One week trip: HKG-BKK-SIN (8 days)

Jun 28th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

One week trip: HKG-BKK-SIN (8 days)

Hi all

I am planning a trip for Asia.
I already figured out which cities I want to see. But now, I'm struggling whith my planning, which will be tight.

Day 1: Arrival: HKG 14:00
Day 2: HKG for sure
Day 3: HKG OR BKK
Day 4: BKK for sure
Day 5: BKK for sure
Day 6: BKK OR SIN
Day 7: SIN for sure
Day 8: SIN for sure, Departure: 23:00 (meaning 21:00 stops our day)

I dont know how much time I should forsee. Though we do not want to visit any museum (particulary), we do want to see the highlites and get a feeling of each city. I am already forseening my regional air traffic flights to be during the night, not to miss a lot of time in the city we are visitting.

So could you help me how many days I should forsee in each city?

Thanks

Pieter
Jun 28th, 2014, 05:54 AM

for best use of your time in S I would take the hop on hop off bus including the boat ride. this will allow you to see the highlights.

day 3 I would stay in HK

day 6 I would stay in BKK... I would hire a guide/driver in bkk to allow you to move more efficiently between sites. Tong and her team are suggested: tourswithtong.com or google her. others will say take the skytrain and boats on your own, but you will waste time that way, imo.

if you have not bought your air tickets already, I would consider only visiting HK & BKK
Jun 28th, 2014, 08:35 AM

How much money do you have? Both Hong Kong and Singapore are very expensive cities. Depending on your budget, you many want to minimize your time in those two cities. Also, if you can cut one of those cities, it will cost you less and will give you more time in the other two places. With our limited time, you will not see all of the highlights in any of these places.

I'm an advocate of using public transport in Bangkok rather than a guide. In any case, plan to stay along the river in Bangkok and take the water taxis to the major wats and the Grand Palace. You don't need guides in Hong Kong or in Singapore either. Public transport in all three cities is the way to go.
Jun 28th, 2014, 09:12 AM

Have you been to Asia before? Because that is a VERY big-city-centric trip. There is so much more to see in Asia.

Like Kathie, I see no need for guides in any of those cities, just good guidebooks. I also agree with staying on the river in BKK - if your budget is not up to the high-end hotels the Ibis is fine. Not sure what you consider a "highlite", and would you call the Royal Palace in BKK a museum? Any good guidebook has a "top ten" or equivalent list right up front.
Jun 28th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Based on 3 persons, I am aiming to pay 1000€ for all the hotels, incl breakfast. I know time is tight but do you really ought it to be impossible? As said, we want to visit the city highlites. Not to spend half a day shopping or in Disneyland. To illustrate: we were able to visit Istanbuls highlites in 2days (although not having visitted every mosque inside etc.)

I know this is a city centric trip, but it was aimed this way, although it will be the first time in Asia, we are not the historic monument type of persons.
Jun 28th, 2014, 01:35 PM

It's not impossible to visit those three cities in a mere week, but it would be no fun, IMO. No chance to really experience the places. And 1000 E for three persons for a week will be difficult with Hong Kong and Singapore in the mix. Many rooms will not accommodate three people unless the third is a small child.

I spent a week in Istanbul and feel I only saw a few of the highlights. So clearly, I want more depth in my visits than you do.
Jun 28th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Well, I might not be the best in dept citytripper but then again, everyone has his own way of visitting a city.
Mine might be rather superficial, as was my vision on istanbul. This might be ever since as a Belgian its only a 4 hour flight, however I did spend 3 days in Washington DC in 2013 which I thought to be enough though not too much. A lot of cities deliver me different feelings, and its those I am mostly looking for.
Jun 29th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

You think it would be worth much more to take an extra day?
That would not suit us that much but if your really think it is worth it I might truely consider it.
If yes, whould you do:
2,5 days HKG
3 days BKK
3 days SIN
or something else?
Jun 29th, 2014, 04:46 AM

Are you accounting for the travel time between cities? It takes a bit longer in Asia.. You can loose the better part of a day in your transfers.
Jun 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM

Personally, I would choose two cities - at most - for your week. You will still get only a cursory glance at these fascinating places, but that may be enough for you.
Jun 29th, 2014, 06:41 AM

2 cities is plenty. I would drop Singapore.

You lose half a day flying plus cost and hassle.

Kanchanaburi is a good sidetrip from Bkk if u want to see a bit more.

(Thursday was rude yet again. He has a real chip on his shoulder over attractions)
Jun 29th, 2014, 06:52 AM

Exactly what "highlights" are u looking for?

These cities are famous for food and shopping.
Jun 29th, 2014, 07:17 AM

your budget allows 125 E approx. per day. that is easy in BKK, less easy in the other cities, where hotel prices are outrageous.. look at the Salisbury YMCA in HK--- run like a motel and very centrally located.

look at serviced apartments: the ascott group, the Marriott group among others---easily allows 3 people per room.

CUT SINGAPORE
Jun 29th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

I wont loose much time flying ever since I have flight times like 21:30 so I would shedule 19:00 as departure at the hotel.

As of my defenition of highlites, I spend some time looking up thing I am interested in, in Hong Kong. I dont know if I missed really huge and big things. So I am open for advice:
Sunday
14:30 arrival HKG IA (drop baggage there for some hours)
15:30 Tung Chung
16:00 Arrival Ngong Ping, go visit Buddha
18:00 Departure Ngong Ping
18:45 Back to airport (get luggage)
19:30 Airport: to hotel

Yet to plan in 2 remaining days:
Arrival HKG Convention and Exhebition center and explore environment
Take ferry to Star Ferry Pier
Tsim Sha Tsui Clock Tower
Avenue of the Stars
Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade
Mong Kok
Tin Hau Temple
Peak tram
Peak
Aberdeen boat trip

What kind of hotel would you recommend? I see prices in Aberdeen are way lower but is more difficult to reach. However, I seem to like the environment.
Jun 29th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

To put the financial aspect to it, I wouldn't spend that much less in a 4/4 HKG/BKK planning than adding SIN due to carriers flying to the major airports in Asia and to my local airport. Based on hotel and flights (excl standard living costs which I know will be a lot less in Thailand). For 3 persons, my calculated price difference in about 250€ including the local flight.
Jun 29th, 2014, 07:56 AM

It is your trip. You asked our advice, and many of us have said three cities in a week is too much. But if that is the way you prefer to travel, you should do it.
Jun 29th, 2014, 08:43 AM

You find clock towers interesting?
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Well, I find it iconic the way its placed there. So in a way, yes