Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

My Angkor Gallery and some Bagan questions

I'd like to invite you to my Angkor gallery:

http://www.wildlifeland.com/Angkor/

I also posted some tips there, mostly from
the photographer's point of view. Will try to
answer any questions you might have.

Can someone compare Angkor to Bagan, Burma?
I'm planing a trip there and I'm not sure what
to expect. My interest is purely photography,
let's say "visual" side of Bagan - sunsets, sunrises,
moody, wide shots of the site etc.

Andrew
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Andrew,

I was in Bagan during the new year and have traveled to Angkor a few years ago. I also enjoy taking many photos in Bagan as well as around Inle Lake but I'm only an keen amateur. Your photographs of Angkor are beautiful and I think you will enjoy Bagan as well.

The old temples in Bagan are smaller than in Angkor but the views to the temples are unobstructed by vegetation - meaning not many trees! I took photo from both the ground and the balloon ride over bagan and have some very nice pictures from the balloon.

Around dawn there were a lot of smoke and mist (mostly smoke from the wood fire) but it did clear up around 10 am onward. Sunsets were not as spectacular as the area around Inle Lake but at the right angle with a nice temple in the background I think you will have a pretty nice photo.

The equipment that I took along, very much like yours, were: Canon 5D + 24 - 70 F2.8 L, 70 - 300 DO IS and 50mm prime F1.4. I wish I had brought along a good tripod!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Forgot to mentioned that I went through 2 x 4 gb CF card in 4 days! I was shooting in RAW and carried a small digital IXUS(900IS) which I gave to my daughter for "casual" photographs.

Bagan was very dusty, almost desert like, and make sure that you bring a sensor cleaning kit with you!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Hanuman! When you say it's smoky
and misty in the morning, does it mean smoke
only or a morning fog as well? I've seen many
great shots with fog in the morning and would love
to take some of those, but smoke [email protected]

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:32 AM

snowboarder: Thanks for posting these - they are really beautiful! When were you there?

The lighting/coloring was beautiful on the Banteay Srey shots. In Ta Prohm, how thick is the tree canapy? Did you use a flash at all?

Loved the monkeys too!

Cyn
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Andrew,

I would say that it was mostly smoke from the wood fire with some fog or mist mixed into it. Apart from that it was a little hazy but as I've said from mid morning onward it cleared up nicely.

The 24 - 70 and the 50 shot wide open at "medium" ISO along with the low noise capability of the 5D gave me some of the best pictures during these hours. Inside the temples and stupas I was shooting at ISO 1600 - 3200 and the results were very good. I didn't have a tripod with me so I resorted to placing the camera on a solid surface and used the self timer instead - not a bad result but not the best either.

If you have the time I would strongly recommend that you visit around Inle Lake as well as this was one of best place in Myanmar to take photos. Lots of old temples, stupas, markets and life along and on the lake make a pretty good subject.

I had posted some photo at Shutterly but removed them all a couple of weeks ago. I will repost some photos for you but this is not the best site to view FF 13M pixel photo.

http://hanumanfodors.shutterfly.com/action/

Pictures 1 - 3 were taken from the balloon at different elevation. The time that the pictures were taken was around 6.45 am - 8 am. No. 4 was taken inside one of the temple, no. 5 was an old temple around Inle Lake and the last a stupa from around Inle Lake as well.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hanuman! Picture 2 is exactly what I have in mind...
A tripod is a must, but useless from the baloon )

thanks again,

Andrew
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Anyone been to Koh Ker, Banteay Chhmar, or other non Angkorian temples/ruins in the last 6 months? If so, can you give me any info on the trip to/from these areas?

Costs, ease of booking guides for them, etc..?

Thanks-
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the tips. You've got some great shots on your website.

I especially like your current picture of the month.