Need help with itinerary

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with itinerary

We thought we would take a 1 1/2 week vacation to Thailand following a business trip during the latter part of September. We would like to have the vacation be part relaxation and part sightseeing. Our initial thought is that we would take 4 days in Bangkok and follow that with some time at the beach. However, I have been reading some of the "posts" and Sept does not appear to be a good time to go to either Phuket or Samui. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As for a Bangkok hotel, most recommend the river (any along there seems nice). Does anyone have experience with the Dusit Thani hotel? (That's the one that my Thai friend recommends).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a good itinerary?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:55 AM

A friend and I were just discussing the Dusit Thani a couple of weeks ago, while dining at his wife's and his Thai restaurant here in L.A. area. He's American and is married to a Thai woman and lived in Bangkok for quite some time...over the last 20 years.She's from Bangkok. He said that the Dusit Thani has the best buffet in Bangkok and that whenever they go back to Bangkok for visits his wife insists that they go there.They like the hotel a lot. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:09 AM
sandi

At one time many years back the Dusit Thani had the best of reputations and is probably still a very good hotel. But these days, the freeway runs and practically built up against the entrance drive to the hotel - for that reason many prefer not to stay here and longer. You can probably get comparable or better prices at hotels located on the river.

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:44 AM

The Dusit Thani is not near the river, and a major freeway is just outside the front door. Across the freeway is a large park, which was rather interesting to see a large group of people gathered one Saturday evening doing yoga stretches. Some people jog in the park, however the pollution from the traffic in Bangkok is rather oppressive. The Skytrain has a stop nearby the Dusit Thani, which could be a plus. However, unless you intend to spend most of your time in the hotel, I would think about other accommadations.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM

The Dusit is a wonderful distinctively Thai Hotel. It certainly isn't in the "This hotel could be anywhere in the world" mold. The Lobby is exciting and popular with Thai society.

The Landmark rooms at the Dusit are worth the extra splurge, as they are more like suites and are in the separate distinctive tower. My only critisicm of the hotel is that I felt the hotel needed a bit of money spent on upkeep. Things were a just a bit worn at the edges.

By the river, for Value for money and something special I think the Krungthep wing at the Shangri La takes somes beating, (alternatively any room at the Peninsula). The Oriental is quite pricey and whilst many will praise it, it is IMO starting to suffer in comparison to other newer hotels, particularly when CW The Peninsula.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the help on the Dusit Thani. I think we will just go there for dinner one evening and stay at either the Shangri-la or the Peninsula by the river.

Any suggestions for a good beach resort or hotel suggestions for the last week of Sept? We are looking for a place to relax. Which would be better Phuket or Samui or another place we haven't thought of yet?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:24 PM

I think the weather in Samui will be better in September.

For an excellent hotel with diving opportunity's and seclusion - Le Royal Meridien Baan Taling Ngam. Perched in a very secluded location on the west coast.

Alternatively there is the Tongsai Bay Hotel and Santiburi resort (formerly the dusit, or about to become "formerly" - I think).