Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong, Bangkok or Singapore? Where do I start???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do I start?

I am considering 3 or 4 days in any of these cities, which would be the most fun? I looking to spend around $100 a night for a hotel and I like good shopping, wandering and walking, great food (important!) and reasonable prices. I like a nice hotel but don't need luxury. Clean and comfortable is fine.

I am thinking about late March to mid April. Is the weather good then?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Personally, I'd vote for Bangkok. It's a lively city with lots to see and do, and it's the least expensive of those three cities. If you do a search on this site, you'll find that this is a very frequently asked question, and the largest number of votes consistenly goes to Bangkok.

That said, three or four days isn't much to sample any of these cities. Where are you flying from that you could make a three or four day stay work for you?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

I am thinking of stopping over and going to Sydney too. Coming from glamourous Newark.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 12:47 PM

So the 3 or 4 days is a stopover on your way to Sydney? If you are coming all the way from Newark, I'd recommend that you take more time. In three days, you won't even be over the jetlag.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:58 AM

All of those cities are quite out of the way for someone going on to Australia. Take a look at a map, and you will see how far west and north those places are from Australia. It is a LONG flight from any of them to Sydney, and add that on top of a long flight out from Newark and jet lag and you will be more tired than you think. IMO, you are better off going directly to Sydney from Newark and spending more time in that fabulous city or elsewhere in Australia than trying to fit in one place in SE Asia. If you really want a stopover, then Fiji or Tahiti are more logical places.

That being said, I think you will find better hotel bargains in your price range in Bangkok and Singapore than in Hong Kong, which is more expensive generally and where land is a more of a premium. March and April are rainy season in Bangkok, it will be quite hot and humid. It will be hot and humid in Singapore and Hong Kong, but not on the level of Bangkok. Bangkok is not really a walking city as points of interest are quite spread out and there is no real downtown or colonial areas; I guess of the other two Hong Kong is more of a walking city (but lots of hills), but you won’t find the charming streets/neighborhoods like you do in European cities, so you would need to adjust your expectations. There is some excellent walking/hiking in the park areas of Hong Kong and outlying districts, not sure if that is what you meant. You will find very good food in all price ranges in all three. I think all of them are fun and interesting and you really could not go wrong with 3-4 days in any of them, but as I said, I would do this as part of a trip to SE Asia and not as part of a trip to Australia.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:32 AM

march and april are the hot season.. tempurters will be HOt with a chance of more heat.. now back too you...
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:42 AM

as far as fun nightlife

bangkok is a world famouse party town. at any price level..

Hong kong suposidly offers some of the best nightlife in the world IF YOUR RICH..

singapore.. uhh.. it'a alright..

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:00 AM

I would only select two of the places on your list and do Singapore(3-4 full days...starting there) and then spend the rest of the days in Bangkok...when you are rested up and over the jet;ag a bit. Singapore is a great city and very easy and relaxing that's why it's good to start there. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Richard...I know a great NYC travel agent that also has a Bangkok office and can get you great hotel rates. They have an office in Sydney too as a matter of fact! Let me know if you want his details. [email protected]
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM

3-4 nights and $100 for hotel? Definately Bangkok. You'll get good bang for your hotel dollar and great shopping.

Highly recommend the ExecuPlus package at the Pathumwan Princess. It's running about $100 a night and is a suite with living room, etc. We did this 3 years ago and it's our favorite place to stay after 3 trips to Bangkok.

Location is excellent as the hotel is connected to the MBK shopping center and you have easy access to the Skytrain which will whisk you out to the big weekend market at Chatuchuk.

Have fun!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Is there any problem with drinking water or food issues in Bangkok? That kind of stuff freaks me out.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Bottled water is readily available in Bangkok. Don't drink tap water or brush your teeth with it. As for food, use common sense - avoid street food and buffets, if possible and choose restaurants where the food turns over quickly.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:59 AM

As for food and water, in most of Asia you'll need to exercise water precautions. Read exactly what that means at the cdc website: www.cdc.gov/travel