Reload this Page >

Orchard Rd vs. Marina Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:01 PM
helenwolkow

Will be in singapore for four days in July2001. Undecided which area is best for sightseeing and getting around. Anyone ever heard of or stayed at Meritus Negara Hotel? It was recommended. Thanks, Helen

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 07:31 AM
kit

Hi Helen, singapore is so small and transport is fairly convenient so it doesn't matter which area you are in. i would say go for orchard area. negara hotel is at the edge of orchard road but it is not too far from the underground/MRT station. orchard has more shops and is more central than marina. hope that helps.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 02:07 AM
Alex

Hi Helen. For my first trip to Singapore , Orchard Rd was a good choice,not that the marina is bad.Since the MRT is so convenient, and you know where you're going, mingle with the crowds...go ahead!Just remember this is on the Equator...take it slowww.ENJOY.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 12:52 PM
kit

Dear Kit, Thanks for the reply. Will try the orchard Road area. Think I can get the best deal at the negara. Any other suggestins? Helen

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 12:54 PM
alex

Alex, Thanks for the info.Any suggestions on hotels in the Orchard area? Helen

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:21 AM
Liz

<BR>I am staying at the meritus negara this weekend, will let you know how it goes. It has also been recommended to us.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:52 AM
kit

Hello again, depending on your budget, there are other hotels in orchard - orchard hotel is close to negara hotel, York hotel is a nice cosy hotel within 5mins walk to orchard road; regent hotel is about 5mins as well; crown prince in the heart of orchard road. so is holiday inn. Shangri-la is great but 10-15mins walk away, and so is Sheraton. <BR>cheers <BR>Kit

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:20 AM
scott

Dear Helen, <BR>First of all I might come off a little negative so sorry, but honestly I think 4 days is too long! I truly recommend the Four Seasons Hotel. It's just one block off Orchard st. Believe it or not very reasonable for a Four Seasons. I found Singapore far to Westernized for what I like.I have to admit it's very clean and good shopping if you like Gucci and Prada some of the best prices for luxury goods. Bedides the shopping and the restaraunts in little India not much else!Go have your Singapore Sling at Raffeles @$18.00 although you will get some cashews,we did it. The island that you take the tram to is a waste of time. I cant even remember the name it was so bad. I guess in short, we also originally were to stay for four days and left in two. I don't know where you'll be coming (country) from but there are so many other beautiful destinations near by. I have traveled all over Asia and my favorite place is Bali Indonesia, stayed at the Ritz Carlton Jimbaran Bay the most beautiful location (my opinion). The people of Bali are so special I even thought of moving. I live in Scottsdale Arizona and think I live in a great local, but Bali is wonderful minus some of the dirty areas. Ritz about a $100 a night <BR>Enjoy your trip.