Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

New laws for bars in Bangkok...will it stifle tourism?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the attractions of Bangkok has to have been the 24-hour activity. Bar hopping, nightclubs, dancing the night away, etc. But will the new laws make you change your mind about going to Thailand?

I guess the King has approved the new law which allows "bars" to be open only from something like 6pm to 1am. Some clubs used to be open until much later than that. It is now going to be illegal for a female to enter a bar unaccompanied??

I will certainly continue to go to BKK as I love the shopping and the friendly people. I am not a person who goes bar hopping, but I enjoy the live music at the nightclubs (Tawan Dang being my favorite). But there might be other folks out there who were going to BKK just for the night life. Will it make a difference? Is Singapore trying to get that business?

Your thoughts?

Carol
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:36 AM

i don't know what all those poor old expat soldiers will do when the bars close....
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:19 PM

The new laws was passed to cut down on the crime rate of misbehaving youths and gangs. It is quite a big problem and growing so I guess that this might help.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

The Thais seem to find ways of taking care of problem areas. I hope this works as well as some of their other tactics have. Hopefully it won't deter tourists from frequenting this wonderful country.
Carol
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:58 AM

for one thing the law was intended for locals. Zones catering too forigners such as Pat pong and Patchaburi were excempt from the law. it was not ment too curtail farang sex industr4y which is tiny compared too the thai and asian sector.. it is another attempt of the ministry of culture and other agencies too mold the people into what they feel is proper.

and as of yesterday the law was ratified. due too strong protest from night life workers..