Notes on our trip. . .and a thank you!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading this board for about 3 years. We had planned a tour to Thailand for Oct. 2007. However, I had a bad fall and we had to cancel our plans. So, we booked for Jan. 26, 2010. We just returned from trip and I had to share some highlights . . .
We went with Smartours. Their price is unbelievable but there are many options that can raise the cost. However, with all the information from this board, I felt we could do many things independently. And, what a great time we had!
We spent our two free days in Bangkok exploring the MBK shops and touring Jim Thompson’s House. We really enjoyed his house. And, the restaurant was very good there. But, as some have said about MBK – it can be a bit overwhelming.
And, we spent a day with Tong!!! What a highlight that was!! She took us to the Railroad Market, the Floating Market, the Grand Palace and did a Klong tour. She added things that we hadn’t even expected. And, she fed us well! Everything was yummy. I felt like I knew her and, I must tell you, that she proudly carries her bag that you regulars gave her! It was a wonderful day.
Our tour ended in Chiang Mai. Our free day there was spent white water rafting. That was a first for us and another highlight.
We were part of a group of 32. Most were experienced travelers and many had been with Smartours before. Our guide, Ketsara, was one of the best we’ve ever had. She loved her job and she wanted us to love Thailand.
And, in conclusion, I just want to say thank you to all the nice people on this board. I have loved reading your stories, advice, witticisms, etc. In my travels I have searched many forums and this is truly one of the best! Thank you.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM

thanks for the report
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for checking in after your return from Thailand. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! When are you going back? haha
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the report. Glad you liked Tong. She is truly a treasure. What hotel did you stay at in Bangkok? Timely report, no penalty.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the report. It is reports back like yours that have assisted us in preparing for our first tript to BKK and Phuket.

We will be visiting BKK for 5 nights at the end of March Myself , wife and two daughters 11 and 15) and we have also engaged Tong to show us around.

Already she has been very professional in our communication and has provide suggestions to our intial requests that will accomodate all the families needs for an even greater holiday.

Looking forward to reporting back on our experience.

T