Search

Mid Range Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid Range Hotels

Hi All!
Everyone keeps mentioning all of these swanky hotels and spas around Bangkok and Chiang Mai and Angkor at around $150 US. Maybe for our first few nights after arrival but after that I have to keep my poor little Canadian dollar in mind - can anyone refer - QUALITY and COMFORTABLE accommodations in these same areas more around the $60 US range?
Thanks Lilly
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:27 AM

There are plenty of nice, reasonably priced hotels in Thailand. I've mentioned Somerset Lakepoint before, but many of the students in my wife's program stay at the Imperial Impala on Soi 24 for a very reasonable/cheap rate. From the times I've been there, it seems fairly nice. You could also try the nicer Imperial Queen's Park on Soi 22, right next to a park and the Emporium shopping mall.
In Chiang Mai, we've stayed twice at Tamarind Village and truly enjoyed the atmosphere and location. Better yet, the discount rates for advance booking were below $100/nite, even for their best rooms. I believe there are plenty of other options in both cities so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:40 AM

As Dywong says, there are plenty of mid-range hotels. as a very rough 'back of the envelope calculation'..For Thailand:-
1>US$25-30 will get you a comforatble a/co twin room with breakfast, TV, bathroom, perhaps room service, probably a nice pool.
2>US$35-45 will get you a nicer place
3>US$50 will get you a very good hotel with very nice room, restaurant, coffee shop, bar, 24 hr r/svc and basically everything you need.

The price range of US$30-50 is where most people stay, you can get some real great places which would be called 'Good 3-star+' properties elsewhere.

Once you start paying US$60-100 you are getting 'class' places.

Angkor is different, seems most of the places that are bookable are at the high end, however I have heard good reports for some Guest House Hotels which I hope someone else can help with, do a 'search' as I am sure there were some postings recently on this subject.

If you budget US$40 a night you will stay in perfectly OK places. Tower Inn Bangkok is an example, the Impala also good. So many. You can find Cheap hotel rates for Thailand easily on Google etc. Try to use local based sites for the best choice as opposed to the mega US/Euro based giant sites which just don't have as much choice.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:03 PM

have you consdered priceline for the bangkok stay....it is within your price...look at biddingfortravel.com to understand how priceline works if you are not familiar with it....recent examples are bkk marriott resort and spa for $41 U>S>...some say canadians have trouble with priceline, but you can find ways to get around it i understand...like make up a us address
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:09 PM

lilly, we've stayed at the Royal River Hotel in Bangkok several times and it's a very nice place for the money. You can check it out on their website:

http://www.royalrivergroup.com/

We've taken it in package, so I don't know their exact rates, but you can plug in your dates and see what comes up. I'm sure you will find it within your budget. The rooms are comfortable, the beds are great, the rate includes a really SUPER breakfast buffet and the location on the river gives you access to water taxis, etc. (Traditional taxis in Bangkok are CHEAP, too.)

It really is a very nice hotel.