Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which city in China would you recommend for a first timer?

Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:16 AM
Amanda

We're considering going to China and haven't been before. Which city would you recommend for a 5-7 day visit? Why? We've traveled around Europe a lot but never to Asia.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:41 PM
Sue

Amanda--
We visited China last summer and there is so much to see that if you want to visit only one area you should do some research. If you want history then Beijing would be a good choice. If you want to see "nature" a Yangtze cruise might be an option. Tibet has a fascinating culture. And if you want to shop you could try Hong Kong.
I'd suggest you start by borrowing some China travel books from your library. Then you'll have an idea of what each city has to offer.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:03 PM
brian

Well, since none of the old China hands have replied, let me try. How about Hong Kong for a first trip? Oh, it's Asian alright. You'll know that as soon as you step into one of the local markets and see bags of live, writhing toads for sale. You can visit the world's largest outdoor sitting Buddha. You can go from a Manhattan-like setting to a fishing village by ferry in less than an hour. There's not as much English spoken as you might anticipate, but a lot of the signage is English, and it's harder to get lost. Transportation from the airport is easy and modern. You can get a smartcard transit pass good for subway, bus or ferry. If you go int the summer, you can swim. I saw the Peking Opera on a neighboring island. You can get a museum pass that takes you to five museums, transportation included. Hong Kong is safe, too, even at night. And ATMs are everywhere. 7 days might be a little much, but you can take the train to the mainland if you have a visa. Most people will be indifferent, but some really like Americans.

Now all the people who hate Kevin can write back and tell you that Hong Kong is not really China.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:41 PM
kang

In which month are you most likely going? Bejing would be too cold Dec. thru Feb. for many folks, and Hong Kong would be too hot and humid for many more folks June thru Sep.. You got the picture.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:58 PM
John G

Beijing, of course. I couldn't imagine going to China and not seeing the Great Wall of China, The Forbidden City, Tian. Square, Temple of Heaven, or taking a ride on the subway of Beijing.

Jan 4th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Michael

Hi,

Have been to China lots, and also to Hong Kong over 20 times. HK is great, however I agree with John - Beijing is the place to visit. And, you can not see all of the sites in 7 days, however you can see most things of interest.

Michael

Jan 4th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Brian

I agree Beijing is your best bet for Great Wall, Tianamen Square, Forbidden City, etc... Also try to take the train to Tianjin and experience this city as well. Much different than Beijing. Email me if you wish.

Jan 4th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Carol

This shouldn't be news to you based on the other replies, but Beijing would be my choice. I travel to Hong Kong every year for business and always take a few days for siteseeing when I'm in China. I did a great tour of Beijing last April with China Travel Service (one of the gov owned much like everything in China) thru the CTS office in Hong Kong. CTS is very reasonable priced and did a great job coordinating for three of us coming in at different times and from different parts of the world. Danny Chiu at CTS is great to work with and can be reached via e-mail at [email protected]

Jan 5th, 2002, 07:26 AM
pat

It cannot be anywhere else except Beijing/ Peking.

Jan 5th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Linc

In that order

1) Beijing
2) Shanghai
3) Xian

Feb 19th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Connie

5-7 days is a lot of time. We saw all the usual sites in two days.

Maybe you could take one of the Chinese airlines or train to HK or Shanghai and fly home from there.
I found them both to be clean and safe. Taking the train allows you to see the country which is so much different than the cities.

Feb 20th, 2002, 06:26 AM
VERONICA

BEIJING AND HONG KONG

Feb 20th, 2002, 08:14 AM
AnotherOpinion

Beijing - 1st priority for the historic sites.

Shanghai next.

Then HongKong - to me HK didn't have much that Shanghai doesn't have. And Shanghai seemed newer but still a little more chinese.

Mar 1st, 2002, 01:19 AM
Ursula

Paige, I am topping this for you. I agree with the previous posters. I suggest you stay some 6-7 days in Beijing to start with. There is a lot to see, but you also need time to get there like the Great Wall, Summer Palace and the Ming Tombs which are all a bit outside. Have been to Beijing, Hongkong and Guangzhou so far.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:31 PM
Connie

We were in Beijing, Hefei, Guanzhou and Hong Kong in late August, ealry September. All of the cities were warm but not unbearable. We were able to wear shorts all the time. My sister was in all these places in December and said it was VERY cold.

As a matter of fact we were supposed to be the next flight out on Sept. 11. Hong Kong was a pretty nice place to be stuck for four days.