Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Phuket/Krabi - Need to know more about travel and sights

Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Will be on flying to Krabi and then onward to Phuket in Aug. Have a couple of questions:
i) What is the most convenient way to get between Krabi and Phuket. I heard that we might need to get a flight out from Bangkok, is there alternatives?
ii) Will be in Phuket (3 days) and Krabi (3 days) - any places I should see?
iii) Shopping - isit worth getting stuff from these places or should I save my $ for Bangkok?
Any feedback and tips would be greatly welcomed.
Star
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:11 PM

Hi

I went to Krabi (Ao Nang) last year and I went to Phuket a few years back. I have posted some trip reports on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there

Have a great trip

Regards
gard
Stavanger, Norway
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:46 PM

Take a look at a map of Thailand. The Lonely Planet website has a good one. Phuket is an island just off an isthmus of western Thailand, and Krabi is part of the mainland of Thailand to the east of Phuket across a large bay. Although Krabi does have a small airport, there do not appear to be flights between Krabi and Phuket, you have to connect through Bangkok which is a huge waste of time. The best way to get between Krabi and Phuket is by boat or road. You could hire a taxi to take you, I also believe there are public buses. You could also hire a boat and driver, which would be more scenic, IMO, and given the distance by road (150 miles) the boat would probably take you about the same time as driving. If I were you, I would hire a boat for the day and go to some of the outlying islands on your way to Phuket, that would be the best way IMO to get between the two. Take a look at www.asia-discovery.com/krabi/getthere.htm for options on getting to Krabi. Your hotels in Krabi and Phuket should also be able to help, send them an e-mail. I have used a charter service in Phuket that I was very happy with, contact info is below. I am not sure they charter for a day, but it is worth asking.

Thai Marine Leisure
c/o Phuket Boat Lagoon
20/7-8, Moo 2, Tambon Koh Kaew
Amphur Muang
Phuket 83200, Thailand
Tel: 66-76-239 111, or 66-76 273 320 or 66-76-273 321
Fax: (66-76) 238 974

e-mail: [email protected], or [email protected]

There is lots of info on this site about what to see and do in both places, run a search. Spend at least one day on a boat going to the outlying islands; esp from Phuket. Krabi has slightly prettier beaches than Phuket, but neither really compare to the small deserted islands in the bay, and places like Phi Phi.

As for shopping, Patong in Phuket is pretty good, and there are little beach huts all over both places selling sarongs and beach wear. Krabi does not have as much shopping as Phuket, and neither has as much as Bangkok. If you want unusual handicraft items or Thai silk, I would save that for Bangkok, and spend your time seeing the gorgeous scenery in the Phuket Krabi area.. If you are really serious about shopping in Bangkok itself, I would recommend you buy a map called "Nancy Chandler's Guide to Bangkok". This map also gives descriptions and locations for shopping for all kinds of items in Bangkok. You can usually buy them in hotel gift shops and they are also available on the internet at Nancychandler.net. They have a special section just on the fabulous Weekend Market.

Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:55 PM

One more thing, if someone has not already told you, expect rain in Bangkok, Phuket and Krabi in August. It is the middle of the rainy season there; not quite as rainy as September or October, but you will probably have at least one day of rain if not more. Keep this in mind for your planning and be flexible when planning trips on the water, as the sea can be rough during storms.
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:57 AM

It is possible to take a taxi between Krabi and Phuket. We had a hair-raising (fast, swerving) taxi ride between the two cities. My recollection is that is cost around $30-$40 USD two years ago. It is also possible to have a charter flight from Krabi to Phuket - although none were flying at the time that we needed to travel. I'm not sure of the cost - but there is a small charter operation out of the Krabi airport.
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to one and all for the reply.
Was initially thinking about flying between the 2 places but on second thought will send the hotels an email to explore the option of travelling by boat or car.
Cicerone, will make the itinerary more flexible with the feedback on the rain - thanks!
Jul 8th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Hi, we were in Krabi in Nov, 2002. We flew in firect from Singapore. Very limited shopping, but do have a banana pancake (if you can stop at one) served from carts on the main beach front road in the evenings. Just spend your time relaxing and enoying the beautiful islands. We stayed at the Ao Nang Pakasai and booked a couple of speed boat trips,including Paradise and Hong Islands. We also did an eco trip to the thermal springs. It is also easy to grab a water taxis from Ao Nang beach to take you to all the islands. All the food we had was great. Enjoy a lovely corner of the world. Lucky you!