Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

HONG KONG EATING---looking for ideas.... book any ahead of arrival?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would welcome advice from Cicerone, Rkkwan, and from anyone else who knows the local dining scene. I would like to stick to Chinese food with an emphasis on HK style. We will have 5 dinners.

We will be a party of three and none of us has Chinese language skills. My friends are less adventurous than I am, so third floor dives on back streets of with no English-language menus are, unfortunately, not in the cards for this trip.

I have many hours of reading in front of me before I can ask intelligent questions and formulate a list. But I do have some names already and would like opinions on whether or not these are worth seeking out.

I would also like to know more about the hidden kitchens (I have Tim's on my preliminary list ) and about any other eating spots that I should book ahead of my arrival.

FU SING--Wanchai. Do they offer "regular" dinner dishes in addition to dim sum? I understand that they are less hectic at dinner hours than at lunch.

TIM'S KITCHEN--Still great? I would like to have a list of dishes to pre-order. So far I have: Crab claw, beef satay, crystal king prawns, crisp roast baby pigeon. I am afraid the truly exotic is off the list for this trip due to the sensitivities of my dinner companions.

HUTONG--Peking Road, TST. Crispy lamb ribs essential? Window table=great harbor view.

GUANGDONG BBQ RESTAURANT--How is the food and what is the atmosphere like?

MAK'S NOODLES (WELLINGTON STREET, CENTRAL)--Good lunch place?

LOAF ON--Sai Kung Wharf--good for a seafood dinner?

LUNG KING HEEN (FOUR SEASONS)--What is the approximate cost per person, without exotic celebration dishes?

BO INNOVATION--??

PEKING GARDEN--We might like to have one Peking duck dinner...(???) Is one location better than the other(s)?

Please feel free to comment on the above places and to add your own. My friends will want a fairly comfortable atmosphere for dinner, but anything goes at lunchtime.

Also, how late is dim sum served at lunchtime?
Do HK restaurants generally have any sort of dress code? I ask because one of my travel companion favors (gray) tennis shoes/sneakers as footwear.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Hi EK,
We used Ciccerones rest list and it was very useful. We went to a few of the places on your list. Hutong was very good but not HK ie Cantonese. It is more northern style food much of it very spicy. I liked the lamb but DW thought it was greasy and tough. Window tables get the best view but the view is pretty amazing from the tables farther away. We liked the food at Yun Fu another Aqua Group rest even better but it is underground so no view. We went to Noodle place across from Mak's on Wellington and loved it the room was a little more pleasant but still just tables you may share with locals slurping their noodles down in 5 minutes. We did Peking Duck at Penn's Cantonese place I am sure it cost more but it was best I have ever had and service was impeccable. We did Dim Sum at 2 different Lei Gardens and both were great and very local clientele. Another more upscale relaxed but more expensive place for Dim Sum is Loong Toh Yuen in the new Hullet House Complex another Aqua group place. Tim's form what I understood was a fixed menu and there are some "acquired taste dishes" included that might not appeal to your other diners. If you are in IFC Mall for lunch Lian had some of the best modern Viet/Thai food I have had since Thailand. Our last night at 4 Seasons we did Lung King Heen and were quite disappointed, it just did not live up to 3* standards or prices, maybe try for dim sum. If that is a Michelin 3* they are using a different scale than they do in Europe. HK has so many local places but you need a friend or guide that is local to figure it all out. I notice Bourdain always has a local guide to find all those hidden gems and they order the food for him. Good hunting!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Oh book dim sum places ahead. We were turned away from several and then started having concierge book for us or go very early or late. There are some good threads on Chowhound to try to figure out more local places.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

SCF: So helpful! Many thanks! I would never have thought to book dim sum ahead of time!

That is disappointing about LKH at the Four Seasons. As you know, although I have not yet responded to your post, I am still deciding upon hotels...if we stayed at 4S my friends would probably be happy eating in the hotel one night instead of following me all over town on a quest for food!

Interesting about Hutong---those lamb ribs sounded really good and I've liked the northern food I've had in the past--thought Beijing was a great food city and believe it or not, there is at least one great NE Chinese restaurant here in the NYC area--in Flushing!

I wanted to concentrate mostly on HK food but also give my friends some examples of different Chinese cuisines. They have probably never eaten Peking duck, for example!

I am going to keep Tim's on the list for now--when I book I can make sure there will be some "non-exotic" things to eat. My friends are really totally,hopelessly squeamish--I am sure they could eat pigeon with no problem, but not sure I would want to even put duck tongues on their table!

I have to have a good long look at Cicerone's restaurant threads. I am sure I will be back with many more questions.....

