Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the new Landmark Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons, HK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be staying in Hong Kong at the beginning and the end of our 2 week trip to Asia (5 nights in HK total: 3 nights when we arrive and 2 nights before we depart). One of the two weekends we are going to stay at the Peninsula with a Kowloon River View. Instead of staying at the same hotel twice, I thought it might be interesting to try something else. Has anyone been to or stayed at the new Four Seasons or the new Landmark Mandarin Oriental?

As for the location, the Four Seasons says it's in the Financial District. Does it seem deserted at night when everyone goes home (like Wall Street in New York)?

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM

it is quite like wall street...

make sure while you are at the penn to go up to felix restaurant, and even if you don't eat there or go to the bar go to the men's room...its unbelievable...i think the ladies has some interesting things as well but not like the mens...
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much rhkkmk! I have been reading many of your posts, and all of the information and feedback you provide is really wonderful!

Is the new Mandarin in the same Financial District or would it have a better feeling at night? It's really hard to tell from the maps.

Thanks!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Both the Four Season and the Landmark are in the area called "Central". The Landmark is in a upscale mall/office complex in the older part, and is just a few minutes walk from Lan Kwai Fong, a street with lots of restaurants/bars - favorite hangouts of expatriates.

The Four Season is right by the water, on top of the Airport Express station and another upscale mall. But you have to take a taxi to Lan Kwai Fong or other areas at night.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice. We decided on the Intercontinental instead.
I appreciate it!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:50 PM

It's too bad you have decided to stay at the Intercontinental. It's also in Kowloon.. and since you wanted to change scenery... the Mandarin Oriental would be a great place. It's in Central & right next to Lang Kwai Fong & SOHO area... where all the pubs, restaurants are.it is the place to be if you want to check out the NIGHT LIFE. It's also closer to Causeway Bay *(great shopping at night) than Kowloon. I am not very fond of Kowloon so the Mandarin Oriental at Landmark will be the choice for me. Plus, there's a Harvey Nichols right next door and you get the best (high tea) afternoon tea there at the old Mandarin Oriental just a block away.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Sorry, there are so many errors here.

Central is tiny, and the "Financial District" is really a misnomer. It is nothing like Wall Street, which is a main street anchored by the NYSE and lined with banks and securities firms; this does not exist in Hong Kong. The stock exchange is in an anonymous office tower and is basically automated and runs 24 hours so you can't go by it. Banks and security firms are all over the place, Citibank isn't even in Central.

Any of the hotels on your list is fine, please don't stress over it.

While I am not exactly crazy about the location of the Four Seasons as it is across Co naught Road which is rather busy, you could easily walk to Lan Kwai Fong (via pedestrian walkways). A taxi is not necessary, and due to one way streets and highways would probably take you longer to get to LKF by taxi than walking would. It is also easy to walk to SOHO from the Four Seasons and is in fact easier as it would be a straight shot up Queen Victoria Street or other cross street to get to the escalator. It is also perfectly safe to walk at any hour of the night.

The Four Seasons is in a very large mall with many restaurants and would not really be dead at night, in fact most everyone in Hong Kong is going there every night to try everything out, including the great new movie theatre. it is also next to other malls and quite close to the Star Ferry piers.

I agree that the location of the Mandarin is closer to LKF. However, it is not really any closer to Causeway Bay, maybe by 3 or 4 blocks. You are not going to walk to Causeway Bay from either hotel.

The Interconti has spectacular views, the picture postcard views you have seen all your life of Hong Kong. The new Mandarin, great as it is (I have seen the lobby areas) does not have any views.

Curious to know what a Kowloon View Room is; I am assuming this is not a harbour view room. I would try for a harbour view room if you could.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this advice! I really appreciate it! I decided on the Intercontinental because the rates for a Deluxe Harbor View Room were so reasonable ($291) per night. We have heard from a few friends that have been in HK that is better to stay on the Kowloon side, but maybe that was because they have not been back since all of the new restaurants have opened in the IFC. We will be there two weekends at the beginning and end of our trip, the second of which we are staying at the Peninsula. Our thought process was that since we have the Harbor View the fist stay at the Intercontinental, that we would be fine with a city view at the Peninsula (and in return save $200 per night). The room is still on a high floor in the tower, and since we won't really be in the room that much we thought it would be fine.

I am a huge fan of Four Seasons, and we will actually be staying at the one in Chaing Mai, but I was not sure if it was worth the price of the room ($464 for a Harbor View room) when the Intercontinental was more reasonable.

Any thoughts? We are really excited to go out and try all of the new fun restaurants. Is it easy to take taxis at night back to the Kowloon side? Does the Starferry run all night with frequency? How much of an inconvenience is it to be on that side of town? We live in New York, so we are used to taking taxi's home at night...
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:56 AM

The Star Ferry runs till about midnight, the MTR around 12:45am. Taxis afterwards, and they are abundant. You do have to pay double the toll. From Central back to Tsimshatsui may run you about US$20 total.

