Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok. looking for gr8 sterling silver places in Bangkok. ????

Jul 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys.
Really need your help and wealth of knowledge on Bangkok. im gonna be staying there very soon on a trip looking for sterling silver jewelry. im really looking for pieces inlaid with mother of pearl and abalone to buy for my grandmothers retail business. any suggestions on places to visit? wholesale prices? the bargaining process?! how much to barter?! also any ideas on shipping back to the u.s? would love to hear from you x
Jul 28th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Firstly, on a technical note, Thais rarely use the term "sterling". Rather, they refer to it most commonly as "925" which, as you should know, is a corruption of 92.5%, the silver content of sterling.

There's a jewelry center on Silom Road, not far from the Sofitel Silom. There are a lot of shops here, as well as a wholesale center, but I understand that you need "trade contacts" to get true wholesale access.

Most of the jewelry work is in gold, which is much more popular with Asians than silver for jewelry. Most of the really good silver work is turned out by individual craftsmen who often have their own shops.

There are some really interesting shops with unique work in the shopping arcade of the Intercontinental Hotel, next to Gaysorn plaza. On the other side of Gaysorn is Naraiphand, a sort of shopping mall dedicated to Thai handicrafts. There are several shops in the basement selling the more 'standard' types of silver jewelry. You should also check out the weekend market at Chatuchak park, especially the sections near the subway station and the new area known as "JJ Park".

Of course, if you really want to get to the source, you should visit Chiang Mai, which is Thailand's center for silver work. But if it was me, I'd be tempted to head south to Nakorn Sri Thammarat and pick up some niello pieces. You only ever see one or two good pieces in Bangkok, but in NST there are whole shops full of the stuff.
Jul 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM

while i have not seen too much jewerly in the shop, LIM silversmith on oriental lane (directly behind the oriental hotel) has fantastic sterling...they could head you in the right direction...they have 3 shops in that area....all along new road in the same area are tons of silver shops....mostly cheap silver but they also could head you for what you want....you might also ask nancy chandler (nancy chandler map fame) on her web site for some help
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:06 PM

peninsula plaza, next to the hyatt hotel, is another place to look
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Yeah, I agree with the above. I have bought my silver from the shops on New Road,too. There are a bunch of them. Happy Travels!
Jul 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Second Bob's Lim's suggestion. I hear they supply to the Links, London brand too. Wander the lanes near Lims, sure you will find stuff. Also, River City shops always have silver. I would also check out Gaysorn home floor. Also, opposite Gaysorn there is a small Thai Handicrafts Village which has some interesting flatware inlaid with sea snail and mother of pearl. These shops do not bargain much, you will be lucky to get 5-10% off. Check out the website of www.almeta.com, great store worth a dekko - not sure how much they do in silver, know they ship.