Thanks again!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM

If you are at the FS you are connected to IFC mall where there are lots of high end eateries of many types both western and Asian cuisines. I'm not talking US foodcourt mall food but some of the best HK has to offer. I ate some of the best croissant in IFC mall better than most in Paris. So your travel companions will be happy. I loved the Lamb at Hutongs but I love pig trotters, tete de veau etc. I found the Cantonese cuisine to be rather bland and it really relies on a lot on the exotic ingredients. Ye Shanghai near Hutong was also one of our favorites and it was a style I preferred to Cantonese. LKH was good food and good view but not near as good a view as you would have from a room on a much higher floor at FS. It just is not better than some of the other choices in town unless Riedel stemware is the the deciding factor. Service was not 3* no refolding of napkins when leaving table etc. Leaving old plates way too long. I know we have discussed foodie stuff on Euro board and Africa board in the past and if I go to someplace due to a 3* rating it better live up to it! You have to book dim sum ahead usually just a day ahead except Sundays book even earlier as that is family day at the houses of dim sum! They are packed and you might want to plan on another day of the week. I would book most places especially at lunch in Central as all the office workers pile out between 12:00 and 1:00 and they always have the inside track on reserved tables. If you go at 1:30 the tables are empty!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Just my opinion, but I'd forget Hutong. Despite the amazing view, the place was touristy and a gouge, I thought. The lamb was great but other dishes hit and miss.
For Peking duck, try Spring Deer. Like a restaurant out of the '40s (and I don't think they've changed the curtains since then) with florescent lighting, older waiters in white coats, lots of locals at big tables having loads of fun, ducks coming out of the kitchen by the dozens, and only a wee smattering of tourists. Get there early or late as there's no reservations (I believe). Delicious and lively.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:03 AM

2 recommendations from me

Sang Kee Seafood Restaurant
1/F & 2/F Hip Sang Building
107-117 Hennessy Rd
Wanchai
Tel 2575 2236, 2575 2239

www.sangkee.com.hk

Reservations a must for dinner

Lin Heung Tea House
G/F, 160-164
Wellington Street
Central

Tel 2544 4556

Famous for the dim sum in the morning and lunch. Go for dinner for classic Cantonese food. If you're there for dinner try the duck! Crowded throughout the day.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Hi ekscrunchy! From Cicerone's list we went to Yellow Door by the escalator and although it is mainly szechuan not cantonese we highly recommend it. Also the sister restaurant Kin's Kitchen in Causeway Bay, which is Cantonese.

Pics here.....Yellow Door first then follow the link to "restaurants 1" for Kin's Kitchen

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/2..._in_hong_.html
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

OOohh..great food for thought here! Many thanks for the recommendations!

Elizabeth-I loved the photos. Of course we are all used to great photos and words from you! I am afraid the Sichuan at the Yellow Door will be out for my friends. I will consider myself fortunate if I can, indeed, convince them that we need to eat Chinese food every night and there is no way they can tolerate the spices. But who knows, I may strike out on my own on a night or two so will keep it on my radar.

I like the looks of Sang Kee Seafood, too! Any special dishes to consider there? Also, KM, when you say reservations are a must, how long in advance would you suggest booking?
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM

alas, no Yellow Door! But Kin's Kitchen is perfect for your friends - no spicy/lovely flavours/lovely environment!

Off to Africa in 5 days for 2 months!!!!

Blog link here

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/africa/

Have a great time in Hong Kong - one of my favourite cities!
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 11:25 PM

<b>ekscrunchy</b>, I have a list of restaurant recommendations for Hong Kong which is now 40-pages, which I would be happy to e-mail it to you if you want to send me a message at [email protected]. It is broken down by view, no view, area, price and food type/region.

For your other questions:

Do not worry about not being able to read or speak Cantonese or any other dialect. You will not have any issue. Even if you hit upon a small place without an English menu you should be able to find someone to help you. (At bakeries, you just point, and you <i>must</i> go to a Hong Kong bakery at some time during your visit if you want the Complete Hong Kong Food Experience.)

Other than Petrus which I believe still requires jackets for men, there is no dress code in any restaurant to the best of my recollection. I would not worry too much about it. You can dress up if you want, but if you don’t, you should not really feel or look out of place, unless you are going to expensive hotel restaurants or someplace like Joel Robuchon (and even there no one would say anything or refuse you entry, your friend might just feel a bit out of place).

Dim sum is served anytime from about 9 – 5 pm. Most places tend to serve from about 11-3, but you can find a good number of places that serve outside those hours. I agree that for the very popular places, at lunch hour and especially on Sundays or a public holiday, you should make a booking. The drawback is that some of the best places do not take bookings. (Like Maxim’s City Hall.) So, I would just go on the early side or late side. Like 11:45 am. The entire country tends to eat lunch from 12 - 1 pm. (Although on Sunday this get stretched on either side.) So going before Noon or after about 1:30 pm makes a big difference in crowds.

Hutong – I actually think this place is worth it. Yes it is touristy. But the food is good and so are the views. (Just like Windows on the World or the Rainbow Room, but not as expensive.) My favourite is the Szechuan chicken in a basket. I agree that you do not need a window table, all the tables really offer a fine view. I always have fun there.

Bo Innovation – you would need a reservation here. I am of two minds on this place. It is certainly an experience, but I have not always enjoyed the food. It is not traditional Chinese in any way, and you may indeed end up with moussed duck tongue which it seems may not interest your friends. If your friends are not adventurous, this may not be the best place for them. You may want to try something like Yin Yang on Ship Street in Wan Chai which is more traditional Chinese (and organic), but I believe you have to be a party of 6 to make a reservation, so you may just have to see if she has availability on an evening.

