NORTHWEST AIRLINES TO CHINA

Oct 4th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Brenda

NORTHWEST AIRLINES TO CHINA

We are planning a Pacific Delight tour of China next fall. The airlines they offer are United and Northwest. There have been a lot of comments on United coach to China and a lot have not been favorable. Does anyone have experience with the Northwest Airline coach trips to China? Thanks.

Oct 4th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Ross

Hi Brenda;

I've flown both, and can tell you it's a tossup for which is worse. I hate Northwest more fiercely, but that's probably only because I've flown them more often, and have had some really ugly treatment at their hands. Compared with the Asian-based airlines, I find -- speaking generally, of course; there are always exceptions -- that both United and NW have cramped economy class cabins, indifferent-to-rude staff (except for NW's Asian-based flight crews, who are mostly Chinese or Japanese and are usually very good) and indifferent-to-inedible food. Sorry I can't be more encouraging. Just don't worry about the flight, and instead think of the fun you'll have at your destination!

Oct 5th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Kris

Brenda, we're going to Beijing with Pacific Delights on Northwest on Sunday. I'll report back when we return.

Oct 5th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Brenda

Kris, Have a wonderful trip and I'll look forward to hearing about it!!!

Oct 5th, 2001, 09:49 AM
andrew

Pacific Delight also uses Air Canada and Korean Air to China from the US.

Oct 5th, 2001, 02:59 PM
frequent traveler

Air Canada is no better than most of its Asian counterparts in terms of service. Go with Cathay Pacific if possible. I would stay away from Korean Air because of its scary safety record. Hope the Korean government could fix its top management. How often do you hear a pilot and his co-pilot arguing over how to land a Boeing 757 when the plane is approaching the runway?!

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Brenda

Dear Ross,
I didn't mean to ignore you, but I really love your outlook. No one is going to agree on the trip over, but from what I can understand, the sights and sounds are going to be worth whatever it takes to get there. THANKS for your input.........invaluable.
Brenda

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:31 PM
Brenda

Dear Andrew,
What kept you?
What's with Korea Airlines? I would prefer that you stick up for your company's choices of United & Northwest Airlines. Why did your company choose them; afterall, you aren't the least expensive tour company. Why don't you use Cathay or Singapore Airlines. The people on this site seem to prefer them.
I'm not saying that we won't use your company, but I just don't understand your choice of airlines.

Oct 6th, 2001, 09:36 AM
andrew

Brenda - Singapore and Cathay do not fly to China, just Hong Kong. Norhtwest and United are the only US airlines that fly to China.

Oct 6th, 2001, 03:42 PM
frequent traveler

Korean Air does not provide direct flight to China either.

Oct 7th, 2001, 05:08 PM
mimi

We took Northwest when we did the Pacific Delight tour of 24 days of China. We did not have trouble going and found the seats, food, etc. to be the same as any other American airline. Coming back we missed connections from Detroit because baggage took two hours to reach us. They were very sorry and paid for a meal and got us out on the next plane only two hours late. We also had enough miles from this trip to get a free plane ride in the U.S. which we will use this year.

Oct 8th, 2001, 07:59 AM
drtwpmd

In regards to Northwest Airlines to Asia, I have flown them twice in the past 12 months (Bangkok & Beijing) and have had good success with them. To Bangkok was in coach, and to Beijing in business class (through upgrading). Will be travelling back to BKK in January for a week at the Peninsula. Fortunately have accumulated enough miles to get their "elite" status which upgrades you to First Class on all NWA, KLM, and Continental flights. Trust me, there is a world of difference between the two. By the time you get back from China, you will have roughly 20,000 mi, and elite status starts at 25,000 mi in one calendar year. If you plan on any significant travels in the near future, I would encourage you to fly anywhere to get the extra 5,000 mi. The upgrades are the one true advantage to elite status, plus 50-125% added bonus miles on all flights (including Air China). I pretty much limit myself to the above airlines when at all possible to keep the elite status. That said, if you don't travel much, or frequent flyer miles don't interest you (they should), then I would base all flight purchases solely on cost. They all screw up from time to time and I would use any saved money for a more enjoyable trip at my destination. Good luck in China, we really enjoyed it.

