Search

NARA QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NARA QUESTION

We will be boarding a cruise ship in Osaka and will be spending a few days prior to that in Osaka, doing area sightseeing. However, we will have one full day in port after boarding. What would be the best (easiest) route for taking a day trip to Nara? We already have plans for Kyoto. Thanks for any information. mhm
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM

Well, the easiest is not the best, IMO.

The best way, to go by train, would be easy. For example, you can take a JR train from JR Osaka station to Nara for 780 yen + 45 minutes each way. At Nara, you can walk to the sights or take a bus.

Depending on where you are staying in Osaka you might have to take a subway (or taxi) to get to/from a train station where you can catch a train to Nara.

There is also a Kintetsu Rail Co. train that goes between the Nanba (aka Namba) station in Osaka and Nara. Use KINTETSUNANBA and KINTETSUNARA at hyperdia.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:00 AM

Your hotel will certainly be able to help you with this.

The easiest way, not the best, is to take a tour bus that picks you up at your hotel, drives you around, and drops you back at your hotel. This will cost more, of course.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Our location for the day we would want to go to Nara would be the cruise ship pier. I think I have read that the subway comes to this location. So, the idea of taking the subway back to Namba station and going on from there, would be an option. You refer to a tour bus that makes a trip to Nara. Who operates such a tour? Thank you for the info. mhm
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:47 PM

Yes, I think it is the Osakako subway station at the pier. In that case you transfer from the subway to a JR train at Bentencho to go to Nara.

I don't know who might offer a tour from Kyoto. I was speculating based on the fact that there are day tours to Nara from Kyoto (Sunrise Tours).