Notices

Nepal, OK in December?

Oct 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Nepal, OK in December?

I'm just starting to plan my first trip to Nepal and would like to know if other travellers have found December (two weeks beginning on the 18th) a good time to travel. I'm hoping to trek for about a week or so, and then hang out for another week. My husband and I are in our 30s, active, and love the outdoors. In terms of budget, we've got enough to be comfortable, and if you know of a great place to stay, we're willing to splurge a bit for a few days (no more than $250+/night)

1. Will it be alright to travel/trek in December (nothing super taxing so I don't imagine we'll be at extremely high elevations)
2. Any suggestions on a good trekking for five-seven days (with such a short time, I imagine Annapoorna is probably the best bet. We're regular day hikers, and I've climbed Kilimanjaro)
3. Any other suggestions as we start to put an itinerary together.
4. Has anyone been to Tiger Tops and it is worth it?

Thank you for your help as we start to plan!

Oct 14th, 2005, 11:55 PM

ONly problem with planning Nepal is that travel advisories are issued about the country at short notice as the political climate has been a bit uncertain for the last couple years. Otherwise it is a lovely place. Suggest u work with a travel agent for all your trek arrangements as they will organize sherpas to go with you who carry the works. IN kathmandu Meridien has a golf course property which I hear is noce - www.gokarna.com. I 've heard Tiger Tops is stunning, on my list tho not been. In Kathmandu do the flight through the mountains - is a fab morning 30 min experience of seeing the Himalaya range.
Oct 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful suggestions!
Oct 15th, 2005, 03:59 PM

In Katmandu itself, the nicest place to stay is the Yak and Yeti. There are now a number of resorts out of town, such as le Meridian as mentioned by Hobbes. There is also a Hyatt that gets very good reviews.

Hobbes is right that Nepal has been quite unstable as of late. If you dod decide to go, I'd suggest waiting until you get to Kathmandu to arrange your trek. They will have better info about which routes aqre currently safe and it will cost you MUCH less than arranging through a travel agent outside of Nepal.
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:13 AM

I could recommend the Hyatt (Regency Club) for your stay in Kathmandu. Ask if they still do a 3 day Getaway Package. Fish Tail Lodge in Pokhara has a lovely location - actually on the lake (short boat ride to reach it) - showing its age but nothing to worry about. There is a Mountain Lodge just outside of Pokhara with the most fantastic views of the Annup Range. If I return, I will certainly stay there although it is about 30 miles from Pokhara. (For my first time it was better to stay in Pokhara).
If you can get down to Lumbini (Buddha's reputed birth place) - I can recommend the Hotel Nirvana. Temple Tiger Lodge was fabulous. On return to Kathmandu try Everest Panarama Hotel in Daman!! - fabulous views. Word of warning!! take PLENTY OF WARM CLOTHES it is really cold - especially at higher altitudes. Also, take a good umbrella for Kathmandue - when it rains, it rains. I would recommend you hire a car and driver - nice to see the countryside.

Have a good trip. Pat

Search this Thread