves are quite a bit less.

I don’t know the marinas in the Hua Hin area. You could also look at Patayya, where I believe there are marinas.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM

Sandra,

Are you planning on sailing or chartering a boat in Thailand? There are a few marinas around the country but the two best ones are in Phuket and Pattaya(just past Pattaya proper). There are also a few river side marinas with access to the sea(tidal) but these are not proper marinas like in the States.

Phuket is an island in the Andaman sea so there is no Gulf of Thailand side to it. Perhaps if you can clarify your question people can offer you a better answer.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

You are right, Hanuman. Guess I thought that the eastern side of Phuket was on the Gulf. So much for my geography! I have looked at the website for the Boat Lagoon on Phuket, but can't tell a lot from their descriptions. This is why I wanted some personal responses.

Sailing!

Sandra
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM

If you want to know about fishing I can help you but sailing is not my forte. The Boat Lagoon suppose to have a hotel or a service apartment there unless you plan on sleeping in your chartered yatch while tied up.

Sailing around Phang Nga bay should be very nice with calm sea - I hope.

Have you check Yacht Haven Marina as well? Seem better suited for sailboat.

http://www.yacht-haven-phuket.com/
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Sandra....I had a hunch you were thinking about going sailing! Sounds like a great idea. Hope it works out for you. (or is this part of your hubby's sailing around the world idea??... someday in the future)
Carol