Search

Myanmar River Cruises

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2015, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myanmar River Cruises

Hi,
I am working on my 14-day Myanmar trip and wondering if anyone has taken any of the river cruises? If so, which ships, did you like them, how was the food, the itinerary, comfort, etc.
Thanks!
Lauren
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM

I have not taken any of the cruises, though I have researched them. At some point, I'm sure we will take one of the Pandaw cruises, perhaps the Chidwin one that gets you off the usual track. If you only have 14 days in Burma I'd recommend no cruise, as it takes you away from the really amazing places you will want to see. The cruises typically stop for a day in Bagan - not nearly enough time if you any interest in seeing the temples. And cruises, of course, don't take you to Inle which is a highlight. An Irrawaddy cruise will let you see Mandalay and Bagan. I know a number of people who have done one of the many Mandalay to Bagan cruise - 2 or 3 days - and enjoyed it. In some ways, that is better than a longer cruise, as you can then spend some real time Bagan.

The Pandaw cruises get great reviews. The Pandaw people know Burma - they have been offering cruises there since at least the 1990s.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 11:56 PM

In the past I have had two cruises on the RTM, a converted Rhine cruiser and an expedition cruise to Bhamo on Pandaw. We enjoyed the traditional Pandaw so much that we have booked again for this winter.Note that many of the larger boats,including RTM could not reach Mandalay in January due to low water-Pandaw did not have that problem
There are detailed reviews on both on
http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/?src=nav
There is an active thread on tripadvisor which might be of use as it includes links to many of the websites of the new cruise companies,another 3 being launched this year-it will get crowded
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...s-Myanmar.html
SS
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 07:07 AM

Please take a look at my report of a Pandaw trip in September, 2014, posted on this forum. Pandaw has been advertising price specials and new destinations lately. You could combine a week's cruise on the upper Chinwin or upper Irrawaddy with a two-day visit to Bagan and a visit to Inle Lake, starting from Mandalay. ZZ
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 01:20 AM

I've been on two Pandaw cruises, first on the Mekong in March 2011, the second was Yangon to Mandalay in August 2013.
The experience was fantastic on both. The food was plentiful and varied, shore excursions were interesting, and you can explore on your own.
I would travel with them again,
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 12:14 AM

There have a been a few recent reviews on Belmond/RTM recently, posts 12,16 and 17 may help you
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...e-Myanmar.html
SS
Old May 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM

I too am playing with the idea of a river cruise - I usually avoid cruises and tours as I hate the idea of being herded here and there with large crowds, but wonder if for a first timer in S.E. Asia it might make sense to go with people who know the area (we are a couple in our 50's, and not really up for roughing it any longer). Can anyone speak to how regimented the cruises are and how many people they typically have onboard? Do you actually get to meet local people? thanks
Old May 10th, 2015, 07:45 PM

The Pandaw cruise boats are quite small - take a look at the Pandaw website for the info on all of the boats they use. (Larger boats on the Mekong, smaller on the Irrawaddy, but even their large boats are small by other cruise lines' standards.) All cruises are regimented - people have to get on and off the boat on time. That said, you do have the freedom to do what you want when you are off the boat - no requirement to go with the group.

But your assumptions about traveling in Asia need some revision:

"we are a couple in our 50's, and not really up for roughing it any longer"
- SE Asia is not a place where one needs to rough it unless you are on a very restricted budget. You can stay in 5 star hotels In SE Asia for the price of a Holiday Inn in the US. Hotel rooms are generally much larger than those in Europe, and the service is warm and gracious.

There is also no need for a tour of any sort. If you can travel on your own in Europe, you can travel very comfortably on your own in SE Asia. Most people you have contact with will speak English. Indeed, I've had less difficulty finding English-speakers in SE Asia than in some areas of Western Europe.

You have posted on a thread about Myanmar. Is that where you want to go? If so, this is one of the few countries in SE Asia where it is wise to work with a local agent. A local agent can book everything for you, and at better prices than you can get yourself.

Tell us where you want to go, how long you have, what your budget for hotels is per night and we can be helpful.
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:12 PM

Hi Kathy, that is indeed the kind of advice I was looking for - it all looks so intriguing and yet daunting. I am utterly fascinated by Myanmar - I was wondering if a trip that combined Bangkok, Chaing Mai (probably spelling it wrong) and Myanmar in say a 2 1/2 week time frame is doable. Also another complication, my husband being a teacher the trip would have to be in the summer which I gather is incredibly hot and steamy in S.E. asia - are we foolish to try then. and I know I should probably get off this thread and post myself, so thank you so much for the advice re English and hotels and tours oh my.
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM

You can certainly travel in SE Asia in the summer. Thailand and Myanmar are the absolute hottest in April not in June/July/Aug, but it will still be hot. There are some places you cannot get to at that time of the year, like Mrauk U and the southern beaches of the country.

Personally, I think trying to visit Myanmar, Bangkok and Chiang Mai in 2.5 weeks is too much. You don't want to rush Myanmar. It's a place to move slowly and savor.

You will likely have to fly in and out via Bangkok, and it makes sense to stop and spend a few days there.

Yes, do post a thread of your own as you have an idea of what you want and we can be helpful.