New Year in Bangkok

Search

New Year in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year in Bangkok

We will be in Bangkok around New Years. On New Years Day, will most of the sights and shops be open? I am only in Bangkok for 3 days and I need to plan my sightseeing for the temples, Grand Palace, etc. accordingly.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Most of the stores will be closed
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:33 AM

And the temples will be open.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:15 AM

You might want to go to the grounds around the Temple of the Emerald Buddha at dawn on New Year's Day. People begin the year by giving food to the monks. It's a very beautiful and moving spectacle -- at least it was 15 years ago. Then you can sign the New Year's greeting book for the King. I plan on going agin this year unless I find out it has changed.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:57 PM

We arrived in Bangkok two years ago on New Year's Day, and we, too, were wondering if this would be lost time. We were staying at the Royal Orchid, and after checking in we walked over to the....what do you call it? the River City Mall, I think, or something like that. Anyway, it's right next door to the hotel. Some of the shops were open, and we were able also to step outside right next to the river and arrange for a boat trip through the canals. That was a wonderful introduction to the city, and, also, what a treat it was to be served a wide selection of delicious and beautifully diplayed local fruit and juices. Also, some of the stalls were operating close to the hotel--clothing, purses, etc. In addition, we were approached on the street by someone who endeavored to direct us to a jewelry store in a shopping mall other than the one next to the Royal Orchid, so other centers may be open.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:31 AM

I too will be in Bangkok on New Year's Day - will the weekend market or the night market be open?