Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

If you had to choose, would you choose Chaing Mai or Siam Reap?

Nov 20th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

I think our schedule is too aggressive and I think we need to choose whether we should visit Chaing Mai or Siam Reap. We have not visited either previously and will be spending time in BKK and Krabi prior.
J
Nov 20th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Although I live in Chiang Mai and love it, I would have to say Siem Reap, unless you have absolutely no interest in looking at ruined temples.
Nov 20th, 2005, 06:04 PM

don't even have to think about that one: S I E M R E A P

i hate chiang mai and cannot understand why people go there, even my good friends...

SR will offer you something totally different....i suggest 4 days if you can spare it, with the 4th day being a 7PM departure so you have the whole day without paying the inflated hotel prices there and you get a really comfortable bed in bkk that nite..

sofitel is very nice if you can afford it... other wise there are many new places opening all the time....make sure you hire a driver at $20/day and i also suggest a guide....same price....they are life savers and touring is very hard in the extreme heat so an a/c car allows you to continue looking around longer...
Nov 20th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Depends what your interests are and what you want to experience. They are totally different.
Nov 20th, 2005, 10:25 PM

If you enjoy sightseeing and ruins and history and archietcture, Siem Reap. I loved it and have been there twice. Be warned though - it is not a relaxing trip as whatever time of year you go (I went once August and once Feb) it is WARM and you will get up early to tour temples in the coolest part of the day. Chiang Mai is very different - resorty hotels, good shopping, not a huge amount to see IMO tho I do like the city.
Nov 21st, 2005, 12:49 AM

I'd go for CM.
Nov 21st, 2005, 02:45 AM

Well as Glorialf says, it depends on your interests. I enjoyed Chang Mai - it would be hard not to, with the friendly vibes - and the Doi Suthep temple complex is gorgeous.

BUT - Angkhor is a totally different proposition. Absolutely mind-blowing. I wouldn't necessarily say it was more so than, say, the Taj Mahal, or St Mark's Cathedral, or x or y, - but it is world heritage listed for a reason. The town of Siem Riep was an eye opener with all these McGrecian hotels along the road from the airport - but the centre is still worth a wander around, and the old market is fun.

Sure it's warm and humid - but so what?
The light and the freshness of the air early morning is food for the soul.

Compared to that Chang Mai is just another overdeveloped town.

Just an opinion, for what it's worth.
Nov 21st, 2005, 03:45 AM

I was in Siem Reap in the early 1990s so in addition to heat and humidity I had to deal with horrendous hotels, khmer rouge and landmines. But I still loved it. It is a fabulous complex of temples. But it is a museum. If you're more interested in meeting people, seeing how people live or learning anything about the present condition/culture of the country you're in than you might enjoy Chiang Mai more. Or if they are both things you want to do eventually decide what you want to do now. From my perspective people are making a serious mistake when the only thing they see in Cambodia is Angkor. Even I saw more than that over 10 years ago. Now it's see the temples and leave. I like getting to know a country and you can't do that by seeing only one place especially if it is the only place that is truly a tourist destination.

As for all of you who slam Chiang Mai -- remember when you were touting the polls showing the Pen as number one hotel? Well that same poll had Chiang Mai as one of the top 10 cities in the world. Now I think both designations are absurd but it shows that different people love different things so before we say what someone should or shouldn't do we should find out what they really want in a travel experience.
Nov 21st, 2005, 06:59 AM
Jed

Having just been to both, the answer is: SR
Nov 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM

I also say Siem Reap. Although I liked CM, IMO it's nothing special.
Siem Reap was amazing.
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:26 PM

Siem Reap, no contest.
Nov 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM

your going to see the temples of angkor wat in siem reap...and they are one of the incredible wonders of the world...unbelieveable beauty. its very hot but worth all the expense and hassle to get there.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:47 AM

"From my perspective people are making a serious mistake when the only thing they see in Cambodia is Angkor".

Glorialf - Impossible to argue with that. Agree absolutely. But a lot of people feel they don't have the time.

Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:28 AM

fuzzylogic-- they don't have the to,e because they add it into a trip with several different countries. Personally if I only have two weeks I go to one country. And when I returned I'g go to another country.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:00 AM

scuse me -- I meant they don't have the "time"
Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:30 PM

Siem Reap without question...and I love going to CM. Yes, Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm and Banteay Srey are awesome but also check out Tonle Sap, take a boat ride out to through the floating village.

Although it is nice to be driven around in a car with AC, try and take a motor traveller (tuk tuk type) as much as possible. If it looks like it might rain, pick one that has see through roll ups for rain protection. Ask your guide to arrange one, also have her or him pick one that can accommodate at least 4 persons.

I found my guide always recommended a car no matter what-but a tuk tuk type vehicle was what I opted for, really nice, especially the ride into Angkor Wat. A car is essential for travelling long distances though.

Have fun!

Nov 23rd, 2005, 08:30 AM

I think it likely I'll go to Cambodia in April 2006. I take on board the comment as there being more to see than just Siem Reap. I've not started researching but in 7-10 days what else would give me a flavour of the country?I won't take internal flights but I don't mind long distance bus travel.
Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, Siam Reap it is!
Nov 24th, 2005, 02:59 AM

Frances,

You've tagged on to a thread that is effectively closed, so you may not get any responses.

Suggest posting your own question. Glorialf is an expert and will doubtless respond.

You need to say what you are interested in, and what your comfort requirements are, as there is no point recommending a place or a journey that you would find undo-able.

happy travels.
Dec 7th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Chaing Mai...