Northern Thailand itinerary help

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Thailand itinerary help

We've decided to scrap Phuket and head up to northern Thailand.

3 nights in Bangkok
2 nights in Siem Reap
maybe 4 nights in Northern Thailand
4 nights in Singapore (with friends there who will take us to malaysia)

What is the best way to see Northern Thailand. We are traveling with 2 teenagers.

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Let me begin by saying that two nights in Siem Reap just isn't enough. It takes a full three days just to see the major temples. I highly recommend that you add another night there. (Do note that Siem Reap is considered a malarial risk area)

There are, of course, many places to visit in Northern Thailand. Choose a place to be your base. Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai will be easiest in terms of air connections. If you can go to Chaing Rai and stay at the Anantara, they have a branch of the Elephant Conservation Camp on their grounds. They also offer cooking classes, and you could easily spend your time at the Anantara and the surrounding area. Note that this is also a malarial risk area.

If you opt for Chaing Mai, you'll want a driver for at least one day to take you to Doi Suthep and perhaps to an Elephant Camp. Another option is a day's trek or rafting. There have been a number of recent posts on companies to use to arrange such excursions. The Chaing Mai area is not consdered malarial risk.

If it were me (and, obviously, it isn't) I'd spend three nights in Siem Reap (still not enough time, but better) and three nights at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 01:20 PM

3 nights N. Thailand and 3 in Siem Riep. This will give you an opportunity to sample both thoroughly.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto. Three nights Siem Reap, three northern Thailand. The teenagers might enjoy Chiang Mai - more of a city there than Chiang Rai. The night market is lots of fun. The Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center (khantoke dinner with traditional and folk dancing) is also enjoyable - I think the teens would like it. And they'd love the Elephant Conservation Center near Lampang. But whether you go with Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, I'd definitely add a night to Siem Reap! Have fun!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Hint for kids-make sure the SR hotel has a good pool. As noted on other threads, if you use Ponheary as a guide, she can help with hotels at good rates. She can be reached at [email protected]
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Here is another vote for 3 nights in Siem Reap and 3 nights in northern Thailand.

We have not spent time in Chiang Mai so I cannot comment on the city's appeal but I can tell you that my two teenagers enjoyed the Anantara in Chiang Saen. It is remotely situated but the Elephant Conservation Camp there is wonderful, the pool is beautiful, the Opium Museum is across the street, and you can rent a longtail boat for an excursion on the Mekong. If you can get your adolescents up early -- I had a 50% success rate -- they can accompany you to the main road to make an offering to the monks. The temples in town are also worth exploring. The day that we went, it was just us and a few stray dogs on the premises.

Others can comment on Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Good luck with your decision.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM

3 nites SR, or don't go!!....on your 4th day take the 7PM flight thus giving yourselves another full day...

with only 3-4 days in the north of thailand i would confine it to chiang mai and enviorns...honestly i think i would prefer to spend the whole time in bkk instead of going north and hire cherry, ratt or pong or ming to take you out to the floating market and maybe to AY, and maybe the prasart museum instead of all the expense of going north and the time it takes....going and coming will consume one full day total....pick some place like the marriott resort and spa and just chill out in bkk for a full day too or two 1/2 days....the girls would love it....and they will love the bkk shopping too...
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Marya,

Could you tell me more about your itinerary ? Thanks