MBK opening hours?

Search

MBK opening hours?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBK opening hours?

Sorry, me again - finalising my notes time. We arrive back in Bangkok at 6.30pm (airport) we will stay near MBK so guess we wont be in our room till 7.30pm. Will MBK or shops nearby be open at night or only the night markets.
thanks again
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 03:54 AM

MBK opening hours are : 10:00-22:00 daily so you will manage a few hours shopping. Enjoy. Whats your whole Thai itinary? Would be interested to hear as it seems we are both into tigers AND shopping!!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 04:02 AM

U could also go to the Night Market at Suan Lum - shops open around 6 and are open until about 11. Central department store is also open until 10 PM daily.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Piri. As to our IT. We are really going to India and Nepal but have to fly through Bangkok so decided on a few days on the way over and not final but thinking - first day get picked up at airport 6.30am and drive straight to floating market then to hotel around lunchtime for a snooze as we probably didnt sleep on the plane! Staying at the Marriott Resort. Then next 3 days - the Wats, Klongs tour, Ayutthaya... dont wont to overload the wish list as I think the heat will get us as were from Melbourne Australia and its winter here now... Well check out of hotel early am and drive to Hell fire Pass and River Kwai (and tigers..) spend the night up there and we fly out the next day at 8pm...
So no real shopping on the way over as we cant carry it with us to Nepal. So 3 nights/2 days on the way back for Shopping! Timed it for the weekend market and moving hotel to the Pathumum Princess which is joined to MBK - ahhhhh - airconded shopping.. haha
Id Love to hear your plans????
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Cosmo ... how I envy you. India and Nepal! Wonderful.
Your Thai plans sound great. Perhaps one decadent suggestion on your return to Bangkok after a hectic/wonderful Saturday at Chatuchak market (fantastic). Why not indulge in an unforgetable lunch at Lord Jim's at the Oriental Hotel on the River. The Sunday Buffet is amazing. On my 3 previous visits there were very few tourists mainly locals and expatriates, but that was not in high season. The food, particularly the seafood (lobster, prepared in 3 different ways), was amazing plus the atmosphere and the opportunity after lunch to look around this lovely, historical,

hotel makes it a Bangkok highlight. The cost is just so reasonable by Melbourne standards, yet you are eating at one on the world's top hotels. Be sure to book on your way through though.
My IT in Novenber is 1 night BK , in China town, then 3 nights River Kwai Village Hotel, then 7 nights Tamarind Village Hotel in Chiang Mai, followed by 2 nights in Sukhothai at the Orchid Hibiscus Guesthouse, THEN , 9 nights at the Peninsula in Bangkok. I ADORE this hotel.Can't wait to get back to it and I have stayed at many great Bangkok hotels. Arn't we all so lucky!!!
Let me know if you have any questions. Yes, I'm also from Melbourne, if you didn't guess.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 06:49 AM
CFW

Piri, Sounds like you have had a lot of experience in Thailand and have some good recommendations. Can you share any other suggestions for restaurants in BKK. You have a lot of time in both BKK and Chiang Mai...can you share your plans of things to do in these cities. Sounds like you will have time to do more than the usual tourist & we'd love to hear your plans and recommendations. Thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 06:58 AM

a couple of other shopping suggestions are the jim thompson outlet on soi 93, sukhumvit rd and rasi sayan on soi 23, sukhumvit rd....while at rasi go next door for lunch at baan khanitha, one of the best thai restaurants in bkk---make a reservation....the jim thompson main store is fantastic also on surawong rd...they have a great cafe on the 2nd floor....
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi Piri - gee your a Thailand regular! Your holdiay sounds great - Id love to get up to Chang Mai & Rai if there was time... Where in Melb do you live?

Ive made a note of Lord Jims - can you give me an idea of prices for the lobster?...my husband will think he's in heaven.. then your having 9 nights at the Peninsular! thats what I call a holiday. Who did you book the hotel thru?
Thanks Bob for the reminder of Jim Thompsons main store, read it months ago but forgot - added it to the notes..... that are now fast approaching an encyclopedia...
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 03:45 PM

the lunch is a flat fee at lord jim...eat as much as you want...it is outstanding... i asked for the price in april and was told that currently it is about $27...1080B including tax, etc...its well worth it...go when you are very hungrary....

another new favorite of mine is dim sum at the conrad hotel at lunch time...about 1/2 the lord jim price..all you can eat but from a dim sum menu...restaurant is on the 3rd floor...it was a marvelous meal...

lastly the indian restaurant at the rembrandt hotel on its top floor has a fabulous sunday buffet---ends about 2PM...flat price and absolutely delicious...maybe $30 for 2....