Lung King Heen – Again, this is not traditional dim sum, it is what I call fusion dim sum. My Cantonese friends like it because it is not Cantonese dim sum, or at least he serves dishes that are not usually seen on typical menus here. I think it is quite good and different, but then again I am not a huge fan of Cantonese dim sum to begin with. It is very expensive. If you don’t mind spending the money, you may enjoy the experience. For dim sum, I would make a reservation.

Mak’s Noodles – absolutely worth a stop when strolling in the Hollywood Road area. I would make this lunch or a snack more than dinner personally.

Loaf On - I would not go all the way to Sai Kung for seafood. The Sai Kung area is absolutely gorgeous, and there is lots to see and do, but please do not take the time and trouble to go all the way out there by public transport just to have a seafood meal. If you want to hike/walk in the area, or take a boat trip, then having seafood afterwards is a good adjunct to that. However, there are many good places much closer where you can have a good seafood meal. Very little of the seafood in Sai Kung (or anywhere in Hong Kong) is local, so you are not going to Sai Kung for “fresh off the boat” seafood (and you wouldn’t want it, given our water pollution). It’s also quite expensive, which is the case with a lot of seafood in Hong Kong, but IMO even more so in places like Sai Kung and Lamma (although Lamma is easier to get to and more manageable for a tourist, IMO). If you are going all the way to Sai Kung for a meal, I would go to Restaurant 131, which is French, not Chinese, but fantastic. (It’s also a little harder to get to as it is not in Sai Kung town itself but worth the trouble.)

Peking Garden – of the two locations, you would likely find that the Central location is much less crowded at night, but could be packed at lunch. On the other hand, the TST location has harbour views, so it kind of depends on what you want. I agree that Spring Deer is a good place for Peking Duck, as is American Peking restaurant. I also think that the Man Ho restaurant in the JW Marriott has excellent Peking Duck (although it is primarily a Cantonese restaurant); however currently as they just redid the restaurant there is a waiting list for bookings, so call ahead.

Tim’s Kitchen – have not been in some years (before it received the star), I don’t hear anything bad about it. I am not sure I would order satay from a Cantonese chef. Beef is not a big part of the Cantonese diet, and satay sauce is not Cantonese in any event. I would go with Cantonese specialties, esp as they do seafood so well. (They steam fish to perfection IMO.) Or pork or chicken, which are the preferred meats here, esp pork. My only problem with crab claw is that it is so much work for so little meat, but the sauce is usually very good with the rice.

Fu Sing – have not been.

Guangdong BBQ Restaurant – have not been, but it is on Fodor’s list, see their review. My guess from reading the Fodor’s review is that it has no ambience at all, but perfectly fine food. (Expect bright florescent lights, Formica tables, etc).
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 02:13 AM

I was very happy to discover that Open Rice now has an English section. Admittedly my Chinese is pretty poor.

http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/index.htm
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

KM: Yes, I have been delving into OpenRice in my spare time! Do you live in HK, too?

Cicerone; Many thanks, again, for your list and for this additional information. The problem is a happy one: An overabundance of choice. I think that Tim's Kitchen and Fu Sing are "on the list" (Fu Sing based on info from Chowhound) as are either Spring Deer or Peking Garden. SangKee looks interesting, too! And then there is dim sum to think about!

Your list mentions a new place in the Aqua Restaurant Group--Yun Fu, that SCFPhoto liked a lot (see post above) While the website says this is a NW restaurant, the dishes are all over the map. But I think this is something my friends might really like--over the top, beautiful, with a very broad menu where they can find something that interests them. So I think it might be a good bet, too:

http://www.aqua.com.hk/#/?eng&yunFu&concept
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM

ekscrunchy

I live in Singapore. I've visited HK many times. Last year was there twice. Hope to visit before Chinese New Year.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

KM: Lucky you! I think you must live in THE best eating city on the planet! Singapore was the first place I ever visited in Asia so I have a "soft spot" in my heart for your home.
Many thanks for all of the HK tips; please add to this if you think of any other ideas, and I will return with more questions after I do a bit of reading.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

One place that looks really good for roast Cantonese meats in Wanchai:

Joy Hing, 265-267 Hennessey Road

Mentioned on quite a few food sites..any comments?
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Have to add this terrific link:

http://www.tableforthreeplease.com/2...ble-guest.html
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

..and one interesting Mongkok dim sum place, Tim Ho Wan, started by a former Four Seasons LKH chef. It received a Michelin star. Apparently it is tiny and you often have to wait in line:

http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/none/...m-quest-476978
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else care to comment on HK dining?
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM

I am in HK right now and had lunch yesterday at Lung King Heen. The dim sum was especially good (the goose buns were REALLY good!). I was with my brother who has eaten there several times, so he did all the ordering.

Some things I would pass on (the desserts), but we had the Honey Pork, the suckling pig, and several different dim sum. It was all delicious.

Maybe go for lunch so it's less expensice than dinner??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -