Minimum time in India

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:53 PM
RJ

Minimum time in India

Due to my work I cannot get away for long periods of time. I have longed to go to India for many, many years. I've been a student of Yoga for 30 years. What is the minimum amount of time I could go there for? I realize that it is a long flight from the US and that one could spend years there and not see it all. But if you only had a short time, where would you go and how long would you stay?

Feb 8th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Ashwin

You do understand that its not possible to cover everything.Perhaps, if you could be more specific on what interests you and what is it that you expect from your trip,maybe I can help you out.

Feb 9th, 2002, 12:03 AM
rj

Ashwin; The problem is I'm interested in a lot. Hindism, The Arts, Yoga, Food, Temples, Ashrams. I have a friend who has a house in Delhi and I can stay with her for a bit. I love things from India: objects of art, jewelry, fabrics. I'm interested in Varanesi, Rishikesh, Kerala, Goa.... Taking lots of photographs. Of course, I realize that I will barely scratch the surface but if I don't start taking short trips there now and soon, I will never go and I'm getting older. Thanks for your feedback.

Feb 9th, 2002, 01:35 AM
Aarti

I agree with Ashwin, i think it all depends on what you're looking for. However, on a short trip, a good idea would be to stick to one area (i.e cover only the north, or the south at one time so you dont end up wasting time traveling).

Feb 10th, 2002, 02:32 PM
mari

Hi RJ...i just got back from india yesterday and had only a short time tosee what i wanted to see. I wanted to cover a lot of ground, so half way thru my trip i bought a "jet airways' see india air pass" for $500 plus $10 each leg....the distances are too vast to take the delapited trains and buses, so this was a great idea. I went to Delhi, Jaipur (just go to Jaipur for a day to shop and then leave...the touts are amazingly agressive...), Pushkar...great...Udaipur....lovely, romantic....then from Udaipur i flew to Cochin in Kerala, and then took a taxi to Varkula where i stayed for 9 days i was so enchanted...i even then flew up to the north again to meet a friend for three days, and it only cost me $40 becuase of the airpass....you can also get one for $750 for fifteen days....it might seem expensive, but there are indian prices and non indian prices and a round trip from Cochin to Delhi is $680.00 so its worth it...also, there is an ashram right outside of varkula that is quite popular...

good luck...!

Feb 10th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Bibiana

Hi there
Above replies are absolutely right. Choose a sector either north/south/ east/west and spend about 15/20 days checking your interests.
I'm here in Kerala and if you need any help in this area, I would be happy to help.
Cheers Bibiana

Feb 10th, 2002, 11:23 PM
rj

Thank you all so much for your responses. They are greatly appreciated. Mari, that is a great itinerary. How many days or weeks were you there? Are you in the U.S.?or did you fly from somewhere closer?

Feb 14th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Neeta

I would also suggest going to either the North or South and exploring that area. If you go to the North, I highly recommend Jaipur and Udaipur -- the Lake Palace there is unlike anything. Jaipur is enchanting, with so much history and beautiful palaces. Have a great trip!

Feb 15th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Ashwin

Hi RJ,
Sorry for the delay in replying.
The things you have mentioned have their own distinct identities in N,E,W and S of India.I guess as the others have already mentioned, you can stick to one region. I would advise you try South India,( though I admit most foreigners would like to see the Taj and other places on their first/short trip). You get to see the different arts , whether it is dance forms or sculpture, and also, the spicy food, delicacies in Kerala/Andhra. Ayurveda , ancient martial arts etc., have now become the symbol of Kerala.
Maybe you can squeeze in Goa if you plan for Kerala. Staying should not be a problem in South India. You get a lot of options suiting different budgets.

Wishing you luck !! Hope you go back wishing to come back again soon !!
Enjoy !!
Regards

Feb 15th, 2002, 06:54 PM
RJ

Thank you Ashwin for your help and suggestions.

Feb 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Gar

hi there,
hm, agrees with above: You cant see everthing in India. Perhaps that is why they believe in many lives ... So what to do? Act like You are on a holiday, not on a run. I dont believe in seeing all the wonders of India in 2 weeks. Guess You will just see the airports and train stations. We have been there only for 2 weeks, and we see nothing more then a "small" driangle Dehli, Kajaharu, Varanasi. No hill station, no Rajastan, no Kerala, no Mumbai ... But it was enough to blow our minds. It was such a great experience in culture and nature that it could have filled 10 weeks. So this is my advice: take the time You have and make it a slow trip. It is like slow food, it tastes better.
have fun
Gar

Feb 20th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Ashwin

In case you want more info about any place and the travel plans, I found this site www.traveljini.com most useful.
They are economical and from what I have heard, maintain a good reputation.
No personal experiences though.
let me know if any of you had any experience with them.
Thanks
Ashwin

Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:48 PM
rj

Gar; That is lovely advice. I will take it to heart. Thank you. rj