Need plan and help for 3 nights in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to stop in Tokyo on the way to Bangkok. Our plane arrives at 4:00 p.m. When I search Hyperdia.com from Tokyo to Kyoto, it shows several trains from to Kyoto leaving as late as 9:00 p.m., which I assume we could make but can't find details of how to get from the airport train station to the correct station. It shows Shinkasen Nozoni, a number and a track number. I am thinking of spending two nights in Kyoto and then taking the train back to Tokyo for the last night. I know this is too short, but this is what we have. We'd love suggestions and any information about getting to Kyoto. Do we need to make advance reservations for a train -- hard since we don't know how long it will take to get to the right train station. Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 07:31 PM

consider flying to Osaka instead of the train and back
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 05:59 AM

On hyperdia, use "Narita Airport Terminal 1" as your origin, and the system will show you the trains to take. The easiest combination is the Narita Express to Shinagawa, changing to the shinkansen direct to Kyoto.

If you choose to buy a JR rail pass, you will not be able to use the Nozomi train. So, in hyperdia, click on "Search Details," and uncheck the Nozomi box.

The JR rail pass will save you some money, because you can also use it on the Narita Express trains. However, it will also cost you some time, because you are using the slower shinkansen trains, and because it will involve some extra paperwork when you arrive at Narita.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:55 AM

by Tokyo do you mean Narita or Haneda airport?

Stay the three nights in Tokyo. If you want to see temples day trip to Kamakura one day

Rhk suggestion makes more sense about flying into and out of either KIX or ITM if you are interested in Kyoto
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Don,
This is EXACTLY what I needed. We ARE flying into Narita because it's part of our Thailand/Cambodia tour and do want to see Kyoto. Shinagawa was the missing piece (and Narita Terminal 1). Thank you. We will probably not buy a rail pass since we're more concerned about time than money the night we get there. Does it take long to get through Customs, etc.?
Nancy
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 02:34 PM

Nancy,

The amount of time it takes to go through immigration & customs depnds mostly on how many other planes arrive at the time that you land. Late afternoon is the busiest time at Narita because that's when many of the ex-US flights land. That said, it has never taken me more than 45 mins to exit the airport after landing, and 20-40 minutes is the average.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Don. That is great. This trip looks like it will work. One other question. We are doing this in January, trying to have decent weather in Thailand. I have read one should have train reservations in advance. I would hope that time of year in Japan would be quiet enough to be able to get a train reservation when we get to the Narita station. Does that sound reasonable? And actually, is going to Kyoto and Tokyo in January OK?
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:51 PM

When in Jan? First few days of the year is super high season for travel.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

The 22nd.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 08:55 AM

maybe you can take advantage of the offers here for shinkansen fare and hotel room?

http://www.japanican.com/special/shinkansen/

January will be very cold in Tokyo and you will need to take a warm jacket and things to Thailand with you.....

Aloha!
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, hawaiiantraveler. That's an interesting option. That is the hotel I was considering due to its location and price. And yes, not the best combo of places and weather. It's just that the flight stops there and we've not been to Japan. How can one pass up the opportunity.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM

nwc7, Funny, our first trip to Japan a few years back was for three days on a stop over on our way home from Bangkok in January. We did the three days in Tokyo and I remember thinking at the time that I just wanted a glimpse of Japan and that would probably be enough for me. We will be doing our 11th trip back to Japan this fall.....

Aloha!