Pepper Crab at Eng Seng in Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am back in Singapore, and have several hours to kill before my flight to NYC. Since I missed the famous "Pepper Crab" at Eng Seng decided to make the journey. It was very easy to get there from the airport. I took the MRT to Eunos, you have to change at Tanah Merah direction Joo Koon. At Eunos you take bus #13 or #155 for one stop and you are a block from Eng Seng, which is locatedv at Still Road and Joo Chiat Place.

I had read all the hype about how people line up at 4.30 pm for 5 pm opening, and that they run out very early. I arrived just after 4 pm, It didn't appear as if it had just opened. several tables were occupied. The restaurant is an open air place which used to have other food stalls in it, now only one is open. It is very modest by any standards. As soon as I walked in a very aggressive woman told me "minimum 2 crabs 45 S$" I said I didn't want two, that it was too much food for me, anyway I didn't have enough Singapore money on me. Went to the hospital on the next block and got some more from the ATM.

When I returned I had another discussion with this woman, she told me it was her boss' orders, I asked to speak with him, but there was no need since at that point one medium crab was picked out for me and weighed in at 600 grs. I also ordered something else I had read about, which was deepfried squid paste. It is pureed squid fried as tempura. It would probably be better without the mayonnaise that coated it.

The Pepper Crab is quite peppery by itself but it iserved over a black sauce, that reminded me of Ketjap Manis but blacker. The Crab was good, but I prefer Chili Crab, and at least I can now say that I have eaten at Eng Seng. My total bill with a large beer came to S$36.15
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM

i have had reports that the chili crab is better too...

good for you taking the trip and bon voyage....hope singapore air is better on the return trip... they are no longer a #1 airline, imo
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I told you that in my first trip teport going to Singapore.
Was very under imporessed let's see what it will be like on this flight.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 07:27 PM

I prefer the pepper crab! Couldn't get to Eng Seng, but did have a fabulous 2.5 lb Black pepper crab at Jumbos last month.OMG, truly, it was finger lickin' good!

I have a recipe, but we cant get crabs like those in Hawaii, so i doubt I'll try cooking it. Maybe Black pepper shrimp instead.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 12:23 AM

I actually prefer the Black pepper crab to the chilli one as there is too much goo involved for my liking, but its a matter of ones personal taste i guess. I do remember the woman being very aggressive but both times i have been there i have been with locals so left them to deal with her. Glad you got to make your own opinion of it though. Good to tick things of the "list" even if they are not all you expected.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 03:00 AM

We also prefer the BP Crab. Each to his/her own. However, the woman running the place was very solicitous to us.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM

She was probably afraid you would do your muscle trick and scare away all the day's patrons.....