Opera in Hong Kong

Search

Opera in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opera in Hong Kong

Interested in catching an opera while we're in Hong Kong in late November.

Any suggestions?

Don't have the slightest on where to start...seems like there's a few venues, so looking for some pointers/advice from those in the know.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for good night excursions of the like (not into bars--just looking for some things to punctuate the few evenings out we have.)

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM

take the boat from the hong kong island to the fishing village island where all the restaurants are....nice ride and good meals once you get there..i think its lamma island, but someone will tell you for sure...outside dining on the pier...look the rest. over carefully..

hope you both are well

bob
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Cantonese opera or western opera?

There is no professional opera troupe in Hong Kong. They do get visiting groups once in a while.

You can try using this interactive calendar from the Tourism Board, but it may not be comprehensive:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...ndar/index.jsp
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Definitely Cantonese opera.

Rick, I'll take a look at the calendar.

Bob, we're great! Thanks so much for asking...and thanks for the recommendations!

If anyone else has any info on Cantonese opera, I'm all ears...
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:40 PM

One of the main venue for Chinese opera in Hong Kong is Ko Shan Theater in Hung Hom. There website has event listing, though not user-friendly:

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/CulturalSe...T/en/index.php

Another venue is the Sun Kwong Theater in North Point. Don't think they have a website.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM

The one venue that used to offer these regularly closed last year (Sunbeam Theatre in North Point, it now just shows films). So it will have to be a hit or miss thing as to whether there are any professional operas on offer when you are hare. Try the governments Leisure and Culture Services department list of all activities, both free and paid, go to http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/cs_prog_week.php

Also try Urbitx, which is the website for paid performances, at http://urbtix.cityline.com.hk/internet/action/index.do

If you want to listen to Chinese music, not necessarily opera, try the Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra at hkco.org.

The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts runs terrific programs all year, they offer Chinese opera from time to time, take a look at http://www.hkapa.edu. Their programs should also show up on the lcsd site.

Also try the Hong Kong Arts Centre at hkac.org.hk. Their programs should also show up on the lcsd site.

IMO a great place to see Chinese opera is a local temple festival, where opera is often offered as part of a celebration. You can ask as your hotel if any local temple is celebrating a major holiday. Villages have their days for celebrating the gods of their temple at different times of year, and you may luck out in November.

For a list of my other suggestions on what to do at night take a look at my post called “Cicerone’s Reccos for What the Locals Do for Fun in Hong Kong (Hint: We DON’T Go to those Awful Night Markets....)
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Oh, Sunbeam Theater ("Sun Kwong" in Chinese) have finally stopped showing Cantonese theater. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Is Cantonese opera similar to Peking opera?

(I enjoy Western opera a lot. Some years ago, I went to a performance of Peking opera in Paris. I knew nothing about Peking opera, but figured it would be interesting to compare the story/music/acting to Western opera.

Oh My Goodness.

A singer -- I think it was a female but cannot be certain -- in white-face came on stage and made sounds that seemed to imitate a severely constipated pussycat. "Liiiiiiiiiiii" "Chiiiiiiiiiiiiii" "Liiiiii". And he/she kept on for a while. Then someone else came on stage and did more or less the same thing. They went on and on and on and on. I was trapped in the middle of a row, no way to escape. How long could the first act go on, I wondered? Surely it would be over soon. Each minute was like an hour. Days later, or so it seemed, the first intermission arrived. I cannot report on the remaining portions of the opera, as I elected not to stay and enjoy it.)

Now I am not saying that the Peking opera was bad, in the same way that I would not contend that John Cage is bad. And I make no claim to culture: I hated Dialogues of the Carmelites. Just not to my taste, thanks.)
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:24 AM

No, Cantonese operas are unlike Peking operas. They don't wear those funny costumes. Female singers play female roles, and prominently. Also, there are actual melodies.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I did forget one place where you can supposedly see Chinese Opera: the dreaded night market in Kowloon, on Temple Street. There are allegedly performances here nightly; however I have not seen them in probably a dozen trips there over the years. I have found the fortune tellers and the antique guys and of course the copy watches and bags and the tourist tat for sale, but have never had any luck finding opera performances. The guidebooks all say it goes on, but perhaps this is just hype to get people to go tot he markets. Perhaps others who have been to the Temple street night market have been lucky enough to catch a performance; it would, IMO, be the only real reason for going....
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Rizzuto, I almost peed in my pants reading your description of Peking opera.

I totally understand what you mean...the sound is somewhat like a cat with its tail caught in the door.

Thanks for all the suggestions--sounds like we need to ask the concierge when we arrive (or email them beforehand.)
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM

I haven't been to the Temple Street night market for years either. From what I understand, you won't see real Cantonese opera performance there. Instead, you may find one singer or a very small ensemble there singing some popular Cantonese opera tunes and you pay as you wish that kind of thing.

And just for the record, I don't understand the appeal of Cantonese opera, and definitely not Peking opera. I don't like either.

For those who may want a glimpse of Peking opera, try rent the Hong Kong/China movie "Farewell My Concubine", with the late Leslie Cheung in the lead. Very intense movie, so be warned.