Need help with Thailand trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First: kudos to you all. Much like others, I have been reading and greatly enjoying your posts. I have been living vicariously through your travel plans.

Now it's my turn. I am planning a trip for the first two weeks of Dec/04 for my honeymoon. I need your suggestions and help.

I've been to BKK and Koh Samui, but not my mate. I loved them both. Here is what we are planning.

11/30 arrv at Hong Kong, stay 2 nights
- [A must see, as suggested by a very well traveled friend. We are not sure, nor do we know what to do once we get there! Suggestions?]
- Hotel: Ritz. Any comments?

12/2 arrv at BKK, stay 4 nights
- Hotel: Shangri La, Peninsula, suggestions?
- Shop 'til you drop during the day, and Patpong or bust at night
- Day trip or guide suggestion?
- Cooking class?
- Dining: I'm stealing all the suggestions made by rhkkmk! Thanks.

12/6 arrv at a beach, stay 4 nights
- Koh Samui or Phuket?
- Hotel?
- Night life? Would like a little clubbing, trance, etc.

12/11 arrv at BKK, stay 1 night

12/12 go home

Any nugget will be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Congratulations! Thailand is a lovely place for a honeymoon.

Hong Kong is, indeed, a fascinating and lively city. However, my recommendation would be to save it for your next trip to Asia. With just two weeks, you'll want to pare down your travel time as much as possible to slow down and enjoy your honeymoon. I'd suggest adding those two days to your Bangkok and beach times.

Bangkok has so much to do and see, you'll never get bored. Stay on the river, any of the hotels there would be great. The Pen is probably the winner for a honeymoon.

You'll probably want to go to a beach in the Phuket area, as it will be great weather that time of the year. There are many to choose from. If you do a search on this board you'll find lots of recommendations, then we can help you narrow it down.

I'd suggest taking a look at www.asiahotels.com for lots of good photos and reviews of the various hotels.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:59 AM

i think that of course i have some comments so will get on with them this evening when i have more time....to start either river hotel would be great...how about staying at the pen at the beginning of the trip and finsihing off at the sh-la or visa versa...??
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:18 PM

The Ritz in HK is on the island side and not the Kowloon side like say the Peninsula. Is a nice hotel and very centrally located so sure u will enjoy. Bkk I am not very fond of the Shang and would say if u want to do 2 diff hotels do The Pen and the Hour Seasons - then u will get an opportunity to stay on the river and in the city. Cooking class look at the Blue Elephant or the oriental. Loads of sightseeing suggestions on the forum - pull up some earlier threads. Mine are Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun and Jim T house.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM

I suggest stay at Penninsula in HK, it is great location and great restaurants. Splurge for Rolls Royce transfer - it's your honeymoon! $100 usd.
enjoy.
sophia
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Great, it is starting to take shape. We are getting really excited about this trip.

Sophia, thanks for given that great limo idea to my mate (she has been eagerly reading your responses). Thanks. I'll get even, later!

Ok, here is our updated trip:

11/30 arrv at HGK, stay 2 nights
- Hotel: Kowloon Hotel

12/2 arrv at BKK, stay 4 nights
- Hotel: Peninsula
- Shop 'til you drop during the day, and Patpong or bust at night
- Day trip or guide suggestion?
- Cooking class: Blue Elephant
- Dining: I'm stealing all the suggestions made by rhkkmk! Thanks.

12/6 arrv at Phuket, stay 5 nights
- Hotel: Dusit Laguna
- Night life? Would like a little clubbing, trance, etc.

12/11 arrv at BKK, stay 1 night
- Hotel: Four Season

12/12 go home

Any other suggestions would be more than welcomed, except from Sophia - just joking .

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:16 PM

a couple of thoughts....for a honeymoon stay at the peninsula in bkk for the longer stay and then shangri-la or conrad or jw marriott for the single nite....marriott is good because of easy access to highway for airport ....
harmonique is a great thai meal...baan khanitha on soi 23, sukhumvit rd is very nice---reservations necessary...food is generally very cheap in thailand and bkk is full of ethnic restaurants...
cooking class: oriental, shangri-la or blue elephant...all seem similar...

koh samui....peace resort is quiet and on a decent beach...great pool....get a beach front bungalow....good reasonable restaurant....the terrace restaurant on the main road south of chaewaeng beach is excellent as is the five islands restaurant....the pansea resort is fabulous but expensive...
there is a new marriott or anantara opening this fall...check it out...

hong kong..sites: the peak, satr ferry, waterfront park, shopping, wandering kowloon, visits to amberdeen and stanely
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Go see the Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel- its connected to a sky train station. We saw the show in April and it was fabulous- check out their website. Its Thailand ladyboys- a very classy show- be sure to bring your camera. Cocktail show about 8:30 and cost $25- well worth it- you won't regret it!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:49 AM

Dusit Laguna is nice but if nightlife is important to you you won't find anything there, you would need to be closer to Patong, or at least Kata or Karon or Kamala to get to/from Patong easily, forget trance clubs etc but you will find in Bangkok. Note that on Phuket in the entertainment area of Patong it's a strict 1 a.m close for bars/clubs etc and outside of that central entertainment area bars and everything will be closing at Midnight!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:04 AM

What is the website for the Calypso Cabaret?
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Gloria:
Run a search using Calypso Cabaret and you will find it. You can reserve your seats and they will hold them for you (without any deposit). There is a seating plan- ask for upfront middle seats. I suggest you pick up your tickets a day ahead just to be safe.
Make sure they send you a confirmation by e-mail.
Theater is not large so you really get a close up view of the show. Good music, dancing, costumes!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again for you great suggestions.

I am wondering whether we should pick another island such as Koh Samui (as suggested by rhkkmk)?

Also, any tour guide suggestions for BKK?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:03 AM

You don't need a tour guide for BKK but you might want to consider having a driver- Ratt- do a seach on this forum on Ratt and you will get plenty of info.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:54 AM

I would give more time to staying at the Four Seasons since it's in the heart of the major shopping which is one reason why I stay there.You mentioned shopping.Plus it's a great hotel. You can walk to a lot of stores and malls from the Four Seasons or go across the street to the sky train and go one stop to Siam...the main station where there are three malls...and then get on the sky train and go out the sukhumvit line to other malls especially Emporium. If you choose two different hotels in Bangkok, I would pick them in two different areas of the city...not both on the river as I think someone suggested.Also I'd skip Hong Kong on this trip and focus on Thailand.Absolutely order Nancy Chandler's map of Bangkok at nancychandler.net....it's a must!Happy Travels and honeymoon!