Search

Need Imput on my trip :) India, Thailand, Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Imput on my trip :) India, Thailand, Australia

Hello Everyone!

So I am looking at taking three months to travel starting December 1st and flying back March 1st.
I have been quoted with the following flights however will only be booking the open jaw portion(Toronto to Mumbai and Sydney to Toronto) in advance.
Toronto - Mumbai/Sydney- Toronto Flights Dec 01 to March 01 2015 $1950
Mumbai - Bangkok - $349.80 - Dec 16th
Bangkok - Adelaide - $391.48 Feb 01 2015
Sydney – Toronto – March 01 2015
With this trip design I will have two weeks in India, a month and a half in Southeast Asia, four weeks in Australia
I am very open to any and all suggestions. I have done a lot of traveling but never this far in advance! Really looking forward to having the time to plan properly.
I want to hit India (plans and destinations in progress) Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Australia.
I travel pretty cheaply and stay in hostels and couch surf.
Any budget advice would be much much appreciated as I am trying to travel on a budget and for as long as I can. If anyone have a rough daily travel expenses story or guide for any of the countries or cities I would love to hear about how much you spent. If I can get a grasp on how much it will cost me I will be in a better position to decide how much time I can spend where.
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:52 AM

You are going to S E Asia during peak season. Prices in Thailand, for example, will be higher than during the wetter/hotter months. That doesn't mean you can't do it on the cheap. This isn't necessarily the forum for cheap travel, as we discuss higher end hotels and restaurants more than hostels and street food. Lonely Planet (I have no web address) might be a better place to ask your questions. Just a suggestion... you'll get replies here fairly quickly.
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:25 AM

No idea on costs in India but you could easily get by on $50 US in Thailand staying in hostel and eating at street stalls and "local" places $10 will get you a dorm bed in a hostel $20, a private room. IME prices at these levels do not vary much wether it is high season or not.

A link to LP travel costs page

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand...on/money-costs similar pages will exist for your other destinations.

Australia will definitely be your most expensive destination by far. It is 6 years since I was last there and then it was the most expensive country I had ever visited. Since then, the Aussie $ has appreciated markedly making it even more expensive ( although it has weakened of late).

Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (with the exception of Siem Reap and Luang Prabang which are relatively expensive places, will have similar costs to Thailand ( perhaps a little cheaper).
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As crellston says, Australia will be sticker shock after Asia! You might want to add time to India and subtract from Australia (and not just for budgetary reasons - two weeks is awfully short for India). You can certainly do India cheaply. For travel use the trains - see http://www.seat61.com/India.htm - but note that December is high season and you must book ahead.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Suggest you put your Australia section in the South Pacific forum, along with rough dates & an idea of your interests.

And the fact that you want to travel as economically as possible. Have a look at www.wotif.com.au to give you somewhere to start on accommodation properties, location & costs.

Posting a nightly AU$ budget will give you better results than "cheap/reasonable/ budget ". These terms are too subjective to be much use.

You might also have a look at Airbnb.
Old May 15th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Firstly thank you so much for the advice so far!

A few more questions, how long do you think is reasonable for India? Also what are the thoughts on Bangladesh? Using the trains in India does seem like the best bet. The travel distances seem quite subjective to what day you go, what are the most popular and useful train routes that you've used and how much does the trip usually cost?
Again, I am planning in advance so any advice is definitely harbored and taken
Thanks again!!!!!
Natalie
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For up-to-date info on Indian trains including cost for main routes see seat61.com, already linked. For actual prices for all routes use cleartrip.com, where you will buy tickets, but read seat61.com first to decide which class you want.

India is a very big and very diverse country. My first visit was ten weeks, my second, South India only, was six. However, I forgot to mention that it has become more dangerous for solo women travelers. You need to consider whether a tour would be better - look at Intrepid.

My thoughts on Bangladesh are that it's not worth it, especially for a first trip to Asia. If it made sense to add another country, which it doesn't, I would look at Nepal. In fact, you could consider Nepal instead of India.

For my first trip to India, which was almost entirely by train, see wilhelmswords.com/asia2001 Have no idea what you mean about the distances being subjective, they are what they are.