Multiple Airline Seats

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple Airline Seats

First - Thanks to all of you who have posted in the past about Thailand, I've been reading them and am pulling info for my trip

Second - I'm going to surprise my to-be wife with our honeymoon. We're going to Thailand between 11/5 and 11/17 (or thereabouts), so I'm probably going to be posting on and off for the next 3 months. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my question for this post:
Can I buy multiple seats (i.e. 4) for the 2 of us. That would be cheaper than buying 2 first class tickets and would provide more space (yes, I know not as comfortable, but for the money difference I think we'd rather spend it on something else).

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Regarding your third point- The better solution would executive economy offered on either Thai Air or Singapore Air. Exec econ offers almost as much room as a biz class seat but for only a few hundred more than regular coach. The service on either of these airlines is far superior to a regular domestic US carrier.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Congratulations. Your TBW will be happily surprised.

I completely agree with C-red. These two airlines provide great service even in economy. From the US east coast there is a wonderful JFK-BKK non-stop. From the west coast, LAX-BKK non-stop. Premium economy will be very nice. I think it's $200 extra per person per flight. Well worth it.

Try to maximize your time in Thailand. It's wonderful. If you have 12 days in Thailand, you can see three different locations, BKK, Northern Thailand and a beach (Phuket will probably have the best weather in mid-November). Thai Air flies many flights that can be fit into any schedule.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM

I would suggest 2 places for your vacation, probably Bangkok and a beach. 12 days minus travel time and jet lag would make it more like 10 days at most and it sounds like you would want this to be at least somewhat relaxing.

Just to add to great advice above, Asian airlines like the cheaper EVA also offers the special economy class which offers more legroom etc. I would also recommend spending a couple hundred more for that option, rather than getting 4 seats.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM

EVA of Taiwan also has premium economy on their flights, called either "Evergreen Deluxe" (on their 747-400s) or "Elite" (on their 777s). From SFO, LAX, or SEA, that's one connection via Taipei (TPE).
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM

I agree, you and your intended will be happier with one of the premium economy seats than with two coach seats! If you want something better than premium economy, look at business class prices... expensive, but they don't approach first class prices. One other thing to consider is whether you have frequent flier miles that can buy one ticket or upgrade two tickets to Busines class.

Tell us what city you are flying from and we can offer specific suggestions.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Forget the additional cost of Business class. As you said in your original post, save the money for great hotels and the like in Thailand. Luxury is so much more affordable there. For $250, you can stay at the Peninsula in BKK. That gets you a small room in Boston.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM

If you haven't gotten the message yet, I concur that you can do premium/executive/Evergreen deluxe/Elite from almost anywhere by connecting with either the east or the west coast. That is the way to go. Just avoid US carriers as much as possible.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM

But to answer the original question, yes, many airlines allow you to buy empty seats. However, they usually don't guarantee they won't "bump" out that seat if the flight is overbooked, and just give you a refund.

And with two people flying, I don't see the benefit of buying 4 seats. Many planes have 3-3-3 seating so buying 4 seats won't help you much.

If you can't find a good itinerary or price on the TG/SQ/BR with premium economy, then yes, you can consider buying just ONE extra seats. But again, it's not guaranteed.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I didn't even realize there was an update to coach. I've got to just pull the trigger and get some tickets before they skyrocket. I've been about $1175 / person for regular coach, so a couple extra hundred per person won't be too bad. I'll be flying from BOS to BKK (I expect that's the cheapest). Other than that I haven't booked anything else yet. I was thinking 3 areas (BKK, Chiang Mai, beaches, but maybe just 2 are good for a 12 day trip). Off to do more research thanks and keep your eyes peeled for other random posts I'll add in the next couple weeks.

Oh, I've e-mailed rhkkmk and I expect to be at the GTg in October in Boston. It's just a few miles from where I live.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Wg-is your trip 12 days total or 12 days on the ground (14 days total)? If 12 total, that's 10 on the ground and two places would be best. With 12 days on the ground, three is doable.

Take a look at Orbitz.com. Thery usually have a combination of a Delta (Comm Air) flight and the THai Air JFK-BKK flight. If you book this, you can call Thai Air and probably upgrade to premium economy. Also, that flight is configured 2-4-2, so you can get 2 seats separated from the others.

See you at the GTG.

BTW, have you tried eating at Similans on First Street in Cambridge. It's the best Thai food in town.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM

i would recommend searching for flights on www.kayak.com and www.sidestep.com. both of these sites search many various websites, so you can choose the best deal without looking at every other site separately. Also, if the same flight is cheaper on cheaptickets.com vs orbitz.com, it will tell you, which is great.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:01 PM

Just another thought on the flights -- when you call to reserve your seats you might mention to the airline rep that you will be on your honeymoon and that you would love an upgrade if the flight is not full -- they could note it in the record. Then when you check in for the flight in November you might mention it again (and point out that it is in the record). It is a long-shot, but you never know -- perhaps there will be room and a gate agent with a sense of romance will put you in business?! If you do decide to try this, make sure to "dress the part" -- can still be comfortable, but looking put together might help upgrade potential on certain airlines (we actually heard a story from friends who were offered an upgrade, but only if they'd be willing to change out of the jeans they were wearing at the time!). Good luck and congratulations....
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM

I would be very surprised if you were upgraded just by asking. With the flights so full nowdays, I haven't heard of anyone but the most elite frequent flyers getting upgrades on Asian flights.

The airlines have found that offering Y fares or miles+ cash upgrades brings in a lot more money than giving away the seats, and again assure that the elite staus members will usually benefit.

But, as wintertravel says, it never hurts to ask!