One night in Shanghai

Jun 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

One night in Shanghai

Hello,

Because we are flying on FF points we had not choice but to overnight in Shanghai enroute to Hong Kong. We will arrive at 3:30 pm and depart the next day at 8:00 am. I am thinking a hotel near the airport might be best because of the morning flight but am open to suggestions... also looking for suggestions on what to do with one night in Shanghai(providing we are not too beat after flying 12 hours) If we do go into town for a peek, where could we go, what to do? Ideally someplace like a pedestrian market where we could get a bite etc.? We will have a Chinese Visa as we will be visiting Beijing later in the month.
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

any suggestions on what to do with one night in Shanghai? Where could we go, what could we do with that one evening?

What is the easiest way into the city?

Where is the best place to stay for our situation...airport? City?

please help!!
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM

Maybe take a taxi into Shanghai for a walk around the Bund and dinner then taxi back to your airport hotel. Since your flight leaves early staying at the airport is the safest bet.
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM

Don't know about airport hotels, but you should be looking at hotels in Pudong (East of the Wangpu River) and not in the Puxi (West) part of Shanghai, because of the early departure.
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:21 AM

Better to get the extra hour of sleep and stay at the airport- doesn't matter how nice the hotel is as long as its clean and at the airport. If you stay in town that means getting up an hour earlier and hoping there is no traffic problem along the way. Too risky in my opinion- I would sleep in at the airport hotel.
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:25 AM

Another thing is the visa issue. Transitting in Shanghai for <24 hours is supposed to be exempt from visa. [Check the website www.china-embassy.org/eng/ for detail.] Make sure when you enter Shanghai they don't cancel out your visa which you'll need when going into China from Hong Kong later on.

But if you have a dual-entries visa or other multiple-entries ones, then it doesn't matter.
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM

It's actually 48 hours, transitting through Shanghai. You may want to print this page and bring it with you:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84248.htm
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies!

I will look into the Visa issue.

I think we will stay near the airport and taxi into town to the Bund? Will the Cab driver know what that is or is there a landmark (maybe a hotel?) that would be better suited for directing a cab driver. The views of the Bund area are awesome I understand but is this a lively type area where we can get a good reasonably priced dinner or is it good for views and a short walk after dinner? Is the Bund close by the shopping/resturants? I am also wondering about Nanjing Road.

Thanks again!
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM

If you check out the destination area for Shanghai on this forum that will help you answer those questions.
Jun 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM

Finding an English-speaking cabbie is about on par with winning the lottery, so you'll need your destination written in Chinese characters or otherwise mad every clear. Offhand the best idea I can come up with is to pick up a tourist map at an airport shop - preferably with street names in both Chinese and English, but you can simply point to a suitable destination, say the Bund-Nanjing Road corner. On the way back, I think the best bet will be to ask a hotel doorman to call a cab and direct the driver. A convenient place is the Peace Hotel, a well-known art deco style building a few doors up Nanjing Road from the Bund (have a drink at the hotel's jazz bar first).

An alternative to taking a cab all the way is to take the maglev train (the station is inside Pudong airport terminal), which reaches about 430 km/hr. It will get you only as far as Long Yang metro station, still in the Pudong district, and from there you'll still need a cab to the city centre (I don't recommend changing onto the metro). You won't save any money, but it's a good ride.

The cab fare from the airport to the city should be about 150 yuan (say US$17). Tipping is not customary in China. Make sure to withdraw some Chinese currency from an airport ATM. Hotels, upmarket restaurants etc. will take payment by credit card, but elsewhere it's not as common as you may be used to.
Jun 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM

It will be a long taxi ride from an airport hotel to the Bund or anywhere in Puxi for that matter, allow about an hour. If the maglev train from PVG airport is still running in the late afternoon when you arrive (its hours are pretty limited), you could take that to Longyang station and transfer to the metro line into Puxi. Nanjing road goes right up to the Bund area and the pedestrian section starts pretty close to the Bund. Get off of the metro at Henan station and you'll be right in the middle of the pedestrian section. It'll be quicker and cheaper than a taxi (though taxis aren't that expensive anyway) and you'll be able to experience a train that travels at 430km/hour if only for a very brief moment If taking a taxi, you'll need your destination written in Chinese to show to the cab driver. Ask your hotel to write it down for you and don't forget the same for your ride back. I believe there's a Ramada at PVG.

Or you could stay at a hotel on the Pudong side, allow 45 minutes to return to the airport the next morning. Traffic in Pudong isn't too bad compared to Puxi. The best views of the Bund are from the Pudong side (opposite bank of the Huangpu river) where you can see the old colonial buildings lit up at night (from the Puxi side, you get a view of the Pudong skyscrapers). If you stay at the Hyatt or Sofitel in Pudong (both located just across the river from Puxi), you may get that view right from your room. Or go up to one of the bars at the top of the Hyatt. From here you can take a taxi or the metro (1 stop) to the Bund/Nanjing Rd.

Tough call. I personally don't like to stay near airports so am willing to get up extra early instead. Plus I'm usually jet lagged and wide awake at 4:00am anyway

Is changing your flight time to HKG a possibility or do you have to take the first available flight the following morning?
Jul 11th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

I am topping this post as I have a few more questions now that I we know specifics. We have decided to overnight at the airport in order to make it easier to catch our flight the next morning into BKK. HOWEVER, we do want to go into the city for diner and a quick look at the Bund/Nanjing Rd. area.

1.) Will shops, resturants etc. be open on a Sunday evening? I assume they must be.

2.) If all goes according to schedule our flight will arrive at 15:10. How long would it average to get through customes etc.? Would it be possible to check into our airport hotel, and then catch the train before it quits for the day or should we just count on taxi?

2.)Where is the station from the Ramada at PVG?

3.) What are the travel times/costs for train vs. Taxi into the city.

Thanks everyone!