Good bye Europe board,hello Asia!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,I have just gotten back from my fourth year in a row in Italy,and it's time to step out of my comfort zone! I am posting my trip report on the Europe board for anyone who's interested,then I'm on to researching my first trip to India (actually my first trip beyond North America/Europe.) I'll have lots of questions for all of you. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Welcome aboard...lots of folks on this board have been doing Asia for decades.It's been a well kept travel secret.It's an incredible place to travel to. I'm glad you are getting out of your comfort zone.Why not, as a newbie to this area, start with Thailand instead of India?I've done three decades of Europe, but always do other continents,too since I take more than one overseas vacation a year. Once you're hooked on Asia, you're REALLY hooked. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:55 AM

India will be a real baptism of fire for you!

It will be an amazing experience you'll never forget.

If you feel that it maybe one step too far out of the comfort zone then Thailand is a safe bet.

But India is like nowhere else on earth. You'll either love it or hate it.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM

massagediva, while I haven't said goodbye to the Europe board, I did venture over here to plan a recent trip to Hong Kong. It was my first journey into Asia and I loved it. (There's a trip report here somewhere from a couple of weeks ago.)

The folks on the Asia board were a great source of helpful information ... and a great bunch of travellers.

Anselm
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:07 AM

As you start to think about India for a first trip-- one word of advice. Do NOT try to do the whole country. Take a small area and explore it. Otherwise you will see nothing but airports and you will not be happy. For a first trip to asia, I would suggest you go to the Rajasthan part of India along with Delhi and Agra. You can see a lot there in a 3 week time and it is filled with wonderful temples, art, scenery, wildlife, adventure, color and people. Hotels are wonderful as well. I think it is a great introduction to Asia and India.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,glorialf,you really helped me with your response. I chose India as my first place in Asia because I've been dreaming about it for a few years now,got to go with that pull! I think I'll be going with Intrepid Travel,as I'll be travelling alone and their trips (although I'm pretty anti-tour in general) sound like they would fit the bill for me. I'll certainly be back for more advice after I've done more research. Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:55 AM

massagediva -- you might also check out Myths and Mountains. They do excellent tours of India and their tours are very small.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Sorry-- forgot to give you their website: http://www.mythsandmountains.com

Their Rajastan trip is absolutely outstanding and if you get Arun as a guide you will have one of the best guides in India.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Just returned from India but have also done Hong Kong, Thailand and Bali, Indonesia. India will indeed be a baptism by fire for you. You should know what to expect from a tour company in India. I plan to post shortly on this topic. In the meantime check out my trip report at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34578710
I agree with the above poster that you will only be able to cover a small area. Do not take a tour where you stay in a different place every day.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Hi, I recently did a 2.5 week tour of Rajasthan with a company called Imaginative Traveller...It was fantastic, i am still dreaming of it..Now trying to plan South India..Happy planning. India is a fascinating country...
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM

A tip if you are flying to India is that Emirates has a daily non-stop from JFK to Dubai ( which is also nice for a dstopover ) and they fly onwards to a large number of destinations in India. They have an amazing network of flights, you get seatback TVs ecven in coach on 'every' aircraft. Also later this year Jet Airways which is a large domestic Indian Airline with a great reputation is spreading it's wings and hopes to be flying to NYC, they have a large domestic network and also about to start flying Eastbound routes to S.E.Asia. They have various deals for 'air pass' and Visit India fares, when you get to planning their site may be worth looking at for fares around India if you plan to do several destinations.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

You folks are great! Keep it coming.I'm planning to go for a month,will try to keep things sane,not attempt to cover too much ground.
I checked out Myths and Mountains.It looks lovely,but out of my price range! I've also considered Imaginative Traveller,they run a close second behind Intrepid for what I want,from what I see.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Work with a local agent and get them to customize a package for you. Will be cheapest. Rajasthan is always a treat. Other suggestions for your trip are Kerala/Sri Lanka (a month is good) and if you are planning summer then Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, Leh.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Message: You don't need a tour operator you can do India yourself. It is an easy country to travel around in. Definitely agree that you pick an area - southern India is a great start. Get some literature from the India High Commission, library etc.,pick a time, put together a "straw" itinerary and post it on this site and you will get loads of great advice.Flying to a major city, eg Mumbai and purchasing the rest of your itinerary from there is definitely cheaper.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

To be honest,folks,I don't particularly want to spend a month in India alone,just don't think it would be that much fun for me. I've travelled solo quite a bit in the past,but I don't think I want to now,and none of my friends or family is interested in going to India.