RV Pandaw (Burma River Cruises

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 02:25 PM
add
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV Pandaw (Burma River Cruises

We would be interested to hear of anyone's experience on the Pandaw river cruises in Burma from Mandalay. How were the accommocations, guides, etc. We are thinking about an early December trip. Thank you, Add
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:34 AM

We went on the Pandaw trip last Feb. and absolutely loved it. The boat was charming, teakwood cabins, nice dining room and very friendly staff. More casual than Orient Express and also much less expensive. We stopped in two villages on our route from Bagan to Mandalay which were the highlight of the trip. It truly was like stepping back in time.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 10:09 PM

I also was on the Pandaw in Feb 2003. It was amazing. More boutique style than other cruises. Intimate and comfortable.
We sailed from Mandalay to Bagan and only stopped in one village. What I liked about this cruise was that the captain arranged with the villagers not to ask for money from the passengers. And there was NO begging here (the only place in Myanmar where there wasn't) The captain gave a monthly "allowance" to the village to allow us to come in, and it is said to be divided equally there. There were several hawkers when we "docked" but not overwhelming.

A woman I met on the ship brought bubbles with her and the kids went wild trying to pop them!!!

There were no guides, though in the village stop. It was better that way. You could wander on your own and stop and go as you pleased.

only thing...they asked for tips, in marked envelopes at the end. I know some of this went to the village, but tipping isn't done in Burma.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Add: Did you take this cruise? If so, could you please give a report. I've begun planning for a Feb, 2005 trip and am seriously thinking about taking the RV Pandaw cruise from Mandalay to Began (or the reverse).
Thanks!
Jane
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Friends went on it a couple of years ago and said it was absolutely wonderful. They travel, independently, to that region of the world a lot and have done all types of trips,but said that the Pandaw really stood out. Happy travels!