Search

Origami and Tokyo Travel Tips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2023, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Origami and Tokyo Travel Tips

https://origamikaikan.co.jp/lp/english_guide.html

Origami Kaikan was a highlight for me in Tokyo. It is a museum, shop and depending on when you go, you can take an origami class! I was there on the weekend, and the director, an older gentlemen, was doing an origami demonstration and giving out models he made. He has been teaching origami over 30 years and have given demonstrations all over the world. It was really wonderful. The models on display were just amazing! I spent over 1.5 hours there. Well worth the trip!

A few other tips:

1. Google was a lifesaver!
  • Google maps was invaluable for taking the subway. Put in your route and it will tell you the fare to pay at the ticket kiosk
    • If you are planning on taking the subway, get a Suica card at either airport as you can't get one in the city at this time
    • or in Apple Wallet, you can add a Suica transit card. I was not able to set this up and a local told me that Suica doesn't take Visa - so something to play with before you go
  • Google translate: not only can you translate text, you can take pictures of signs and it will translate the sign for you!
2. Shibuya crossing - go up to the Starbucks for a good view of the crazy crossing.
3. The guides at Free Tokyo Walking Tour were great!
4. Bring/buy a small towel to wipe your hands as there are not paper towels in the bathrooms. Sometimes there are hand dryers. You will not find cleaner, safer bathrooms on the planet!
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 09:20 PM

I bought an origami book once, but I can only make a few simple shapes. I would love to learn how to fold more complex ones. Thank you for sharing your travel tips for Tokyo. I agree that it is an amazing city with so much to see and do. I have visited Tokyo a few times, and each time I discover something new and exciting. 😊
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 11:06 PM
mjs

Bring an AMX card to put money on your Suica Apple wallet as you need. Does not work with Visa and I have heard it does not work with MC. You can pay for trains, buses and subways as you go and many restaurants and perhaps more importantly 7-11, Lawsons etc. You also get AMX currency rate exchanges and if you have an AMX card without fees it is perhaps one of the best ways to use foreign currencies in Japan.
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

My mastercoard didn't work with the app - so good thing to note about AMEX. And I could only get a suica card at the airport - so i just paid as I went. It worked out just as well.
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

There are origami conventions at least throughout the United States. I felt like a total nerd going - but I am glad that I went! I learned a few things where I was going wrong and came back with all sorts of models. There are so many patterns on the internet these days. It is a lot of fun.
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mjs
Bring an AMX card to put money on your Suica Apple wallet as you need. Does not work with Visa and I have heard it does not work with MC. You can pay for trains, buses and subways as you go and many restaurants and perhaps more importantly 7-11, Lawsons etc. You also get AMX currency rate exchanges and if you have an AMX card without fees it is perhaps one of the best ways to use foreign currencies in Japan.
I have a Citi Mastercard and I was able to set up the Suica in my iPhone wallet as well as my husband's before leaving on our trip. But after initially setting it up with the credit card, I was never able to add additional value. The credit card just stopped working - believe me, I spent many hours contacting Citibank, trying to understand what happened, and no one had a clue. No matter, it was easy to add value in Japan at Family Mart and 7/11and made using the trains in Tokyo a breeze. It was also useful for some shopping and some transportation in other cities as well.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

My travel partner set theirs up before they left - I wish I knew ahead of time. But it worked out in the end.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 08:08 PM

Transportation in Tokyo

I enjoyed reading your trip report. I'm planning a trip with my family to Japan in later March. There will be 5 of us. 3 adults, one with low vision, and 1 1/2 year old with a stroller. I'm directly challenged, and get a little anxiety when thinking of traveling in foreign countries. I've traveled before and have survived just fine. Is this card you mention good for both the trains and the Subway, or are they 2 in the same? We are also planning on taking a trip to Disneyland. I've done a decent amount of reading of Tokyo and the rail system. it looks pretty complete and you can get almost anywhere.We also would like to take a train to the park where you can view Mount Fuji. I believe this is a separate ticket. Any additional tips are greatly appreciated. I also thoroughly enjoyed the link you gave to the origami museumas that is an interest of mine as well.

QUOTE=Kkimkim;17504736]https://origamikaikan.co.jp/lp/english_guide.html

Origami Kaikan was a highlight for me in Tokyo. It is a museum, shop and depending on when you go, you can take an origami class! I was there on the weekend, and the director, an older gentlemen, was doing an origami demonstration and giving out models he made. He has been teaching origami over 30 years and have given demonstrations all over the world. It was really wonderful. The models on display were just amazing! I spent over 1.5 hours there. Well worth the trip!

A few other tips:

1. Google was a lifesaver!
  • Google maps was invaluable for taking the subway. Put in your route and it will tell you the fare to pay at the ticket kiosk
    • If you are planning on taking the subway, get a Suica card at either airport as you can't get one in the city at this time
    • or in Apple Wallet, you can add a Suica transit card. I was not able to set this up and a local told me that Suica doesn't take Visa - so something to play with before you go
  • Google translate: not only can you translate text, you can take pictures of signs and it will translate the sign for you!
2. Shibuya crossing - go up to the Starbucks for a good view of the crazy crossing.
3. The guides at Free Tokyo Walking Tour were great!
4. Bring/buy a small towel to wipe your hands as there are not paper towels in the bathrooms. Sometimes there are hand dryers. You will not find cleaner, safer bathrooms on the planet![/QUOTE]
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Practice makes perfect! There are so many you tube videos to learn from and there are origami conferences nationally and locally you can attend. They are pretty fun!
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 09:30 AM

can you put cash in the machine on Suica card? I remember I had one that I could, but it was different than Suica, I got it on the airport as well.

oh, and Mount Fuji can be seen from Mt. Takao, easy to get to from Tokyo.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

The issue was getting a card - when I was there, they were only selling them at the airport.