chinese new year in Bangkok

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chinese new year in Bangkok

I have just realized that we will be in BKK for Chinese new year. Does anyone know if the temples and other sights will be closed?
Is there something else that would be good to see at this time?
Also we have Tong booked. Is there anything special that we should do(Gift, card,Greeting}for her at this time of the year.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Chinese New Year is not a public holiday in Thailand. Some shops may be closed (if they are Chinese-owned), but otherwise things will be open per normal. Banks and tourists sites are open. There may be fireworks down on the river sponsored by various hotels.

I have not met Tong, but my understanding is that she is a Thai national and an ethnic Thai. She is more than likely a Thai Buddhist. As such, she would not celebrate the Lunar Chinese New Year. The Thai New Year is in April/May and is called Songkran.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM

The logical thing to do would be to go straight to Chinatown. The Chinese temples there, and the markets, full of New Year decorations are stunning - brave the crowds - dive in and be swept along.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM

I think on the actual days of the New Year (typically celebrated over 3 days but often longer) you will find much of Chinatown shut. The days leading up to Feb 7 will be quite active with people shopping and preparing for the celebrations and there are lots of decorations, but Feb 7-9 shops will be shut as people are home with their families. It's also bad luck to be open on the first day. Some shops may open on the second as there is some good luck associated with that, but they may only be open briefly on the second day. Some more may open on the third.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM

tong is selfless....anything you chose to give to her would be appreciated....she has a young daughter so a child's book might be nice...age about 3
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Now that I know that Tong has a child it makes it easy. All Chinese children receive "lucky envelopes" with a small amount of cash inside here(Oz) at CNY.The envelopes themselves are a work of art. I will try to get some before we leave.