Search

Ghana, Thailand, or India?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghana, Thailand, or India?

Since there isn't a forum that combines continents, I decided to post this here. Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to spend a semester studying abroad in Ghana (Legos), Thailand (Bangkok), or India (Hyderabad). I've done endless hours of research trying to narrow it down to just one, but I almost feel like researching makes it even harder -- they all look so great. I was hoping that someone on here had visited these countries before and could help me out -- any information would be great.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:32 PM

You should first choose based on the value of what you will get out of study program provided in each location as these are three very different places.

Also for the time you are away, do you want to live off of Ghanian, Thai, or Indian food? Which ethnic group do you want to live among?

You should also post this question on the Asia board since two of the options are in Asia.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Well from what I can tell, the academics are very poor in Ghana -- therefore the real "learning" comes from the culture and the contrast to modern life (I'm from the US, by the way).

I don't know much about the quality of education at the other two places, but I assume they're at least slightly better.

I guess I want to be as far away from "touristy" crap as possible, which is basically why I want to stay far away from Europe. I have a feeling Bangkok can be fairly touristy as well, which is why that may be ranked last (of the three) in my mind. The pictures of the Thailand countryside look amazing, though, and Thai food is my favorite kind of food period.

The possibility of working at an orphanage in Ghana appeals to me, and the possibility of taking yoga or sitar classes in India also highly appeals to me. There are definitely pros and cons of all countries which is why I'm looking for personal advice or experiences.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM

I've recently posted to you on the Asia forum. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 01:41 PM

what do you want to study? working in a orphanage or taking yoga all sound great, but not worth a semester of study. What do you want to do with this study? Where do you want it to lead to? How is your Thai? They speak English in Ghana and India, but not so much in Thailand. So, part of your time would be spent learning the language. Will you just go to the local university and take classes? What does your university and your advisor recommend? Where are their (your university/college) programs, and where do they and you have contacts to help you land on your feet, find lodging, all that? It sounds like you are trying to make this decision in a vacuum, but you really should take into account the circumstances of your future and your life.

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

This is being done through the ISEP program so lodging and such are all taken care of. I'm double-majoring in political science and women's studies and minoring in sociology. From what I can tell, none of the universities are notably better than the others in these areas.

I just want to experience a different culture and learn new ways of living and thinking. I don't necessarily need it to lead to anything in particular.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM

I will toss in my vote for India. There is the "touristy" India, but as a student you will be among everyday India.

Since India is well connected by train and air, you can visit many different areas during your stay. English is widely spoken there too.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM

yup, I would vote for either Ghana or India based on language - plain and simple you'll get more out of the experience if you can communicate. But, even so, the folks in the villages may not speak English.

They really are very different - which interests you more - Asia or Africa? you can always go to the other one at some point...
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Hyderabad .........
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM

If you go for Thailand stay away from Bangkok-go to Northern Thailand. The people move at a slower pace there. There are small villages that could use help.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 03:25 AM

Of those choices, I'd go for hyderabad too...
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Lagos isn't in Ghana,it's in Nigeria.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM

<<Lagos isn't in Ghana,it's in Nigeria>>

I think she meant Legon, home to the University of Ghana.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Ghana. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Good to know.