Mr./Mrs. Hawaiian Traveler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to tell you that the cook at Tamarind Cafe at Sukumvit, soi 20, is Hawaiian. The food there is great. When are you two leaving for BK? Happy Travels!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM

guen, whats the bruddahs name?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Guen:
We leave 2/20 will be in bkk on and on until 3/10 when we head to Japan. Do you know the chef's name? We would like to try this place as Linda loves to eat vegan. I myself love the meat and just about everything else
Aloha!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM

this is a vegan restaurant?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

It's a vegetarian restaurant...not vegan... I don't know the cook's name. Mr. HT...you won't even miss the meat. A MUST to order is the mushroom steak with gravy, rice and mixed vegetables...beyond amazing.The food is some of the best I've had in Bangkok and the place is just very laid back and chilled out. You'll love it. It has weird hours...Mon-Fri 3PM- midnight and Sat/Sun 10AM-Midnight. It's right across from the L.A. restauarant named,"Koi" which is architectually beautiful. It's about 300 meters into the soi. You can walk there from the Sheraton Sukhumvit....quite close....20 minutes. It's right between Asoke and Phrom Phong sky train stations. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks Guen ...will be sure to give this place a try.
Aloha!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:20 PM

pardon, but whats the difference between vegan and vegetarian?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:04 AM

A vegan will eat no food that is derived from animals or fish at all - so no butter, cheese etc, no gelatine, no eggs, fish sauce nor animal meat or fish . A vegetarian will not eat animal meat or fish meat.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

HT...Don't forget that the chu chee lobster, at Basil in the Sheraton Grande Sukumvit, is a MUST. It's the lobster in RED curry. Both the Pad Thai Talay(sp?)...the one with seafood and the sticky rice and mango were wonderful, too. And don't forget to try Sonie's at Sukumvit Soi 39. Just go one stop...from Asoke skytrain station...to Phrom Phong sky train station...where Emporium is.It's a 1 minute 20 second ride...I timed it out of curiosity. Soi 39 is almost directly across the street from Emporium...so the North side of the street...Emporium is on the South side of the street. You walk about 300 meters up soi 39 and Sonie's is on the LEFT side of the street. Try the sushi pizza appetizer...which the place is famous for. I had the ahi tuna in gravy with mashed potatoes and salad which was wonderful. This place is VERY popular. The pasta dishes looked delicious. A lot of people were ordering pasta. Sonie, is Japanese and went to cooking school in Japan, but ended up working in a steak house in Tennesee. He met a Thai woman,named Oil, whom he married and moved to Bangkok and opened his very eclectic-menu restaurant... cooking dishes that he likes. There's also a Sonie's at Thonglor...soi 55... in the Greyhound store fashion complex. I was at the complex and didn't even notice it. I got back to the apartment and read about the Thonglor location in a magazine.I'd already eaten at the soi 39 one...which is in a Japanese area. It's in a house. There's also a GREAT cake restaurant in Emporium. I don't remember the name of it. I'll look it up in my journal. I ought to remember the name of it since I had a piece of cake from the place nearly every day for three weeks. There are two of the same restauarants in the same mall. One day I went to have my cake and the manager saw me coming and waved at me and said,"Madam...sorry, but the cake you like is gone today since a woman came this morning and bought the whole cake!". Then he walked with me down to the other location...on the first level... and there were a few pieces left. We had good chit-chat and a good laugh. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM

bella, thanks for the info.

guen, sushi pizza? tuna with gravy and mashed potatoes?? wow! electic.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:54 AM

guen:
wow....from Japan to Tennessee to Bangkok...his food has to be good, we'll try to squeeze it in. We have Basil down for one nite when we are at the Sheraton Grand Suk. We are there for three nites, any other places to eat dinner in that area of town?

kuranosuke:
got your happi coat yet?

