Okonomiyaki in Tokyo

Search

Okonomiyaki in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okonomiyaki in Tokyo

I will be in Tokyo in about six weeks (yippee!) and would like a recommendation for a restaurant that serves okonomiyaki.When I visited Matsuyama a few years ago I was taken to several places that had a griddle built into the table so you could cook your own meal. The only place I have found in the US that serves oko. is in Hawaii and I am looking forward to having the real thing again. I think we will be staying somewhere near the Ginza. Thank you for any suggestions!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM

I saw a lot of okonomiyaki places around Tokyo but the only place I can remember seeing a bunch of them was in the Tsukishima area. There (and in Tokyo I think) it is called Monjayaki. Similar to okono but a lighter batter. They have okonomiyaki in these places also, see link:

http://www.sakuratei.co.jp/en/monja-yaki.html

Aloha!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I may have to try some on my way there while we are in Oahu...we go to Chibo in the Royal Hawaiian Center every time we are in Oahu! I am so happy I get to go to my two favorite places in the world...Hawaii and Japan!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Have one for me. That was my favorite meal in Japan. Maybe because it's impossible to get here.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Bonjour Everybody,

Okonomiyaki is rather easy to prepare at home. See one recipe here

http://www.kikkoman.com/cgi-bin/rcp....pe=Okonomiyaki

You can buy flour mixes where you only need to add meat, vegetables and eggs in Japanese foodstores.

BTW, the "World of Kikkoman" is full of mouth watering recipes ... http://www.kikkoman.com/index.html
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Okonomiyaki was a favorite meal of ours when we visited Japan last year. Fun & tasty. We went to a an okonomiyaki restaurant that we loved in the Asakusa area. Not being an expert in the cuisine, I can't rate it against all the rest but I will say that we were the only gaijin in there & they spoke no English (there was some English on the menu). The staff was very nice to us and helpful.

The restaurant name is Sometaro @ 2-2-2 Nishi-Asakusa (we read about it in the Frommer's guide). Traditional tatami mat w/ cushion seating & low table. If you happen to be visiting the Asakusa area I do recommend it.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Florence - thanks for the link.
I had the Hiroshima version which is made in layers and is more complicated, but I guess I can't afford to be an okanamiyak snob can I?
Time to print out some recipes.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone! I am surprised that the trend has not caught on here in the US, especially with the popularity of sushi. Maybe I will make my next fortune opening an Okonomiyaki chain! Ange, I will have one for you and wash it down with some cold sake!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Sake's out. High-end Shochu is where it's at now!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

I am so yesterday! Isn't that stronger than sake? I have to find my way back to the hotel!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:24 PM

I like the sweet potato shochu...kinda like vodka

Aloha!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM

I recently discovered that there are different styles of okonomiyaki in different parts of Japan. I remember having all of the ingredients stirred and poured out on a griddle in Kyoto and Osaka, but I also had the Hiroshima style which is done in layers. I've tried making it at home, and it never seems to come out as good as the restaurants. What am I doing wrong? Mine always come out heavy and doughy.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I may need to pop into the local Asian market to see if I can decipher the packages and get the correct ingredients. I think I will pick up a bottle of the sweet potato sochu too!