Search

Peninsula

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peninsula

Hello - the Peninsula have offered us 8,200++ B for a deluxe room in February for 5 nights, waiving charges for putting in extra bed/cots for kids. It includes breakfast. Is this a good price? I can't find anything to match it on other websites.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Bella i think thats a fantastic price you can always book and if you find a better deal cancel (you have until the day before i think)
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes - I have just had confirmation from them that I can cancel up to one day beforehand. Trying to decide between this and the Marriott but will reserve this to hold it. It works out about £200 more for the entire stay to stay at the Pen, not much really. Will have to check how much I have spent on the other hotels - the £ is down so badly against the baht!
BB
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM

The Penn has a number of promotional rates going on right now - you can see them by perusing their website. If you are flexible in what room you will take (Deluxe versus Grand Deluxe, for example), the savings can be substantial.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM

The Peninsula has been quoting rates up to 15,000 Baht per night, so that sounds like a good deal (relative to their recent high prices).
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Bella for £200 extra you really are getting luxe (although the marriott is lovely) and yes exchange rate is rubbish. We are off skiing in 4 weeks and the euro is horrendous, the price of our skiing trip has gone up dramatically since we booked it in July!!
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

We stayed at the Marriott at the beginning of our five week trip last time and the Peninsula at the end. They are both good places to stay, but the Pen is definitely much more luxurious I agree. Last time we had a grand deluxe suite on the 29th floor so were a bit spoilt! But am sure the deluxe room will be lovely too - if smaller.

Will check out their website - maybe see what Grand Deluxe would cost
BB
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM

I would not spend the extra on a Grand Deluxe room or suite at the Peninsula...the only difference between the Grand Deluxe classification and Deluxe classification is the floor...Deluxe is up to floor 9, Grand Deluxe higher than 9. Extra bed/cot is free of charge for kids under 12 at the Peninsula, too, so unless that has changed recently, waiving the charge for them is pretty meaningless. In our experience, the Grand Deluxe room is a pretty big step down from the suites, but is still nice.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM

The Marriott on the river has offered us a One bedroom suite with two separate rooms, club privileges including breakfast, cocktails, and 2 extra beds for 2 eleven year olds set in the living room for 8000++ per night. Beds are FOC, and the suite is bigger than the Peninsula's (100 m2 vs 72 m2). I do love the Peninsula, though, so we are bouncing back and forth trying to decide, like you.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Oh dear -- this is a great rate !! I am now in the hopelessly torn group too. Could not get the best rate Jan 26 - 28th (probably due to Chinese NYear) but could for the beginning of our stay.
The rate for 26 - 28 jumped 3000 baht.
The suites look lovely but with ours Laos hotel so dear, I'm thinking I'll wait and see about an upgrade once we're there.
Thanks for posting this Bella !!
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

I've booked the Pen - reread the email properly. Sorry - they didn't mention waiving charges for putting in extra bed/cot to be fair to them, so thought I should correct this. What they are doing 'exceptionally' for us is allowing us two kids in the room. I did read on another thread that sometimes they allow this and sometimes not - it seemed to be based on the age of the child, ours are both little.

KimJapan - that is a great deal at the Marriott. Did you email them to ask for that? I can't find an email address for the hotel. I just reread my deal confirmation (reserved a while ago) and via the website for a deluxe room (not riverview) we were offered 6350B++ plus 1300B++ per night for our 4 yr old. Had not realised the extra for Bella was not included in the total price quoted so the rate is really quite close to the rate for the Pen - 7650++ per night. If we could get even near your rate, that might swing it back to the Marriott again for me at least - John likes the Pen a lot.

Jenskar - the cancellation policy for the Pen is 24 hours so we have booked and will make up our mind for certain later.

BB
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Bella, I reserved the Marriott by e-mail here. [email protected] I also got our rate wrong...It is 7000 baht ++ not 8000, for a 100 m2 one bedroom suite with two extra beds FOC and club priv for everyone. That is booked, and I am still wobbling, and we have decided to see how the budget looks closer to our trip and see if the Peninsula is possible. We are taking one of Teaghan's friends along this time and completely paying for her, too, which adds a good bit in second rooms and 4th airfare.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 06:06 AM

i would book both hotels and stay one nite in each and alternate...best of both worlds....or get up at 3AM and change hotels..
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

how lovely for Teaghan! and what a treat for her friend

I am going to try the email you posted and see what we get
thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

just an update - thanks for that email Kim. The Marriott have knocked our room price down to 5600B++ inc beds and ABF for the kids. Still can't decide which one to go for - exchange rate is so terrible!! Currently holding reservations at both
BB
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM

What is the exchange rate these days? I thought it was up at around 33 baht to a US dollar. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM

... happy holidays, Bella! ... (your long lost 'companion', 'macintosh' from tripadvisor) ...

... don't know what you and hubby do for a living, but, well, yours truly was obliged to stay at the Bangkok Peninsula (and Oriental, Shangri-La, Four Seasons, and Sheraton Grande) a 'few' times this past '08 calender year for business (and occasional pleasure), and must say, all the above have been offering rather fine 'frequent guest' promotions ... (rates, well, not exactly proffered by 'websites', nor even the world's greatest 'virtuous' agents ...

... (and can't resist: at the Peninsula, I'm an 'Esteemed Guest' ... (thank you, over the past __ nights, over the past 10 years, fine staff and GM, Mr._ ... (and yes, your 'discretion' ... pre-mrs. m era, to be sure) ...

... (nothing against you, Mr. 'K' and your fine staff at the Oriental) ... ('btw', my 'still single' male business colleagues greatfully appreciate your more humane 'guest policy' ... (hi, 'mark4'!) ...

... as always, joyous travels to you, Bella ... (those Girls are waiting for you) ...

macintosh (robert)

... In this ever changing world, Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly ...

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM

guenmai, the best rate I've gotten was 34.87 at Vasu, for US$. The rate seems to currently fluctuate between 33.9 to 34.5, depending on where you exchange.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Author: tnnc2
Date: 01/12/2009, 10:18 pm
Bella- I wanted to reply regarding the Marriott One Bedroom Suite. I will try to post on your other thread as well.

We stayed in the 1BR suite at the Marriott last July. I had booked a Jr. Suite for our family of 4- kids ages 11 and 8. I booked through a travel agent, Bunnie, for about $225/night including tax. When we arrived at the Marriott we were offered an upgrade to the suite for 3000B/night but with a 1000B credit for food each day. Since we had stayed in the suite before, we accepted the offer.

We have never stayed at the Pen, but really love the Marriott because of the low floors and the suite has a wrap around porch/balcony that the kids like to go out on. Also the suite has 1 and 1/2 bathrooms which is nice, and the kids' 2 rollaway beds fit into the bedroom easily.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------