Upscale malls like the ifc or the Landmark may be busy during the day, but I don't they are closed at 9pm. Even if they're not, they'll be quiet late night.

Even though people say Hong Kong is a city that doesn't sleep, it's really not like Manhattan where there are still plenty of people on the street at 3am. Most areas in Hong Kong are quiet by then.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

At least I know that we will be able to get back to the other side of town realitively easily at night...
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Sorry, I mean the shops in the malls should be closed by 9. Restaurants/bars will of course remain open.

I also mean that one has to pay double the toll for the cross-harbor tunnel. The meter fares remain the same. But still, US$20-25 should be enough.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Sabatino, where/how did you book your hotels? That seems to be a good rate for the Intercontinental.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Conde Naste Traveller ( U.S.A. edition for this month - if my memory is correct and if not November if it is out ),has a very good article on the reviving fortunes of HK and a piece on the new Mandarin - worth reading as there are other tips and places mentioned as far as bars and clubs .It also talks of the new boutique hotel designed by Phillipe Starck.Be warned most of the fashionable clubs are members only but it does talk of one that is not . Very envious .
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:08 PM

To put my two cents in, if you are staying on the Kowloon side for one leg of your visit, you might as well try the Hong Kong side for the other portion. You'll get different views and a different feel. I agree that a habour view room at the Four Seasons may not be worth it because it is really a view of the "wrong" side of the harbour, but staying on the Hong Kong side in general is not a bad idea.

Not quite sure I understand the comment that friends said it is better to stay on Kowloon side; I have said this before and will say it again: other than the view, some shopping and some restaurants the majority of sightseeing you will do is on Hong Kong Island. The Peak Tram, Stanley, Wan Chai (Suzie Wong), the lanes for shopping, Lan Kwai Fong, Soho, Hollywood Road, etc are all on Hong Kong Island.

If you decide to stay on the Hong Kong side, the Four Seasons over the new Mandarin would not make a huge difference, but I will say this: I was a cocktail party for the Asia Pacific Hotel Investment Conference last night and the buzz on the Four Seasons rooms was that they were not quite the standard of other Four Seasons. The lobby areas are nice (I have actually seen those), but people were disappointed with the rooms, and these are hoteliers speaking. That's all I can say. Heard good things about the rooms at the new Mandarin, but no views of course. There is also a Ritz, as well as the Conrad, Island Shangri La and the JW Marriott. Plus, as mentioned above there is the Jia, which is the new hotel designed by Philip Stark in Causeway Bay which is quite sleek. And being in Causeway Bay would give you a whole 'nother part of Hong Kong to experience. . . .

When you are staying at the Penn, don't forget that there are restaurants on that side, particularly the group of restaurants as One Peking Road, as well as Felix in the Penn and Spoon and Yu at the Interconti. You don't have to spend every night in Lan Kwai Fong. I think it would get old to take a taxi back each night through the tunnel from the Hong Kong side in any event.

City views at the Penn are not really of a city as you know it, they are of huge residential housing areas of Kowloon and the New Territories, it’s sort of like looking at Queens. . .if you aren't blocked by buildings behind you, you may also see the nine hills of Kowloon the distance. Pretty in the morning and on a clear day. Have to say the night views don't compare to the night views from the harbour view rooms but you will get that at the Interconti.

Websites for the Jia Hotel and One Peking Road are below

http://www.jiahongkong.com/
www.aqua.com.hk
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Cicerone,

Interesting about the buzz at the buzz at cocktail party for the Asia Pacific Hotel Investment Conference.
At that same meeting, the Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong was awarded the Development of the Year Award for 2005.
Four Seasons Hong Kong was chosen by a vote of all of the delegates, against several other development projects, including the new Landmark Mandarin Oriental.
Guess they must have liked it pretty well after all.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM

The vote had nothing to do with the room decor, that was the vote on the develoment deal itself. . . .whole different thing. The owners got a very, very good management contract from Four Seaons who were desperate to have a hotel in Hong Kong. Low management fees, short terms, the works. No other management company could come close to their offer, as they wanted to make money on managing the hotel, Four Seasons is willing to take a little loss leader here.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:04 AM

just back from HK, fantastic tme, I know youve just booked your hotel, landmark not finished yet, but have to agree with earlier poster, kowloon is a dump!!! we stayed at the island shangri_la on HKisland, out of this world!!! went across to , Kowloon only once for afternoon tea at the Peninsular hotel you must do it, lovely, but came straigt back, Kowloon full of tourist crap, anoying people trying to sell you suits etc, one of them followed us for 5 mins before giving up! What a contrast with the island, your with the actual people and thers somuch to see and do there, a lot of it non touristy everyone was so friendley we even had tea with a chineese couple we met in beautifull Hong Kong park,so loved the place would goback to the island tomorrow