Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Phi Phi Island Hotel...what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and our two kids will be staying on Phi Phi Island for one night at the end of March. We will be transferring from Koh Lanta on our way to Phuket. After lot's pf research we have narrowed down our hotel search to Phi Phi Island Resort or Holiday Inn.

Between the two...which would you do? Obviously the prices are different. Not as concerned about that as I am location, service, beach, and food. We don't need gourmet meals...just safe food for kids and a prego lady.

I am looking at the Beach or Pool Villa at the Phi Phi Island and the Beachfront Bungalow at the Hoilday Inn.

Would love your opinions.

Thanks
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

just to revise a bit...my husband says he is most concerned with the quality of the beach above all else
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Both resorts have a lovely beach--but keep in mind that you're going to have to deal with low tide at some point, and that results in an exposed sea bed and it's not the prettiest thing in the world while it lasts. Thankfully, it's short-lived.

I'd say this is probably more an issue at PPIV (where we've stayed and loved)--either choice, I think you'll really enjoy.

However, that said, I question why you're going to either resort if you're only planning to spend one night. Both are located on the east side of Phi Phi (by far, the most desirable place to be in the island)...but much harder to get to. You're looking at a 3 hr trip (if you take the public ferry) + another 45 mins to 1 hour or so to longtail boat to either resort from the main village. You'll barely be unpacked before you have to leave again!

Phi Phi is bar-none (at least in my opinion) the most beautiful island in Thailand...it'd be a major shame to go that far only for a day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM

I agree with Filmwill. Try at stretch it out to at least 2 nights, 3 would be better. You will want to try and get to the viewpoint for sunset or sunrise one day, a magical experience but a fair trek from PPIV and you need to get in an early morning trip to Phi-Phi Ley to beat the hordes of daytrippers that converge on this incredibly beautiful place.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

What are the chances we could hire a speedboat to take us to the resort directly, rather than deal with ferries etc?

I will look at our itinerary and see if we could swing one more night and shorten a day in Koh Lanta.

We will have a private speedboat to Phuket...so no having to rely on public ferries for that portion.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM

I am sure that you can arrange it but it wont be cheap. We hired a speed boat from Phuket for the day once, held about 12 people in comfort and split the cost between 2 famalies, were charged 13000baht all up.
My guess is that you will be charged for a return trip from Lanta unless you could find someone to finance the return trip so your charge might be similar.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM

Even if you get a speedboat, shanek's point about Phi Phi Ley shouldn't go unheeded. You won't arrive in time to see the sights of the island AND enjoy the beach at your hotel.

If your goal is to just stay at the beach, I wouldn't leave Lanta.

If your trip to Phi Phi is strictly a way for you to break up your trip back to Phuket, you might want to consider, as much as it's a tourist trap from hell, staying in the main village of the island.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM

You have narrowed it down to the two best options on Phi Phi. My favourite is for sure Holiday Inn. Island Village doesn't have anything to compare with a beach front bungalow at H.I.

Yes, the island deserves at least two nights.

Either resort will arrange speedboat transfer for you from Lanta. Definitely the way to go. Cost will be around 12,000baht, but worth every penny.

Beautiful sunsets from the Sunset Satay bar at H.I.

Quality of beach is excellent at both resorts.