Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need a recommendation for Ubud- Hanging Gardens or Royal Pita Maha?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are staying in Ubud for a few nights as part of our honeymoon in Bali. The two places we are currently considering are the Royal Pita Maha and the Ubud Hanging Gardens. Can anyone provide any feedback?

We really want a villa with a private pool, a great view and access to Ubud.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 01:21 AM

I haven't been to the Royal Pita Maha so can't comment. I've been to the Ubud Hanging Gardens, but just for a look; I haven't actually stayed there.

It's located a little further out than most of the other resorts along the Ayung River, maybe another half an hour from the Four Seasons. Not much in itself, but it would make a difference if you plan to go back and forth to Ubud.

The resort is nearly vertical and has a cable car / funicular system that takes guests from the public areas down to their rooms. I felt that that would get old real fast.

Otherwise the decor was standard Bali. The views are spectacular. I didn't have a meal, but I understand that the French influence is a positive.

I'm a recent Como Shambhala convert. Staying there is a phenomenal experience -- especially if you're interested in their wellness activities. There's a huge problem, however, getting in and out of the resort so Iwouldn't recommend it as an adjunct to Ubud.

I also like Kayumanis, but only the villas with the views. These are full of charm and intimacy and have reasonable access to Ubud.

Robbie recently stayed at the renovated Kupu Kupu Barong and liked it very much. You could look for her trip report. And of course the Four Seasons continues to get high marks.

Another idea is a suite at the Alila. No private pool but a lovely room with wrap around balcony and a terrific view. The main pool is one of the nicest in Bali and the restaurant and spa are very good.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:49 AM

well i had visited Ubud last year, i had a great time there, from my personal experience i will recommend you to Ubud hanging Gardens, it will be best for you.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM

I have stayed at the Alila before. The rooms are very sparse, but monkeys in the morning, pool ok, food fantastic, spa ok.

I have stayed at the Maya Ubud a number of times in a villa with pool, just wonderful, pools at the hotel are wonderful, spa is fantastic, food is fantastic. Shuttle into Ubud.