Aloha!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM

ht, at the cleaners with my yukata.

if you're looking for good italian, try la piola, down on soi 11 past bed.(you can boogie at q afterwards). they have two set menus, one if the full menu with a meat or fish dish. i went twice and both times had the light menu, but it was more than filling.(850b). tell mama angela the crazy hawaiians sent you. lol. and yes, go see our favorite waiter, anzo, very nice chap.

p or s?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that info kuranosuke. I'll try to try that Italian restauarnt when I'm there in the summer. And it's good to know that it's near,"Q" since on the next trip two Thai friends and I plan to go to both Old School R&B Wednesday night and Hip Hop Sunday night which I hear is jumpin'. When I was at Bed, the DJ was fabulous...spinning remix of Old School R&B and Hip Hop. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

As far as the vegan/vegetarian difference. Well, traditionally vegetarians don't eat animal FLESH. Some eat eggs, but that's not really flesh. Now, that it's become,"hip" to be vegetarian a lot of people have rewritten the definition and included chicken and fish which are both flesh....that is NOT traditional vegetarianism. As far as I'm concerned, I don't put myself into any one group. Since 1976, I've eaten macrobiotically...for years...and vegetarian...vegan...and one who eats all three plus some fish because I personally like the taste of fish and it also makes traveling easier.I, however, never eat meat/poultry. I've personally felt much better, over the decades, off of the stuff. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM

kurano:
thanks for the italian suggestion...you know it's my favorite.
my heart says s but you know what they say about that.
Aloha!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Mr/Mrs HT...If you need to go to a bank to exchange money while staying at the Sheraton Sukhumvit, there's a Bangkok Bank right at Emporium Mall at Phrom Phong station. When you get off the sky train go to your right, in the direction of Emporium Mall...but do NOT go up the ramp that leads into the mall. Instead go down the stairway that will be to your right and it will take you to the street level. At the bottom of the stairway go straight and then curve around the outside of the mall to your left. You will then come upon Bangkok Bank. Both the exchange section and the ATMs are right there. After you leave the exchange area, you can walk straight through the bank and exit out of the other bank door....ahead of you. You'll end up inside of the Emporium office towers and you'll notice straight ahead of you the Emporium Suites apartments(where I stayed). There will be an escalator to your LEFT. Go up the escalator to the top and then turn LEFT and walk to the end and make another LEFT and you will walk past some elevators. When you get to the opening (Starbucks) turn right and walk a few steps and then right again down a corridor. When you come out of the corridor you will see Ungaro(Paris) to your right and Charles Jordan Shoes(Paris) shoes to your left. You will now be inside of Emporium Mall on the first floor.The skytrain station will be one floor above you. If you look up, you'll see a GREEN sign. There will also be an elevator ahead of you to your RIGHT. Now, if you need to e-mail, you can take the elevator to the 3rd floor and when the door opens you will be right in the middle of the internet cafe or you can take the escalator up one floor and then change escalator to go up one more floor to get to the internet cafe. It's MUCH cheaper to e-mail from there than from your hotel. It's 40baht for 30 minutes. At the Four Seasons last summer I had to pay 7 times that amount, but I didn't feel like skytraining over to Emporium or searching for another place. I usually use Emporium's internet cafe when in town though. Now, when you come out of the corridor into the mall...Charles Jordan/Ungaro exit, if you want to go to a cafe/restaurant that has GREAT cake, then just make a LEFT when you come out of the corridor and walk past Charles Jordan to the end and there's a restauarnt right there. I can't remember the name but it starts with a "K". There's a big window with a view of the skytrain from the restaurant. The cakes called,"Coffee Genois'" and the "Apple/Macadamia Nut" are DELICIOUS. There is another restaurant of the same name up on the top floor of the mall.The restauarnt is very popular. There's also one in Paragon. If you want to go to the top floor of the Emporium mall...where the food court is also located, then when you come out of the Charles Jordan/Ungaro exit, then go to your RIGHT until you get to your first corridor opening and then turn RIGHT again. You'll walk past the Shanghai Tang store. Walk STRAIGHT and you'll see an escalator...this is the back way to get to the top floor and the fastest. Go up to the top and you'll come out near the other cake restaurant with the same name as the first floor one. It looks like a sidewalk cafe setting. Also on the top floor is the gourmet supermarket...very handy for stocking up on cold drinks to put in your refrigerator. There's a Thai food court in one area...everything written in Thai and then there's another food court with a mixture of restaurants...that's the food court past Burger King. One floor up, there are movie theaters. So, you can eat at these food courts. I remember you were asking for places to eat. Also there's Lemongrass Restaurant right on Soi 24 which is the side street to Emporium Mall...a five-minute walk if that. You can see the restaurant from the skytrain station. Well, that's all for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM

Mahalo Guen for the info...I just made a copy of this post and am taking it with us.It's getting so close I just can't wait!

Aloha!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:45 PM

Have a wonderful trip. And enjoy your stop at SJ!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM

Kathy:

I know Linda will enjoy the stop at SJ...I on the other hand.....

Aloha!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Have a blast Mr/Mrs.HT! Happy Travels!