Oct 8th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Fred

My wife and I flew Northwest to Beijing, and back from Shanghai this summer. The attendants were adequate, neither overly friendly or rude. Leg room was okay for average sized people. Nice landings overall. However, coming home the audio did not work so we could not listen to the movies and the lights did not work in our section so we could not read. Every flight was delayed for at least a 30 minutes due to problems with their battery or navigation system.We would fly them again IF they were the cheapest or the only airline, otherwise we would try another airline.

Oct 15th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Kris

Brenda, we are back from our very short Pacific Delight tour to Beijing. The flight on Northwest was adequate. Unless you're traveling first class I think flying for 13 hours on any plane is going to be merely adequate.

I think the seats are a little wider than on foreign carriers. Try to get an exit row or bulkhead seat. They showed 4-5 movies each direction so the flight didn't seem as long as I thought it would. I don't bother trying to sleep anymore, especially since both flights were morning flights. The food was typical airline food, we got 2 meals and a snack.

The tour was actually kind of strange since we were the only 2 in the group, we had our own car, driver and local guide. We did see a larger group of people with Pacific Delight, I assume they took a longer tour that included several cities. It looked like most of the people on the other tour were between 40 and 60. Our guide wasn't very good, didn't really explain much and had trouble answering our questions so we finally stopped asking. Needless to say we didn't opt for any of the optional tours. We found it pretty easy to get around on our own, used the metro and walked around easily.

The Great Wall Sheraton was a fabulous hotel, great breakfast buffet, good amenities, lots of service. It was a bit out of the way but taxis are incredibly cheap (the most was 30RMB, about $4, most were less than $2) and none of them tried to overcharge us.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oct 15th, 2001, 02:51 PM
TC

Dear "drtwpmd", Don't mean to burst your upgrade bubble, but NW Elite status does NOT get you upgraded to business (they don't have first) class on International flights. The upgrades are only good on domestic flights. My husband is Gold Elite (50,000 required) and even he can't get upgraded on International flights. Domestic upgrades are given on a Elite priority basis. This gives Platinum Elite (75,000 miles) first priority before Gold (50,000 miles) and then Silver (25,000 miles). Of course, "Million Milers" get to move right into First Class without hesitation. Check the fine print of the Elite promo material. You will also learn (by observation) that MM and Platinum "companions" usually have priority over Silver Elite. Sorry.

Oct 15th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Brenda

Dear Andrew,
Touche and thanks!!!

Oct 15th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Brenda

Thanks, Kris.
I really appreciate your getting back with me and telling me about your flight and trip!!!

Oct 16th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Steve

I flew with Northwest to Shanghai on a Pacific Delight package. The food could have been a little better in coach, but the flight was otherwise fine. The cabin staff was excellent. In fact, I had the same crew coming and going. Traveling to China on a foreign carrier means long layovers. Flying to New York on Korea Air to Beijing entails a 7-hour stop in Inchon. You get there on Northwest nine hours faster. Doesn't strike me as much of a choice.

Oct 26th, 2001, 10:42 AM
joanne

Going to BKK in Dec. on Northwest. Can somebody explain what the choices are for the special meals. Do they have seafood, vegetarian, low salt, etc. and what do they consist of? Maybe they would be a good choice to avoid the traditional chicken/beef. Any comments?

Oct 26th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Manny

We just came back on North West airlines from a 21 day trip with Pacific Delight.
The planes were half empty so there was plenty of room to stretch out.
It was the most grueling trip home we ever took.We had to get up at 2am to get to the airport at 3:30 am to leave at 6am from Singapore to Tokyo a 6 hour trip and then a 3hour layover in Tokyo and then 11 hours to Detroit with a 7 hour layover in Detroit to leave for Miami.It was 34 hours until we reached home.Northwest would not accomodate us
when I asked for a flight to West Palm instead of Miami which is 40 miles further from our house in Delray Beach
even though they had plenty of room on that flight.
The good thing was all our 12 flights throughout our trip was on time.
If you are on the 21 day Pacific Delight tour you will be staying at the top hotels but not eating lunch or dinners in them in China.
Enjoy Sincerely yours a very tired senior citizen. Manny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO