Overnight in Changi airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transit hotel within Singapore's Changi airport has been very convenient for resting overnight between international flights. But on this trip, my airlines (ANA from Tokyo Terminal 3, transferring to Air Asia to Penang, Terminal 1) will not transfer my checked luggage. As such, I believe my only option is to retrieve my checked bag when arriving in Singapore, go through customs/immigration and exit the terminal (right?). The problem is that I don't think I can get back into the departure area where the transit hotels are located until I can check in with Air Asia (no more than 3 hours prior to the flight the next day). Can you figure a way around this? Are there any sleeping options besides the Crowne Plaza at the airport? I only have 10 hours between flights, so it is really too short of a time to justify getting a hotel room outside the airport.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 12:46 AM

There is a pay-per-use lounge in T3. See http://www.thehaven.com.sg/index.php. The website says it has nap rooms. I've walked by it but never used it.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 03:08 AM

I looked into this also for our trip in May 2014. We did one overnight in the hotel inside the terminal (6 or 7 hours), it was quite comfortable but our bags did not arrive at the next stop and I suspect it had to do with the overnight. On the return, we stayed at the crown plaza....I think it was a longer layover than we wanted to spend inside the terminal...I couldn't find any other options. Expensive but it was a nice hotel.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 07:04 AM

Can you check in for your Air Asia flight online and print a boarding pass? That would get you back into the terminal.

I have stayed at the transit hotel at Changi several times, including one time when we had to re-enter, as per your situation. I can't remember exactly how we did it, but it was do-able.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions! I emailed the airport directly to see if they had any advice and this was their response:

"Kindly be informed that any unclaimed baggage on the conveyor belt will be sent to the lost and found counter,therefore it is not recommended that you stay at the transit hotel.Alternatively you may check out our pay-per-use lounge which is located at the Public area of Terminal 3 arrival hall.Refer to link below for more information:http://www.changiairport.com/en/shop...y-jetquay.html "

I searched and found some other travelers go ahead and stay at the transit hotel and let their bags go to lost and found. When they are ready, they claim their bags at lost and found, and exit the terminal to check in for their next flight. There are obvious risks to this plan! And clearly the airport does not endorse it, but it does seem to be a strategy commonly used.